100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 24-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Chatter Box

Default Riding in Europe

Anyone know of any guides to riding abroad? I'm looking at riding in Holland specifically, and whether I will need to fit indicators, carry spare bulbs etc.
Cheers.
Old 24-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Technically you're supposed to carry spare bulbs but in the twenty odd years I've been going abroad, I've never taken a set. Personally I couldn't ride a bike without indicators but each to their own so I can't comment on that. And if you've never been to Europe on a bike before, remember to ride on the other side of the road and junctions are also great fun trying to remember which lane to take. Don't worry though. I've been going for years and I still sometime forget.

I believe a GB sticker is also necessary but you can get those plates made up with them on. I've been abroad a few times without them though and never been pulled.

Oh, and make sure your lights are on at all times. I've heard of Brits getting pulled for it a few times.
Old 24-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

You won't like it, there are almost as many foreigners there as we have, most of them are deaf or stupid so shout and speak slowly..

John.
Old 24-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Chat Slapper

You need to carry your V5C, MOT and Licence. Bulbs and warning triangles are generally only a requirement in 4 wheels but most European countries insist on a Hi Viz vest incase of breakdown.

Regarding indicators, if your bike is legal here it will be there but I, personally, wouldn't ride in Europe without them, Dutch drivers are surprisingly un "bike aware". The drugs are good though
Old 25-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
You won't like it, there are almost as many foreigners there as we have, most of them are deaf or stupid so shout and speak slowly..

John.
A bit like going to Wales then
Old 25-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Chat Slapper

I'm off to Champagne in June.

Where do I stick a GB sticker ?
I've only got a goretex backpack.
Old 25-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Chat Slapper

Get a number plate with the badge on it and you don't need another sticker
Old 26-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Make sure you've at least got your European Health Card (old E111) or better still some travel insurance, but make sure it covers riding as many only cover up to a low cc. Try Navigator Travel Insurance (Voyager Insurance Services Limited). Don't think there's any special jabs just make sure your up to date on the usual e/g tetanus.

Your moto insurance should cover you for your trip, you won't need a green card in this part of the EU (they're notoriously hard to get issued by your provider anyway). Don't bother with huge chans and locks, a disc lock, cable and rain cover will suffice: out of sight is out of mind.

Get some breakdown cover just in case, AA EU breakdown is very good. I wouldn't bother with tools, just service the bike if necessary before you leave, There's loads of places and people to help you out if things go tits up. Don't forget your spare key, put it somewhere safe.

As for a GB sticker, buy yourself a GB/euro number plate sticker from somewhere like halfrauds http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/815274/reviews.htm

For back up, get yourself a Halifax Clarity credit card or zero fee card for your hassle free & CHEAP overseas purchases (no BS fees), just pay the balance in full every month and only use it abroad. Let your bank know where you're going and when so your cards aren't declined. I keep a spare credit card with some local currency in my owners manual under the seat for emergencies.

Border crossings are easy as it' all in the Schengen agreement, but you'll still need your passport to get in and out of the UK and for stops, maybe hotels too.

You wont need an International drivers license but make sure you take both parts, indeed take all your papers, in case you're stopped by the rozzers. Scan or copy all your papers in case they're lost, stolen or damaged.

Prepare for punctures. If you're running on tubeless just use 'Stop n go' otherwise you'll need tubes, tools and a repair kit (and obviously the know how - its very easy).

The worlds your oyster for routes and destinations, just don't over plan. A GPS will help in cities - download the free OSM maps. If in doubt hire a taxi and follow it to your destination.

If budget is an issue, or even if it's not, try wild camping, it's great. Use hostels and couchsurf (the ADVrider tent space and the Hubb communities are a great resource) as they're a great way to meet other bikers and travelers.

The most useful medical items will be ibuprofen, lip balm and sun screen. Drink plenty of fluids on the road as its easy to get dehydrated.

Turn off the roaming on your phone, you'll get raped on charges,.. if you need a phone buy a sim card when you get there. Have a copy of phone numbers and other contacts in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

Avoid big mile days, stop often, meet people, take lots of photos
I think that just about covers it.

Last edited by Peirre; 26-03-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 26-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Chatter Box

Thanks for the comprehensive replies chaps, much appreciated.
Old 26-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
Make sure you've at least got your European Health Card (old E111)

The worlds your oyster for routes and destinations, just don't over plan. A GPS will help in cities - download the free OSM maps. If in doubt hire a taxi and follow it to your destination.

Avoid big mile days.
The EHIC can be applied for here and is essential.

I have a GPS app on my android phone and is fantastic. Plus you can download any European country for free which, as a Yorkshireman, is my favourite price

As to the last bit, around 400 mile is enough for one day unless you really need to be somewhere I once road back from Port Grimaud (just outside St. Tropez in southern France) to Bradford in one day. That was a hard ride!
Old 26-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster
Default Part 2

OK

On a bike..... ignore anything you might have read (or been told by the bloke down the pub's best friend's wife) about hi-viz, breathalysers, bulbs, stickers, visors, first aid kits and just about anything else, too.

You will need the original of:

1.Valid and current passport
2.Valid and current driving licence. If you have a picture version, take BOTH parts
3.Valid and current certificate of insurance for the vehicle
4.Valid and current V5 document. If you are not the owner of the vehicle you will also need a current and valid letter of authority (from the owner) to remove the vehicle from the UK
5. Your and your wife's, or your pillions current and valid EU reciprocal healthcare card (EHIC) ..... as Mortis pointed out

I can`t emphasise how important it is, you are well advised to buy good Breakdown insurance** and good Travel insurance for you and your wife/pillion. Check carefully that the insurance is valid for the capacity of motorcycle you intend to ride, as many exclude bikes over 125cc. If in doubt, or maybe thinking that you can survive on just the EHIC card, ponder how far you can push a motorcycle with a broken clutch, whilst nursing a busted leg and a temperature of 103. don't also forget that you'll have your pillion to push, too. Maps (preferably of where you intend to go) are good too. Michelin maps for the area your going (scale 1:200 000) are the preferred choice.

Though I can assure you that its true, that a bunch of (oirish) guys rode from Belfast to faro with nuffin more than the lid off a biscuit tin lid with a vague map of Europe on it, to show em the way

** it took me 6 weeks to get my bike recovered back to the UK from Lyon in France last July after the alternator failed 1900+ metres up at the top of Col du Madeleine, which mean`t I had to coast down hill for 5+ mile to get off the mountain to the nearest town.
Thank feck for breakdown cover, the dealer wanted 1300 to fix it, I fixed it for 80 when I got it home
Old 13-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Chat Slapper

Just come back from 6 days in France.
I checked out the RAC website for legal stuff to take.
Ended up getting a GB sticker for the numberplate, and a couple of the others had bulbs and a Hi Viz jacket, puntcture kit etc.
I also bought reflective stickers. Only 1.00, but I never seen a single copper or camera or anything while I was there.

I agree with getting good recovery and travel insurance though.
Old 16-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Breakdown & medical insurance

Anyone needing comprehensive European breakdown cover should take a look at membership of the ADAC the German equivalent of the Uk`s AA/RAC (Link for info in English), their annual multi trip Single plus membership for an individual is only €79.50 (about 65) which will cover you for any vehicle your in even up to a 7.5t motorhome. (ADAC also offer very good 'personal' cover which is included). The Single plus aspect is the recovery/relay back to your home. Even from abroad
Anyone doubting that its possible for brits to be able to use the services of a company outside the UK, should try googling ADAC to see what other people on the web think of it.
The cost isn`t bad for annual multi trip cover, considering that the AA/RAC will charge you around 130 for 2-3 weeks single trip cover.
The ADAC can also be used for breakdown here in the UK, the irony is that if you can them out in the UK, they`ll as anyone else does outside their own country use contractors to do the job, in their case they send out the AA/RAC
The only hiccup I can tell is that the website doesn`t allow you to sign up online as it only recognises German addresses, but its possible to phone them up and speak to an English speaking customer service rep who can take your details/payment, or email/fax them a membership form with your details/payment. I recently joined and the whole process was easy and smooth, money was debited within a few days of contacting them, and the card arrived within 10 days.
I was accosted outside Tesco`s recently by the bloke from the RAC flogging breakdown cover, so I showed him my ADAC card, the look on his face was priceless. He said straight away, he knew how good the ADAC are, and there was no way he could flog me that level of cover so cheaply.
Also as with the AA breakdown here in the UK, the ADAC have an App for the iPhone that uses the phones GPS chip to pin point your location, so once the app is setup with your name / membership No /phone No, you just need to press a button to request help, and they`re able call you up & send someone out

The above maybe something those heading down to Faro may wish to consider

Last edited by Peirre; 16-06-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: additional info added
Old 16-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Seconded for ADAC, was with them in Germany, really good cover and service.
Old 16-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Chat Slapper

Send a message via Yahoo to lawsom34

Another one for ADAC been with them for over 10 years living both in UK and Germany, have had to call them out three times and once they got me the part I needed which was in UK, one in Bavaria they recovered my trike back home and gave me a hire car for the rest of my holiday for free and the third recovered trike from Belgium back home to Germany put me up in a hotel as it was late at night and couldn't get a hire car until the morning for me to drive home.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

email for adac?

i've searched the site & am struggling to find...

Old 17-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de

FOR INFORMATION, ENQUIRIES ETC.,

Email. amanda.moser-wickles@sby.adac.de

or Telephone enquiries and to join and pay my debit/credit card phone offices Tel No. 00 49 94 15 23 44 and speak to

Ms Amanda Moser-Wickles, or Ms. Barbara Lorenz.

lets see if this works, i've emailed... (found it on a fekkin caravaneeers website)
Old 17-06-2013, 05:39 PM

I actually didn`t think posting the ADAC info would generate any interest

For the brave among you willing to follow up on this..........
Copy the details on this FORM into a Word Doc, personalise them with your details, and email it to service@adac.de or to the lady Mick mentions with the subject ADAC Plus Mitgliedschaft (don`t worry they`re not my details)

Ledig means Single, so if you're married you'll want to change that.

Kundenkarte is the equivalent of a debit card. you can edit it to mean VISA/MASTERCARD

I crossed out the ADAC world magazine, as you probably don't want that being delivered to you every month.
Once you send the form you won't hear anything from ADAC, or at least I didn't.
The next you'll know the moneys been debited, & about a week or two then your membership pack drops through the letterbox.

sorry Mick I`ve only just had chance to read your post but your right, there`s a lot of info about ADAC on caravan sites, because they love ADAC
But it seems you`ve found what your looking for

I also understand that the benefits are as follows
Quote:
Listed below are some of the items covered by ADAC Partner Plus.

1. Breakdown Covers any vehicle you are driving + your spouse/partner. vehicle of any Age.

2. Caravans and Trailers are covered while attached to the car for any problem inc help with punctures and any part of the vehicle that fails, Single axle, a Twin axle is covered as long as axles are not more than a meter apart. That the vehicle is no more than 2.55 meters wide, 10 meters long and 3 meters in height. Permissible weight of up to 3.5 ton.

3. The Partner Plus Package for €98.70 offers the following coverage Worldwide, except where stated otherwise.

Repatriation in case of illnesses or injury, by ADAC Flying Doctor Service, if necessary.

Travel expenses up to €512 to visit a close relative who has to remain in hospital at least 2 weeks while on holiday.

Repatriation of Children.

Repatriation of Pets.

Return transport of vehicle if owner himself is unable to drive back.

Cash for emergencies up to €500, including return transport in case of death.

Costs for interpreter up to €160 (worldwide except for Germany)

Shipping cost for eyeglasses and medication (worldwide except for Germany)

Additional costs up to €2600 for unplanned return back home.

65 Euros per person per night for up to 3 nights additional hotel expenses incurred as a result of a medical emergency.

Assistance to recover or replace travel documents (up to €260)

Up to €103 expenses for emergency transfer of funds.

Return transport of vehicle (valid only in Europe)

In case of breakdown, accident or theft of the member's car, car rental for the return journey home (up to €500) or up to 7 day's rental (up to €52 per day) while the repair is being carried out (Europe only).

Up to 3 nights hotel accommodation while the vehicle is being repaired, max € 65 per person per night (Europe only).

Breakdown assistance charges for up to €200 (Europe only).

Up to €200 towing and parking charges for a broken down vehicle. Cost for recovery of vehicle are covered in full (Europe only).

Up to €120 for replacement of a lost or defective car key while on holiday (Europe only).

Shipping costs for spare parts (all Europe except Germany).

Any import duties payable if vehicle is scrapped and related scrapping charges (all Europe, except Germany)

Other points are:-

If Caravan breaks down you will get service for it but not a rental caravan.

Covered full recovery of your car and caravan back to your home town if cannot be repaired in 3 days.

If you get recovery for your car they will pay for passengers repatriation by first class train tickets or economy air tickets. or rental for a car for 7 days.

If it is a relatively minor repair and does not need repatriation ADAC covers costs of up to 200 Euros to tow you to the nearest garage within 80 km (50 miles) radius of where you breakdown.

ADAC is a club and it's partners in the UK are the AA and the RAC.

All contact numbers in Europe have English speaking staff. These numbers are listed in the Members Manual or on Card.

Fuel. If filling the car up with fuel in Germany at a Shell Garage, show your ADAC Membership Card and you will receive a 2% Discount off Bill. Every little helps.

UP DATED JUNE 2012. If you should breakdown or have an accident with the car rendering it un-drivable, away from the caravan (ie on camp site. ) ADAC will provide you with a tow car to continue journey or for you to repatriate it back to the UK. On arrival at your home ADAC will sort out repatriation of the tow car to its Country of origin.

ANOTHER ISSUE. If you should breakdown on a French Motorway no Organization is allowed to tow you off except for the French Motorway Authorities. Unfortunately they demand fee for this service which can be quite a high price. The only way you can recoup your payment is to contact ADAC and they will re-in burse you. I would think this would apply to any other UK Breakdown Insurer but not sure.

Last edited by Peirre; 18-06-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 17-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

AND: she rang me back, 5 minute (poss. less) fone call & i'm an adac member...

thanks peirre.

have Hog will travel
Old 17-06-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

As to the last bit, around 400 mile is enough for one day unless you really need to be somewhere I once road back from Port Grimaud (just outside St. Tropez in southern France) to Bradford in one day. That was a hard ride!
I once rode back from Almancil (about 20km from Faro) in Portugal back to Le Harve in 30 hours on an FJ1200, 1498 miles clocked, dont want to do that again. Misread the ferry date. Doh!!

Free the binary 10
Old 17-06-2013, 08:54 PM

There are rumours on the web that due to its popularity the ADAC are under pressure from certain other partner companies outside of germany to stop people from outside Germany joining because they are undercutting business.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro View Post
I once rode back from Almancil (about 20km from Faro) in Portugal back to Le Harve in 30 hours on an FJ1200, 1498 miles clocked, dont want to do that again. Misread the ferry date. Doh!!
That's not bad going. I want to do an Iron Butt / 1000 miles in 24 hours ride one year. I'm just either busy or skint all of the time
Old 17-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

I could do that with you.

John.
Old 18-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:

John.

the beauty of that would be in the details...
Old 18-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
There are rumours on the web that due to its popularity the ADAC are under pressure from certain other partner companies outside of germany to stop people from outside Germany joining because they are undercutting business.
They can rumour all they like but i am 99.9% sure that under eu rules they are not allowed to make any differentiation between members of different EU states - see it is useful for something.

That is why that pub landlady won her case when sky tried to do her for using a greek decoder box & satellite service in her pub to show football
Old 18-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Chat Virgin

I'm pretty sure Wursel is right on this any company in Europe can sell its services to anyone in Europe. This is the positive side of the EU its not all about straight bananas and daft rules.

This adc sounds like a fantastic deal.
Old 18-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:

John.
But it always rains when you ride your bike
Old 18-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
I'm pretty sure Wursel is right on this any company in Europe can sell its services to anyone in Europe. This is the positive side of the EU its not all about straight bananas and daft rules.
Whatever the rumour mill says I doubt they can stop us using it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbasher View Post
This adac sounds like a fantastic deal.
I can only speak from my POV, hopefully I will never have to use it.
But after frying my alternator on top of Col Du Madeleine in France last July I`m taking no chances.

As for the quality of service that the ADAC provide, just spend 10mins Googling them, and see what results it brings up
Old 18-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Chatter Box

[QUOTE=Peirre;639729]OK

Though I can assure you that its true, that a bunch of (oirish) guys rode from Belfast to faro with nuffin more than the lid off a biscuit tin lid with a vague map of Europe on it, to show em the way

That sounds about right to me. There's air in the tyres and petrol in the tank. What the f*ck are we waiting for? Let's go and "Keep 'er lit!"
Old 19-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peirre View Post
though i can assure you that its true, that a bunch of (oirish) guys rode from belfast to faro with nuffin more than the lid off a biscuit tin lid with a vague map of europe on it, to show em the way
ftfy .......