100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 03-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Self opinionated twat

Send a message via Yahoo to hacky
Talking side mounted number plate

i have an 03 bike and the first mot is due sometime next year.
Can i fit a side mounted number plate,will it pass a mot,and if i replace the exhaust with a slightly baffled model will that pass ok?
cheers...
m@rk
Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Chatter Box

Now there's a thing...... Side mounted plates used to be OK ish. But people kept pushing our chaps at the Vehicle Inspectorate for a definitive ruling; and so..... If you have a side mount plate.... then you have to have one fitted to the other side as well so that the bike, it's lighting and plate etc is symetrical about it's longditudinal centreline.
I guess sometimes when people are trying to help us we should take notice when they wink.....
Old 04-05-2005, 05:02 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Default Hijacking thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about '85 bike would same ruling apply?mot and then fit i guess!!
Old 04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Self opinionated twat

Send a message via Yahoo to hacky
Wink ah!!

ahh! i see said the blind man...lol
Old 04-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Chatter Box

the law used to be:-

mounted TOWARDS the rear of the vehicle, on the centreline or to the right of centre....

red reflector needs to be in the centreline

Guy

edit - from chris (msvatech) from http://www.trike-register.co.uk/msvanewsletters_001.htm

MSVA testing - a word from our technical officer:

Sidemounts - Time to set a new trend?

For many years the custom world has relied on the side mounted registration plate, usually accompanied by the stop/tail lamp, as a means of keeping on the right side of the law whilst maintaining the aesthetically pleasing (to some) bobbed minimalist rear end.

At a recent MSVA seminar organised by Motorcycle Storehouse, the question was put as to whether or not sidemounts would be acceptable for bikes submitted for MSVA examinations. The inspection manual requires that there is a space at the most practicable rearmost point of the vehicle for mounting the number plate but does not specifically mention being on the centre line of the machine. However, the lighting requirements state that single lamps must be fitted on the centre line of the vehicle and twin lamps must be fitted symmetrically to the centre line.

We contacted Vehicle Standards and Engineering (VSE) at the DfT for clarification and the reply was not what everyone wanted to hear. Basically registration plates don’t only fall under MSVA with regard to position. There are other regulations that require registration plates to be visible within certain fields of view, so a sidemount on the left (nearside) may not be visible from the right (offside) and vice-versa.

So, from an MSVA perspective, if a sidemount was the most practicable rearmost position on the machine for the registration plate, whatever lamps were mounted with the plate (registration plate lamp and/or stop/tail) would have to be duplicated symmetrically on the other side of the machine. From the VSE point of view, if the registration plate was mounted to one side of the vehicle another would be required on the opposite side to meet field of view requirements.

Confused? Well remember rear position and stop lamps can be mounted between 250mm and 1500mm from the ground and registration plate lamps must illuminate the plate so maybe it’s time for the sissy bar to make a comeback! I never cease to be amazed by the imagination and skill that abounds in the bespoke/custom bike world, so that old cliché of “we’ve always done it that way” shouldn’t hold builders back from finding a solution that customers will accept.

Parting thought - you could always start building café racers!

Chris Corker, MSVA Technical Officer
Total engine capacity:- 22.7 litres
All Terrain Camera Tracking for Film and TV

Last edited by guydewdney; 04-05-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:43 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Lightbulb Law needs stretching

What a load of techno boll*x.I for one would put longer seat rails and mount lucas/landrover style or led's in the ends.No plate can be sticker type on rear gaurdm lite up by couple of led bolts.Bloody msva -bah humbug.Thank god it only applies to new bikes!