100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Coming back from London after a 14 hour shift, I was shifting myself, around 100-115mph in my old Volvo. I spotted the cop car behind me too late and on came the old blues and twos... I pulled off and it started to piss down, stair rods and he ran up to my passenger door to get in, which absent mindedly I had forgotten to unlock. He stood knocking on the window for a while till I let him in. He started with the 'You were seen to be speeding etc. to which I made no reply till he had finished his spiel. I asked how they had registered my speed, as this was before radar fitted cars, and he says he registered the shadow of a bridge pass across my car then again at the next bridge, which was a measured distance. Time divided by distance equals speed. I said 'In this weather there are no shadows, just pissing rain and before that overcast, how DID you register my speed.' He was well narked but because of the rain he didn't want to check my tires or anything but he just said 'next time' to which I replied 'You won't see me again.' and drove off......

I was lucky that time and once more when speeding on the Ducati. I had got photographed from the rear on MY Ducati doing 40 in a 30 zone. I had my accident and then did a week in Faro and came back just as the ticket arrived on my doorstep. I had fitted the underbelly can on the Duke but had no rear rack when it had been photographed but put the standard cans on in case the Spanish fuzz took a dislike to be blown out of their checkpoint... and fitted the rack for the rally. I said it wasn't my bike as it did not look like it and people kept saying they'd seen my bike in places I had not been. I heard nothing for about four weeks and then all of a sudden a bike cop turned up wanting to see my bike. He had a better copy of the photo and asked to see my helmet, which was the Rossi replica in Yellow. He says, that's the same helmet but it had been on sale reduced for a while and loads had been sold, as I pointed out, my leather jacket was brand new, bought at Faro, and did not look like the old one in the picture. He checked the bike and the picture several times and we talked bikes and my accident and eventually he said ' I'm not sure I believe you but under the circumstances I'm going to cancel the ticket.' Lucky the guy was a biker at heart and a jobsworth or I would have been buggered.......
Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
I remember those programmes and I enjoyed em when I had a TV.
A 5 minute stop can easily turn into an hours delay and the more arsey the punter gets the more the plod dig deeper.

The ultimate on those programmes was when the plod decide to take them down to the station for a cavity search. As soon as that's mentioned that's the punters "oh shit moment". Can see the colour drain out of their faces
We reckon they have a copper with very fat fingers down the station just for doing the cavity search for those little gobshites
I know it was a while ago but that tosser got done for drink driving, this was the second time ............. sanctimonous twat!!
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20.../broadcasting1

Last edited by Strider; 10-05-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
I know it was a while ago but that tosser got done for drink driving, this was the second time ............. sanctimonous twat!!
I believe that if you are done for a third time (drink driving) then you should get a lifetime ban because you obviously have not learnt from past mistakes.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:58 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I believe that if you are done for a third time (drink driving) then you should get a lifetime ban because you obviously have not learnt from past mistakes.
My feelings exactly.
Three strike's and you're out !
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
He wasn't the first or the last "safety campaigner" to be done for speeding or been given a DD ban. They take the piss.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
He wasn't the first or the last "safety campaigner" to be done for speeding or been given a DD ban. They take the piss.
He wasn't a campaigner, just earning money in a way that anybody could but 'cos he's a celebrity he gets to do it instead.
Old 20-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Chatter Box

Seems the DVLA have made changes to the V112 MOT exemption form to encompass 40-year-old vehicles, and also the provision to declare that its had major changes but more than 30 years ago so I should be OK

https://assets.publishing.service.go...n-from-mot.pdf
Old 20-05-2018, 03:46 PM

So how exactly does this £2500 fine work if you decided to take your bike or car away to be repaired somewhere else?
So whats new apart from the fine?
Would any MOT tester want to risk losing business by grassing someone?
Old 20-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
So how exactly does this £2500 fine work if you decided to take your bike or car away to be repaired somewhere else?
Nuffink new here.

The driver is and was always responsible in law for the condition of the vehicle. So you can be fined for any defect.

However to knowingly drive a defective vehicle steps it up a level, but can be hard to define in law. ie would you see the defect walking round the vehicle etc etc.

But if you are clutching a defect sheet from a failed MoT you are bang to rights. But again this information may be new to the largely uneducated media but is not in fact new.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if two and a half grand is the max fine. But I doubt that the lazy journo that thinks this is all new has done any research into the max fine.
Old 20-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Kwikfit would as they often removed all wheels to check brakes, even though you wanted only one tyre. They would then tell you can't drive away and that they are not giving you your keys back till they are fixed. One reason I would NEVER use them. What right have they to take all your wheels off, checking parts that you have not asked them to do, hunting for work. Imagine if a gas fitter came to their houses and starting ripping up their carpet and floorboards, just in case there was a leak, without being asked as they were only there to service the boiler.......
Old 21-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Kwikfit would as they often removed all wheels to check brakes, even though you wanted only one tyre. They would then tell you can't drive away and that they are not giving you your keys back till they are fixed. One reason I would NEVER use them. What right have they to take all your wheels off, checking parts that you have not asked them to do, hunting for work. Imagine if a gas fitter came to their houses and starting ripping up their carpet and floorboards, just in case there was a leak, without being asked as they were only there to service the boiler.......
I wouldn't trust Kwikfit to pump bicycle tyres up. Dodgy geezahhz
Atm I am very lucky to have a good mobile mechanic who charges low prices for doing simple work on cars. He does welding as well. So he takes the car for MOT, he does any work required, he gets it reMOT'd and brings it back to me. He is also a biker and we get on OK.

He is low priced, much lower than any workshop and he is always stacked out with work. Him and his mate work fast and smart. A good business model from what I've seen.
Old 21-05-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't trust Kwikfit to pump bicycle tyres up. Dodgy geezahhz
Atm I am very lucky to have a good mobile mechanic who charges low prices for doing simple work on cars. He does welding as well. So he takes the car for MOT, he does any work required, he gets it reMOT'd and brings it back to me. He is also a biker and we get on OK.

He is low priced, much lower than any workshop and he is always stacked out with work. Him and his mate work fast and smart. A good business model from what I've seen.
I go to a small garage with an old boy, a member of the 200 mph club and owner of around 15 classic Japanese bikes. Cheap, even free sometimes and very rarely fail. Small things like bulbs and such he would tell me and know I would get them fixed, rather than just fail it. He worked on my sons car one Saturday morning and didn't charge him because he couldn't fix it. It was an old car and we couldn't locate a wiring diagram anywhere, not even on the net, my lad gave him some money anyway as it is worth keeping in with people who care about their customers.....
Old 21-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I go to a small garage with an old boy, a member of the 200 mph club and owner of around 15 classic Japanese bikes. Cheap, even free sometimes and very rarely fail. Small things like bulbs and such he would tell me and know I would get them fixed, rather than just fail it. He worked on my sons car one Saturday morning and didn't charge him because he couldn't fix it. It was an old car and we couldn't locate a wiring diagram anywhere, not even on the net, my lad gave him some money anyway as it is worth keeping in with people who care about their customers.....
It is bloody invaluable to know ppl who are honest and good at doing work on cars and bikes. Relationships take a while to build up where ppl know that you will not mess them about and pay up when the works done. That's why I get on with the mobile car mechanic.
Trouble is we spend time gassing about the stupid shit we've done with bikes.
But regards MOTs it's important to build a good relationship with a bike MOT tester.
Again I'm lucky to have a good mate who just does bike MOTs.
Old 22-05-2018, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

I go to Bush Tyres in Boston. A good bunch of blokes and you don't get ripped off.
Old 22-05-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I go to Bush Tyres in Boston. A good bunch of blokes and you don't get ripped off.
That is what you need in a single sentence.
People you know and can trust to be fair and honest and not rip you off.
Those tend to be the businesses that are around the longest.
Old 23-05-2018, 07:54 AM

Just watchin'
Old 23-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Chatter Box

Well i printed my V112 form off and duly filled it in and presented it at my local PO and the guy said he didn't want it, it should only be presented at the time you renew your road tax, he also went on to say that there wouldn't be a problem from DVLA either as he would just look at the form and give it back (not at all sure about that one) so I said what if I get stopped, and he said just show them the form!
Old 23-05-2018, 11:31 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Do it online then you'll have a paper trail. Tried to do my BSA yesterday but I didn't have the log book with me. Looks straightforward though.
Old 23-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Do it online then you'll have a paper trail. Tried to do my BSA yesterday but I didn't have the log book with me. Looks straightforward though.
Not seen any way to do it online
Old 24-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Maybe it's cos I was applying to renew my tax at the same time? Dunno, I might be talking bollocks, it has been known
Old 25-05-2018, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

With the changes I wonder if the car I recently bought through the dealers will honour any repairs under warranty if it fails the MOT due to the new changes....
Old 25-05-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
With the changes I wonder if the car I recently bought through the dealers will honour any repairs under warranty if it fails the MOT due to the new changes....
I'm no lawyer but I would think so. The vehicle has to be of "merchantable condition" or a similar phrase.

The new MoT I imagine, would be taken as a datum point by the courts as to its road worthiness. If its not roadworthy it aint fit to be sold.

If I found myself in dispute with a garage that is the argument would put to them.
Old 25-05-2018, 11:10 AM

Mind you I had my previous car MOT'd one time which it passed and no advisories. But a few weeks later I was having what I thought was wheelbearing issues on the front offside wheel and when I took that wheel off the brake disc was in a horrific condition. It was so badly rotted (Corrosion) that I kept it as a reminder never to trust the MOT inspection.
It was technically my responsibility that it got that bad. Because the brakes worked OK and had given me no problems, didn't mean they were OK.
I blame myself for that one, but I cannot work on my cars anymore as I used to before being "launched".
At the end of the day we should not rely on the MOT test alone for knowing the safety (or lack of) on our own vehicles.
Old 25-05-2018, 12:26 PM

No dismantling is allowed during the MoT.

Many vehicles have well hidden brake discs and drums. Dust shields and wheels may make it hard or even impossible to check them.
Old 25-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I'm no lawyer but I would think so. The vehicle has to be of "merchantable condition" or a similar phrase.

The new MoT I imagine, would be taken as a datum point by the courts as to its road worthiness. If its not roadworthy it aint fit to be sold.

If I found myself in dispute with a garage that is the argument would put to them.
The 'Sale of goods Act' says that goods should be of Merchantable Quality, which means exactly that. If it is not fit to be used, or needs repair to use, then it was not fit for purpose (unless you bought it cheap, knowing the faults existed).

The MOT is only good till you get out of the garage, once the vehicle leaves the MOT station, anything could happen and the MOT station is not responsible for that. i.e. A bulb blows and you have no headlight 10 yds down the road, not their fault. Once it has passed an MOT it is up to the owner/user to ensure the vehicle is roadworthy.
Old 25-05-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
No dismantling is allowed during the MoT.

Many vehicles have well hidden brake discs and drums. Dust shields and wheels may make it hard or even impossible to check them.
That's what I was told later on about the brake discs, observation only.
This new rule about the condition of the brake fluid? If its not visible other than by removing the master cylinder cap then is removing it allowed? Just wondering because I've seen the same question online but no answers as yet.

What they would classify as dirty fluid might be interesting? It's another one of those open to interpretation rules.

Last edited by HOS; 25-05-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 25-05-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
That's what I was told later on about the brake discs, observation only.
This new rule about the condition of the brake fluid? If its not visible other than by removing the master cylinder cap then is removing it allowed? Just wondering because I've seen the same question online but no answers as yet.

What they would classify as dirty fluid might be interesting? It's another one of those open to interpretation rules.
Nope the tester is not allowed to remove the cap. So its visual through transparent reservoirs only.

1.1.10 Brake servo units and master cylinder (hydraulic systems)

Hydraulic brake fluid level checks are confined to transparent reservoirs or where an indicator is fitted. Reservoir caps shouldn’t be removed.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....ml#section_1.1
Old 25-05-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Nope the tester is not allowed to remove the cap. So its visual through transparent reservoirs only.

1.1.10 Brake servo units and master cylinder (hydraulic systems)

Hydraulic brake fluid level checks are confined to transparent reservoirs or where an indicator is fitted. Reservoir caps shouldn’t be removed.

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....ml#section_1.1
Thank you harry, very useful to know.
Old 26-05-2018, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

The problem here being is that the car was sold at that time with "no Faults". But due to legislation, the car may now have a "fault" that previuosly was not considered one. If I had had a full MOT when purchased this fault would not have arisen until the renewal of the MOY and I would have duly had to pay for it. Howver dur to MOT rules, the car could not be MOT'd with a fresh 12 months as there was more than a month left to run so one could not be issued, apparently. So when I come to get the MOT done in a few months time the fault will be apparent and I will have to pay, or will the dealer out of goodwill?
Old 26-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
The problem here being is that the car was sold at that time with "no Faults". But due to legislation, the car may now have a "fault" that previuosly was not considered one. If I had had a full MOT when purchased this fault would not have arisen until the renewal of the MOY and I would have duly had to pay for it. Howver dur to MOT rules, the car could not be MOT'd with a fresh 12 months as there was more than a month left to run so one could not be issued, apparently. So when I come to get the MOT done in a few months time the fault will be apparent and I will have to pay, or will the dealer out of goodwill?
Not sure but it wouldn't hurt to ask should the problem arise. I guess that if it is, say emissions which were OK under the existing MOT certificate, if they fail under the new rules then the car was legal when sold. Ewokandtuck MOT services could guarantee a pass (for a small fee).