100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 28-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default round Britain trip off?

My much planned trip around th edge of the civilised world might be off for this year..things are just not working out..

I started work on one of my old Honda VT700's last week, thought I might use that as a steed.. Known faults, no hydrolics on clutch, sooty plugs, oversized rear tyre fitted to standard wheel to make plonker who owned it before me look good..Possible faults..brakes?

In the days before the government and businessmen sold all our factories and industries if you were working on a bike and needed a part, you could leave the bike in bits and nip round to the local stockist, get the part, and fit it all in the same day..now everything is a big deal.

Well I started with the most important job, the clutch. The engine runs, the lights work and the wheels rotate, so I need the clutch..

It only took a couple of days to get the new repair kits for the master and slave cylinders, cost about 100 for the two. I fitted both after the usual corrosion removal palarver, filled them with Dot4 and started to bleed them..soft as shit.. checked the clutch line (solid copper) for leaks and couldn't see any fluid anywhere..Now I've bled load of hydrolics before without problems so I stripped the master and slave again, checked the seals, disconnected both to make sure the fluid was travelling under finger pressure, everything seemed ok. so I reassembled the whole thing and tried again..same result..The only thing that was left was the clutch line so I decided to buy a braided hose, tape measure out and I started to lay it alongside the old line. It was then I noticed the small cover by the headstock, piece of black plastic about 6" across, just to make the bike look tidy. I unscrewed it and sure enough there was the leak..it must have been there for years..Bank holiday now so I can't get a hose off the shelf, I've sent an email and just have to wait..so thats another week..I looked at the front brake and there is plenty of meat left on the shoes, if the bike performs well I will need to replace the disk soon, but not now. The rear tyre will have to wait for the clutch, and Im pretty certain the rear brake shoes will need replacing because that is quite a difficult job and probably too much bother for the previous owner.

The days are getting shorter so I seem to have missed my best chance for this year..It looks like I'm going to start planning for next summer.

On the other hand, who knows what tomorrow may bring.

John
Old 28-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Chat Slut

John,
if it's a copper line I would try to just clean it up and solder over the damage. Bit of a bodge I know, but if it works and gets you going?.....
Old 28-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

The line is pretty old and if I couldn't get a better replacement for about 30 I might even try it, but with the other problems it is not worth a botch, I might as well do my best to give me a chance at making the full 4000 miles next time.

John.
Old 28-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Chat Slut

There's a fine line between a bodge and a repair . Often just a matter of judgement.
I agree it's better to replace though...
Hope it gets sorted out in time.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Chat Pimp

John, no point attempting it with the weather pattens we're having just now. If it was me, i'd be pencilling it in for April and May 2012.
Old 28-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

well I've got it on hold, who knows, if I get this bike right and there is enough daylight left..just maybe..

John.
Old 29-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Chatter Box

hopefully meet you next time you set off huh
Old 29-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Surely virtually anytime of the year is ok for UK distance riding providing you have both your bike and yourself properly prepared and are mentally prepared for the challenge ahead.
Afterall the UK typically has 2 weeks of typical summer "sunshine" & 2 weeks winter snow/ice.
The other 48 weeks of the year are mediocre grey shoite
Old 29-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
Surely virtually anytime of the year is ok for UK distance riding providing you have both your bike and yourself properly prepared and are mentally prepared for the challenge ahead.
Afterall the UK typically has 2 weeks of typical summer "sunshine" & 2 weeks winter snow/ice.
The other 48 weeks of the year are mediocre grey shoite
I Agree..except for the fact that I want to make a lot of stops for photographs without the rain ruining my camera...

John.
Old 29-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
I Agree..except for the fact that I want to make a lot of stops for photographs without the rain ruining my camera...

John.
How about putting your camera in a waterproof cover/bag. Or wrap the body in a freezer bag so it can't get wet?

I rode around 4hrs on Friday in horrendous weather on Friday, to get to a rally. But I wasn't fazed one bit as I was suitably prepared and attired. The bike was also well prepped
Old 29-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
How about putting your camera in a waterproof cover/bag. Or wrap the body in a freezer bag so it can't get wet?

I rode around 4hrs on Friday in horrendous weather on Friday, to get to a rally. But I wasn't fazed one bit as I was suitably prepared and attired. The bike was also well prepped
I can't remember the last time I went for a ride and it didn't bucket it down..If you want to make some money bet on it raining on the days I ride out.

But just once I would like to do some distance without it raining on me.

John.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:30 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Just to reiterate... Just let me know and I'll reserve your bed.

(Provided I aint away in Europe on my road trip)
Old 30-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
But just once I would like to do some distance without it raining on me..
I doubt there's a huge number of dry continuous periods in the UK, which os why it's inevitable your gonna get wet riding any great distance in the UK
That's why I enjoy riding in Spain & Portugal amount other places within mainland Europe
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Just fitted my new clutch hose today, braided stainless from Venhill made to measure 39.32 including delivery, ordered two days ago, delivered yesterday, took off the old clutch line and rubbed down and painted the frame where the old one had leaked..It's nice when something goes right.
Just need a drop of fresh Dot 4 and then it's the back tyre and brakes..I will need to do the carbs before I leave but that might just be a clean..If I'm lucky..

John.