100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 30-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Default Vale Onslow ex shop fire.

The row of shops which were the legendary place of Vale Onslow motorcycles has been badly burned. Set to be demolished. Fortunately the bike and parts dealer had moved only a few weeks earlier. Tbh it was a bit of an eyesore and I remember the shop at its best with a long row of shiney bikes outside facing the road. As a kid it seemed like the whole street was a row of gleaming motorcycles.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...-fire-14213594
Old 31-01-2018, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

For a minute I thought you meant the new place. I take it the old place was rented? Smells like and insurance jobbie to me. Although the reports state it started in a house?
Old 31-01-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
For a minute I thought you meant the new place. I take it the old place was rented? Smells like and insurance jobbie to me. Although the reports state it started in a house?
No houses along there, although there may be some flats above the shops. Yes Friar some of the old V. O. shops had been taken over by new businesses and they got burned too. Yeah after the fire the whole row of shops will have to be pulled down according to the Mail
Old 31-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Tbh the shops looked a bit manky at street level, but it was a Birmingham landmark once.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

There was a write up in Classic Bike Mag this month, regarding Vale Onslow moving after about 30 or 40 years or something. Had to take several weeks as there was so much New old Stock to move!....With the like of Vale Onslow old bikes would end up on the scrappie for sure!

At least ols bikes are kept going a lot longer than old cars. I think it's down to easier storage than anything else. A bike can be bunged to the back of the shed with the proviso..." I'll get that going later!" but a car isn't so easy, so the Missus tends to say "Are you getting that thing going? if not get rid of it!" so it eventually either ends up on Ebay or the scrappie!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
There was a write up in Classic Bike Mag this month, regarding Vale Onslow moving after about 30 or 40 years or something. Had to take several weeks as there was so much New old Stock to move!....With the like of Vale Onslow old bikes would end up on the scrappie for sure!

At least ols bikes are kept going a lot longer than old cars. I think it's down to easier storage than anything else. A bike can be bunged to the back of the shed with the proviso..." I'll get that going later!" but a car isn't so easy, so the Missus tends to say "Are you getting that thing going? if not get rid of it!" so it eventually either ends up on Ebay or the scrappie!

I think they sold parts or stored the parts in one of the shops up until a few years ago? Or maybe it just looked like they hadn't left.

Real barn finds to crop up now and then but not very often.