100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24-02-2018, 09:00 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default Petrol prices?

Local petrol prices round here are, heading back up towards their peek a few years ago. Locally U/L is averaging 1-30 a litre. That's for the basic stuff not the higher rating.
Its getting a bit steep again.

What's your local prices like?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-02-2018, 11:20 PM
strima's Avatar
strima strima is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St Neots, with the pointy heads...
Posts: 979
Default

The same and it won't get any better as the government and greedy corporations want our money.
__________________
The best part of you ran down the crack of your mothers arse!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-02-2018, 07:03 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,227
Default

The oil price is steadying at around 65$ a barrel. This is due to the yanks gearing up their production and are now virtually self suficient in their usage. Trump..God bless him... had a littlet odo with this with his ramblings about making America Great Again or summat. Anyway this has made the Arabs think twice about cutting their production to increase demand to put up their cartel prices (greedy bastards) and so things have settled somewhat. If Prices are going up it's as Hos says the production companies are just being plain greedy as is the gummerment (they aren't exactly falling over themselves to cap the price increases!). By Rights the pump price should be hovering around the 1 a litre mark. Here in Bostongrad the price at the pump for Unleaded is about 117.99 (Why the 0.99?) and diesel 119.99 per litre.

This concludes the newsflash form the Ewokandtuck Newsdesk now over to our weather girl..Ewok...
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Strider Strider is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Whitefield, Manchester
Posts: 1,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
The oil price is steadying at around 65$ a barrel. This is due to the yanks gearing up their production and are now virtually self suficient in their usage. Trump..God bless him... had a littlet odo with this with his ramblings about making America Great Again or summat. Anyway this has made the Arabs think twice about cutting their production to increase demand to put up their cartel prices (greedy bastards) and so things have settled somewhat. If Prices are going up it's as Hos says the production companies are just being plain greedy as is the gummerment (they aren't exactly falling over themselves to cap the price increases!). By Rights the pump price should be hovering around the 1 a litre mark. Here in Bostongrad the price at the pump for Unleaded is about 117.99 (Why the 0.99?) and diesel 119.99 per litre.

This concludes the newsflash form the Ewokandtuck Newsdesk now over to our weather girl..Ewok...
Same prices round here, Manchester/Bury area. 0.99, so you think its 1.17 not 1.18
__________________
When shit hits the fan, I've learnt it will not be evenly distributed !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-02-2018, 01:01 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

Trump is still a NWO tool. Same old.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-02-2018, 01:03 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

I must find an app or a website for best local petrol prices. A free one that is.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,458
Default

Around 1.30 here and the Saudi's have got to make enough money so they can covertly fund Jihad in the west and ISIS.......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Strider Strider is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Whitefield, Manchester
Posts: 1,275
Default

1.15.7 and 1.16.7 at the local Asda
__________________
When shit hits the fan, I've learnt it will not be evenly distributed !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-02-2018, 11:35 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Around 1.30 here and the Saudi's have got to make enough money so they can covertly fund Jihad in the west and ISIS.......
.... and so the Saudi's can buy illegal cluster bombs from the British government to maim and kill thousands of innocents in Yemen.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26-02-2018, 12:42 PM
SS2's Avatar
SS2 SS2 is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woolyback, Bernicia
Posts: 751
Default

Hovers about a lot in Tyneside. Most of the garages around here seem to have cheap days and expensive days for some reason. UL I think is around 1.17.9 to 1.21.9, Diesel anywhere between 1.18.9 and 1.25.9. Shot up over the last six months.
__________________
Buy Blitish!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
.... and so the Saudi's can buy illegal cluster bombs from the British government to maim and kill thousands of innocents in Yemen.
Yep! Dopey old Boris let the cat out of the bag on that score, though those in the know didn't need telling......

Remember, it keeps Immigrants to Britain in jobs, paying lots of lovely taxes to HRMC.......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27-02-2018, 05:39 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Hovers about a lot in Tyneside. Most of the garages around here seem to have cheap days and expensive days for some reason. UL I think is around 1.17.9 to 1.21.9, Diesel anywhere between 1.18.9 and 1.25.9. Shot up over the last six months.
You'll find the "Cheap days" will occur around Special holiday times, like xmas and Easter. Usually one of the big supermarkets will drop their pump price by about 5p a litre to drag in the local prollateriate, and the others follow suit, but the pump price soon returns to normal after the holiday period!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27-02-2018, 05:41 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Yep! Dopey old Boris let the cat out of the bag on that score, though those in the know didn't need telling......

Remember, it keeps Immigrants to Britain in jobs, paying lots of lovely taxes to HRMC.......
Don't you mean it "keeps the immigrants in Britain, and the HRMC gives them lots of subsidies to stay"?
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Biker Buster's Avatar
Biker Buster Biker Buster is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Glasgow
Posts: 1,751
Default

Fuelled up this morning at 1.17(.99) Last week it was 1.24
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27-02-2018, 12:43 PM
SS2's Avatar
SS2 SS2 is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woolyback, Bernicia
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
You'll find the "Cheap days" will occur around Special holiday times, like xmas and Easter. Usually one of the big supermarkets will drop their pump price by about 5p a litre to drag in the local prollateriate, and the others follow suit, but the pump price soon returns to normal after the holiday period!
Nah they tend to have two or three days a week where fuel is discounted. The wife's on the ball and will go to a particular garage on that day and fill up. I just go when I need fuel and usually pay top whack.
__________________
Buy Blitish!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Biker Buster's Avatar
Biker Buster Biker Buster is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Glasgow
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Yep! Dopey old Boris let the cat out of the bag on that score, though those in the know didn't need telling......

Remember, it keeps Immigrants to Britain in jobs, paying lots of lovely taxes to HRMC.......
Ah but most of the EU immigrants are on low incomes paying little/no tax to the govt, whilst having me pay their benefits
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Ah but most of the EU immigrants are on low incomes paying little/no tax to the govt, whilst having me pay their benefits
According to latest reports, Immigrants (at least EU ones) pay more tax than they take in Bennies. I am inclined to believe that because I used to work in one of the few engineering firms in Northampton and the Eastern Europeans moved in and started taking over all manner of jobs. One would get in and all of a sudden there were ten, then the accusations of 'Racism' started to push English workers out. As a Union Rep I had to help fight some of this shite, and it stopped after the laid false claims on one of the nicest guys we ever employed. There are many hard working Eastern Europeans in this country and when asked why they worked so many hours (before the EU working time directive) they said 'Back home we worked a standard 80 hour week, so 60 hours here is easy.' I think that unemployment could be reduced without EU immigrants but this country seems to be going the way of all Great Empires, destruction from enemies outside and collapse of will and morals inside. If people were made to work, and I know some people who are now in their 50's who have not done more than 5-6 years work since leaving school, then we wouldn't NEED immigrants to do this work. Many agencies took EU workers only because they got sick of Brits, not turning up, walking off the job or doing feck all while they were there.
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Fuelled up this morning at 1.17(.99) Last week it was 1.24
That's because the oil price has dropped recently...
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Nah they tend to have two or three days a week where fuel is discounted. The wife's on the ball and will go to a particular garage on that day and fill up. I just go when I need fuel and usually pay top whack.
I end up using the local Tescos, only because the missus nags me to use the sainsbury credit card and get the nectar points which she saves up for xmas, and also get the trsco points wgich she uses when the points come thruogh on a monthly basis!!!!!!

The only thing I get out of all this is a Bottle of Tullemore Dew on me birthday!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I end up using the local Tescos, only because the missus nags me to use the sainsbury credit card and get the nectar points which she saves up for xmas, and also get the trsco points wgich she uses when the points come thruogh on a monthly basis!!!!!!

The only thing I get out of all this is a Bottle of Tullemore Dew on me birthday!
Better than a tight'n'more Jew......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:41 AM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Yep! Dopey old Boris let the cat out of the bag on that score, though those in the know didn't need telling......

Remember, it keeps Immigrants to Britain in jobs, paying lots of lovely taxes to HRMC.......
Lots of tax on less than the minimum wage for long hours every day. Or just 10 a week what the gangmasters pay. Like the plethora of local car washes.

Boris is far too much of a twat to be an MP never mind a cabinet member.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Lots of tax on less than the minimum wage for long hours every day. Or just 10 a week what the gangmasters pay. Like the plethora of local car washes.

Boris is far too much of a twat to be an MP never mind a cabinet member.
Definitely agree about Boris. most of those that fall prey to gangmasters are illegals who will come regardless of our position in the EU. Many Chinese, Indian, Afghans etc. come here because they know that once they destroy any passport their is no chance of sending them home. Perhaps an offshore island off the coast of Scotland could be used as a holding camp until they decide to name their home country, although I believe you can now work that out from subatomic lead particles deposited within teeth, so maybe another way to go. Most car washes get raided on a regular basis but unless they do smething about the illegals..ie. deport or jail them, then they will keep coming back.

I worked for a company where a British guy was sent for a job. The foreman said "Wait by the time clock and I will get you a clock card." Because he took more than a couple of minutes the guy started to leave and when asked why, he replied " I ain't gonna get fucked around like this!!" Obviously not worker material, and I have seen this happen a lot, usually after a few hours or half a day. Firms get fed up with turnover of staff as it costs too much money and disruption.....
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-03-2018, 06:43 AM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Definitely agree about Boris. most of those that fall prey to gangmasters are illegals who will come regardless of our position in the EU. Many Chinese, Indian, Afghans etc. come here because they know that once they destroy any passport their is no chance of sending them home. Perhaps an offshore island off the coast of Scotland could be used as a holding camp until they decide to name their home country, although I believe you can now work that out from subatomic lead particles deposited within teeth, so maybe another way to go. Most car washes get raided on a regular basis but unless they do smething about the illegals..ie. deport or jail them, then they will keep coming back.

I worked for a company where a British guy was sent for a job. The foreman said "Wait by the time clock and I will get you a clock card." Because he took more than a couple of minutes the guy started to leave and when asked why, he replied " I ain't gonna get fucked around like this!!" Obviously not worker material, and I have seen this happen a lot, usually after a few hours or half a day. Firms get fed up with turnover of staff as it costs too much money and disruption.....
I'm sorrry but I don't agree with knocking British workers and praising immigrant Labour. Jamie Oliver the wanker did the same and now his restaurant business is folding. He can't even make money using cheap labour who are oh so reliable compared to British workers. Oliver won't go bust though he has 150 million pounds of property.

There are companies who gladly use immigrant labour because they are so desperate for minimum wage work they are happy to ignore UK employment laws designed to protect workers rights. Those rights took a long time over many decades to become law, now those laws are put aside in the name of cheap Labour. British workers are 100% right to refuse those kind of jobs. Company bosses don't give a fuck as long as they can chose bigger yaghts and better holiday homes. Around here it's East Europeans who are exploited by companies. No proper jobs here just minimum wage slave labour for very long hours and no holidays.

The numerous 5 car washes here are all East Europeans and they work outside in all weathers. These are your 10 a week jobs and a roof over their heads in a multi occupancy house full of beds.
The new slave labour market.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,458
Default

You are right to a point, but I have seen what British workers do, having been forced to do agency work to feed my family. I know people who haven't worked for over 15 years (and not through ill health). But of course it depends on how you define 'British'. Many west Indians came here in the 50's and 60's working poorly paid jobs (no minimum wage then) or the jobs that nobody wanted, but now most would want the same as 'white' kids and the same would eventually happen with Eastern Europeans. I worked in a place that originally employed over 400 people on 3 shifts but the workforce was so unreliable that a lot of the originals have gone. One example was that we got paid on a Thursday, but a local nightclub used to do a student night on Thursdays and so a good quarter of ther back shift would be off sick on Thursdays and it only came to an end when the club shut down. On one occasion a manager went for a night out and met most of the 'sick' in that club (being management, he hadn't a clue what was going on). People would sleep in the toilets or get mates to clock them in and not turn up at all. I have worked in Many, Many factories and see this all over. I am not saying that illegals don't exist or that some companies prefer 'Minimum wage' fodder and I also make you right that decent people should refuse some jobs that take the piss. I was taught a work ethic, which I passed on to my sons, unfortunately in some families this has not happened, whether it was because parents don't want to hassle or pressurise their kids or because they don't care. While a cheap workforce does exist and people on benefits are being vilified in the press what chance do we actually stand?
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-03-2018, 09:58 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
You are right to a point, but I have seen what British workers do, having been forced to do agency work to feed my family. I know people who haven't worked for over 15 years (and not through ill health). But of course it depends on how you define 'British'. Many west Indians came here in the 50's and 60's working poorly paid jobs (no minimum wage then) or the jobs that nobody wanted, but now most would want the same as 'white' kids and the same would eventually happen with Eastern Europeans. I worked in a place that originally employed over 400 people on 3 shifts but the workforce was so unreliable that a lot of the originals have gone. One example was that we got paid on a Thursday, but a local nightclub used to do a student night on Thursdays and so a good quarter of ther back shift would be off sick on Thursdays and it only came to an end when the club shut down. On one occasion a manager went for a night out and met most of the 'sick' in that club (being management, he hadn't a clue what was going on). People would sleep in the toilets or get mates to clock them in and not turn up at all. I have worked in Many, Many factories and see this all over. I am not saying that illegals don't exist or that some companies prefer 'Minimum wage' fodder and I also make you right that decent people should refuse some jobs that take the piss. I was taught a work ethic, which I passed on to my sons, unfortunately in some families this has not happened, whether it was because parents don't want to hassle or pressurise their kids or because they don't care. While a cheap workforce does exist and people on benefits are being vilified in the press what chance do we actually stand?
I hear what you say and have heard about the workers who are permanently on the skive or pulling sickies. The issues around work are jobs are complex.
I am of the same school as you being a grafter and working for what I had.
There are people who think they go to work to do as little as possible and expect others to carry them. To some degree and more so in smaller companies every worker is a key part of the profitability of the company, but a lot of people don't get that.
I've said to my kids and to my partners son, if you can be reliable and work bloody hard and be conscientious and not take time of sick unless absolutely necessary, then you stand a far better chance of getting a job and keeping jobs.
During the early 1990s economic slump I fell from a great height and ended up in a tiny 2 bed house by good luck and scratting around for factory jobs, usually the type of jobs other people couldn't do or wouldn't do, I took them. I was doing agency work for maybe 3 or 4 years with no work inbetween. Just keeping the home together. After about 6 weeks of me not having any temporary work we faced going bust again, but luck always chimed in with some work just when we needed it. Could be 3 days work or 1 week or 2 weeks, I took it. Picking and packing, shop work, commercial kitchens work, powder coating, electronics plant, delivery driver, taxi driver, and many more.
But I never came across any skivers, if you were not working fast they would ask you not to come back the next day.
But I learned a hell, of a lot in that time, especially about me and what i am capable of and to keep the family together and in housing.

But the work place has changed I am aware of that. My daughter was for a short while an assistant branch manager at a well known staffing agency. She felt that not only did workers not have realistic expectations of the kind of jobs available to them, but also the employers were equally unrealistic about the kind of candidates who were available for their low paid dead end jobs.

However Uni graduates are equally clueless and sloth when it comes to career jobs. Its not an education thing, its a cultural thing. The ones who work very hard and are prepared to learn as they go, they are the ones who progress and take better jobs. I've had young grads work for me who I wouldn't trust to put the refuse bins out never mind complete a simple task schedule.
I worked for most of my life in a white male dominated profession so I have been influenced by that to a degree. But I used to have a go at anything work wise.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-03-2018, 05:27 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,227
Default

Still a bout 117.99/ltr = Petrol. 119.99/ltr = Diesel.....Around Bostonski...
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
I hear what you say and have heard about the workers who are permanently on the skive or pulling sickies. The issues around work are jobs are complex.
I am of the same school as you being a grafter and working for what I had.
There are people who think they go to work to do as little as possible and expect others to carry them. To some degree and more so in smaller companies every worker is a key part of the profitability of the company, but a lot of people don't get that.
I've said to my kids and to my partners son, if you can be reliable and work bloody hard and be conscientious and not take time of sick unless absolutely necessary, then you stand a far better chance of getting a job and keeping jobs.
During the early 1990s economic slump I fell from a great height and ended up in a tiny 2 bed house by good luck and scratting around for factory jobs, usually the type of jobs other people couldn't do or wouldn't do, I took them. I was doing agency work for maybe 3 or 4 years with no work inbetween. Just keeping the home together. After about 6 weeks of me not having any temporary work we faced going bust again, but luck always chimed in with some work just when we needed it. Could be 3 days work or 1 week or 2 weeks, I took it. Picking and packing, shop work, commercial kitchens work, powder coating, electronics plant, delivery driver, taxi driver, and many more.
But I never came across any skivers, if you were not working fast they would ask you not to come back the next day.
But I learned a hell, of a lot in that time, especially about me and what i am capable of and to keep the family together and in housing.

But the work place has changed I am aware of that. My daughter was for a short while an assistant branch manager at a well known staffing agency. She felt that not only did workers not have realistic expectations of the kind of jobs available to them, but also the employers were equally unrealistic about the kind of candidates who were available for their low paid dead end jobs.

However Uni graduates are equally clueless and sloth when it comes to career jobs. Its not an education thing, its a cultural thing. The ones who work very hard and are prepared to learn as they go, they are the ones who progress and take better jobs. I've had young grads work for me who I wouldn't trust to put the refuse bins out never mind complete a simple task schedule.
I worked for most of my life in a white male dominated profession so I have been influenced by that to a degree. But I used to have a go at anything work wise.
I think you have eloquently put most of what I was trying to say. Everybody has a different work experience, even within the same company. Like Friars childhood, mine was 180 degrees different, with two loving parents and a Dad that was more like a big brother, whom I love beyond the day he passed. I ended my working career doing almost anything, including toilet cleaning to keep my family fed, at one point I was doing 3 full time jobs (picking/packing in a wool warehouse (Sirdar), security guard at Diversy and night shelf stacking at Tesco). The last 19 years was at KAB seating where I became a welder/tester/assessor and later a Group Leader (Foreman) in the stores, following my cancer op. I have worked on the bins and drain cleaning as a temp and I liked it, getting dirty was never a problem when it came to work.....
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-03-2018, 07:14 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I think you have eloquently put most of what I was trying to say. Everybody has a different work experience, even within the same company. Like Friars childhood, mine was 180 degrees different, with two loving parents and a Dad that was more like a big brother, whom I love beyond the day he passed. I ended my working career doing almost anything, including toilet cleaning to keep my family fed, at one point I was doing 3 full time jobs (picking/packing in a wool warehouse (Sirdar), security guard at Diversy and night shelf stacking at Tesco). The last 19 years was at KAB seating where I became a welder/tester/assessor and later a Group Leader (Foreman) in the stores, following my cancer op. I have worked on the bins and drain cleaning as a temp and I liked it, getting dirty was never a problem when it came to work.....
My mate big John and I were the only two guys in the whole factory who could operate the flow solder machine. It was for soldering PCB's on a continuous conveyor belt. You load the trays in one end with PCB's and loose components and offloaded them at the other end of the machine. We placed the PCB's on a tray which carried 4 x 8" square PCB's. Then removed the trays and brought them back to reuse. We had to maintain the solder bath and chuck huge bars of solder in now and then. The open solder bath you stand by and constantly move around was 300 degC. There was also a foaming flux bath which was like a wave for the PCB's lot pass over. Let's just say it was fucking hot work and much more so in summer. We separately put easily 1500 PCB's through on a 10 hour shift.
John was 6' 9" tall with one gold tooth and did the doors in his spare time. He was a martial artist and loved his drum and bass.
So we operated that machine between us for maybe 2 years. The managers tried to train up other people to share the work with us because it was so hard. We showed other guys and trained them well. But once they were given their first shift they folded. They couldn't do it. One guy was a black belt in proper ju-jitsu with the Japanese flag on the wall of the dojo. He got trained but flaked after one shift. So John and me became a bit of an elite team and we had a good laugh. The factory was 90% women so respect was due to the ladies.

I think that job is one of the reasons my lungs are bad. Inhaling all that shite every day.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,227
Default

Ah, flow soldering machines....where the flux and solder actually flows uphill...so to speak!....
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM
HOS HOS is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Ah, flow soldering machines....where the flux and solder actually flows uphill...so to speak!....
Yeah the solder was pumped into a wave form so the pcb's just skimmed the top of the wave with their underside. The flux was pumped with air to make it foam and it too had to be set and regularly adjusted to make sure the wave height was spot on or parts of the circuit boards didn't get any solder or any flux causing the same no solder in patches.

I used to have a cheap Tandy personal radio with ear pieces to listen to radio and stop me going terminally insane with the repetitive nature of the work.
For two weeks the flow solder machine was having engineer maintenance so they put me on a section where the pre-soldered boards had to be dipped in liquid varnish to water proof them. So I spent 2 weeks sticking 4 pieces of yellow tape, one on each corner of the boards top mask off the fixing holes.
That drove me fucking nuts! my brain was turning into cheap vegetable soup by the day.
In the end I quit because I was bored shitless and wanted something better.
I hated the aged British management demarcation of "them and us".
Office staff and factory floor staff.
Some of the management were real talentless wankers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.