100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 23-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default 2 1/2 years without TV.

2 1/2 years ago we had some major works done on this house so the TV had to be put away safe.
It was under a sheet behind a huge pile of boxes and stayed like that for several months.

Eventually when we were getting ourselves more organised and boxes unpacked the question arose as to whether we wanted to use the TV again. It had been covered up for 6 months already.
We had reached saturation point with crap TV years ago and it got boring scanning the TV channels to find anything slightly less crap than everything else.
In the summer we are outdoors or out and about not watching TV anyway.

After 6 months we talked about the TV which still had a sheet over it and we decided eff it! Get rid of it!
It was one of those latest Samsung smart TV's that spy on you.

So here we are now, 2 1/2 years with no TV and it feels great!!! This last few months I finally feel free of the bullshit, mysogeny, stereotyping, political spin, indoctrination, social programming, hate, anger, lies and propaganda.
That's a lot of head f*** from the TV.

Taken me 2 1/2 years to fully detox.
100% worth it!!!!
Old 23-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

I still have a TV, but use a Tivo style box to filter all the crap out. I programme tomorrows viewing in and then watch it when I want to. No politics, no sport, no soaps or Strictly come X-factor crap.

Each to his/her own and you save on the license, though having them come round checking can be a pain as they never quite believe that people aren't mesmerized by their shite offerings.....
Old 23-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I still have a TV, but use a Tivo style box to filter all the crap out. I programme tomorrows viewing in and then watch it when I want to. No politics, no sport, no soaps or Strictly come X-factor crap.

Each to his/her own and you save on the license, though having them come round checking can be a pain as they never quite believe that people aren't mesmerized by their shite offerings.....
After many years of flicking round and around the channels with the remote control we finally had enough. Also after about 9pm at night every channel has people arguing, or fighting, or being angry or being a serial killer. It ain't entertainment The TV documentaries are all heavily political and although they start off quite decent they soon slide into "man made global warming" which is shite. Comedy on TV has been banned to be replaced by unfunny, purile shite.

The only TV I have seen is round my little ladies mum's house when they were watching a programme called "Pointless" and I thought they must be acting? Because their seriously weird behavior wasn't real. The programme was surreal ....... and it was shite
Old 31-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Since the bike racing moved to paid channels there isn't any TV worth watching.
BT wooed people to getting the bike racing which was included in their paid TV packages until they made bike racing pay per view ontop of the monthly fee.
They just rob you more and more.
Old 31-12-2017, 12:59 PM

True, they bang on about freeview but because of the tall buildings in front and behind me I had a tiny gap to receive signals through. As soon as it got windy, the aerial would wobble and I would lose reception. Waste of time and ended up staying with Virgin.
Old 31-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
True, they bang on about freeview but because of the tall buildings in front and behind me I had a tiny gap to receive signals through. As soon as it got windy, the aerial would wobble and I would lose reception. Waste of time and ended up staying with Virgin.
With Virgin broadband atm.
We went through a spell of several months recently when our Internet went down on Thursday or Friday every week and then cane back online the following tues or weds if we were lucky.
After snacking my head repeatedly against Vurgin customer support and their technical centre eventually they admitted that their local network has limited capacity and while the sales staff keep selling bigger packages in our area this means that customers with a small payment package like ours get dropped off network at peak times. I was none to chuffed when I found out but now they make sure we don't get dropped at peak times.
How about that for shabby?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

I just stick with good old Terrestial TV and freeview..
Old 01-01-2018, 02:27 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I just stick with good old Terrestial TV and freeview..
If you cut down a bit of time watching TV, you could devote that time to your bike? Just an idea
Old 01-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
With Virgin broadband atm.
We went through a spell of several months recently when our Internet went down on Thursday or Friday every week and then cane back online the following tues or weds if we were lucky.
After snacking my head repeatedly against Vurgin customer support and their technical centre eventually they admitted that their local network has limited capacity and while the sales staff keep selling bigger packages in our area this means that customers with a small payment package like ours get dropped off network at peak times. I was none to chuffed when I found out but now they make sure we don't get dropped at peak times.
How about that for shabby?
Typical of big business, like...Lets give new customers reduced prices for 6-12 months but put up the cost for customers that have been with them for years.... Virgin and Sky take it in turns putting their prices up so each can claim to be cheapest for 6 months of the year... It's all a con to rip off the public and make the 1% richer than ever...Unfortunately it's the wrong 1%.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:41 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Those of you who have used alternative set top boxes to access Sly etc may know this.
After they blocked the signal on openbox set top boxes that allowed people to watch ppv channels without a proper paid subscription to the major companies. People turned to IPTV which streamed the same channels down the broadbean, similar to how hacked amazon fire sticks work. However the PL forced an injunction on the main UK Internet providers last summer that caused the streaming feed to become blocked around 3mins into the start of a PL football game, (this block doesn’t work outside the UK). This also blocked all the other channels only while the game was on. Chaos ensued as servers where blocked and people who had paid for access to these private servers lost their feed. It took several weeks before the geeks could figure out a work around and restore service, but not before many of these private servers shut down for good. The PL is slowly working on closing down other servers that haven’t switched servers outside the UK or use a VPN. Atm the servers are still working and access to 100’s of ppv channels is possible. But it’s a cat & mouse game and atm the mouse is winning
Old 02-01-2018, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you cut down a bit of time watching TV, you could devote that time to your bike? Just an idea
True. But the money, at the moment is being channelled in to the house...later in the year I'll get around to the bike!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
True. But the money, at the moment is being channelled in to the house...later in the year I'll get around to the bike!
I do understand that having a comfortable, warm and safe home comes first.
I look forward to the time when you can start work on the bike.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm hoping it is going to be sooner rather than later, then it will be just a recommissioning rather than a major rebuild. It will have been over years without slinging a leg over it and I am really starting to miss it now, and getting out and meeting more like minded folk!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
I'm hoping it is going to be sooner rather than later, then it will be just a recommissioning rather than a major rebuild. It will have been over years without slinging a leg over it and I am really starting to miss it now, and getting out and meeting more like minded folk!
You've made the decision in your head therefore it will happen.
You're already making plans

None of us are getting any younger ok. The world is turning to rat shit at an ever increasing rate of knots, so lets get out to play on some petrol machinery soon. As you say, focus on whats needed to get it running and MOTd.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

We have two TVs and four kids, I obviously need to watch more TV...
Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Evolution of the TV
Old 05-01-2018, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Oi! I ressemble that!....
Old 05-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post
We have two TVs and four kids, I obviously need to watch more TV...
With four kids I'm surprised you have any time for TV
Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
With four kids I'm surprised you have any time for TV
Haven't got much time now...