100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Showroom

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

I need to get my bike sorted next year. It's been off the road now for two years, and not started. I bet the carbs are bunged up for starters....just needsa bloody good service, shims possibly need sorting as it's done 50k miles now or thereabouts. New discs and pads up fornt, and might as well put on braided hoses all round. And replace all the fluids, including fork oil. Oh and put in some standard clutch springs. I had a new clutch put in just before I moved, not having the time to do it myself, and the bloody mechanic put in some heavy duty ones! I had hands like Popeyes after riding up from Potter Heigham to Boston!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I need to get my bike sorted next year. It's been off the road now for two years, and not started. I bet the carbs are bunged up for starters....just needsa bloody good service, shims possibly need sorting as it's done 50k miles now or thereabouts. New discs and pads up fornt, and might as well put on braided hoses all round. And replace all the fluids, including fork oil. Oh and put in some standard clutch springs. I had a new clutch put in just before I moved, not having the time to do it myself, and the bloody mechanic put in some heavy duty ones! I had hands like Popeyes after riding up from Potter Heigham to Boston!
Mine hasn't seen daylight for 6 years now
It turned into a nuts and bolts job. But I have a very limited budget like most people. Parts can be sourced away from main dealers, its been fun becoming resourceful to get parts and get bits done. It does help when you can do a lot of things on the bike yourself.

Yeah heavy duty clutch springs sounds good, but the reality is summat else.
Old 19-12-2017, 03:41 PM

One thing I have noticed is the bike breakers all too often aren't doing you any favours by trying to sell parts at way over the cost of buying OE brand new parts.
So before buying form a breakers just check online the price of OE parts, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I've seen shit dirty used parts for the Zeph on ebay at 4 times the brand new part cost from Cradeley Kawasaki.
Old 20-12-2017, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Good point made there, mate!
Old 28-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Some frame work, a clean up and repaint basically.
I used Hammarite satin finish applied by brush as 90% of the rear frame is not visible. Then I cut down the rear black plastic mudgaurd, made some new alloy indie brackets. Its all been thought about very carefully. Almost everything on the bike can be improved or made better.

The before shows how bad the frame was. You can see one of the large dome head cross head screw bolts. Made out of playdoe !!
Attached Images

Old 29-12-2017, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

If you can, replace all the cross head screws with s/s allen bolts. Best way is to do it as you go along and get access to the fasteners concerned. It's a gradual process but not so hard on the pocket.
Old 29-12-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
If you can, replace all the cross head screws with s/s allen bolts. Best way is to do it as you go along and get access to the fasteners concerned. It's a gradual process but not so hard on the pocket.
Most of the OE bolts I'd had to cut off or they were just not serviceable. So I bought a variety set of stainless steel allen bolts, plain nuts and washers. Got a good set off Amazon for 25. But as you say you could do it a few bolts at a time as you need them and there are some great UK fastener sellers on ebay.

The original mudguard bolts were quite long so they had plenty of thread to rust exposed underneath to all the crap off the road. Not only that but you could easily rip your hand trying to clean inside the mudguard anytime. It's one example of bad design that you can make better.
So I've used stainless domed Allen bolts with the dome on the underside with stainless flat washers and stainless aircraft nuts on the inside/under the seat. And I cut every bolt to length. Proper job
Old 29-12-2017, 02:56 PM

I also bought a full set of stainless steel allen head engine bolts off a French seller on ebay.
For the princely sum of 8.50!

When you're on a tight budget you have to spend time searching for the best deals.
However I soon came to the realisation that the eBay search function does not show you the best deals.
I found a better choice on ebay by using Google search which does show you the cheaper deals on ebay.
Daft I know but that's how it works for me.
Amazon UK are also useful for finding the best deals on the basics for bikes.
Old 29-12-2017, 02:58 PM

I have also found that for used bike parts, German bike breakers are much cheaper than UK bike breakers. Like a lot cheaper!!!
Old 30-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

I'm lucky in as much that I was an Engineering buyer before I retired. So findin "cheap deals" and calling in favours occassionally, helps. It also helps when "Suppliers" try to pull the old "Retail " and "Trade" difference on you, to bump up the prices. This usually occurs when one tries to buy paint! If you are given a manufacturers code i.e to RAL colours no matter what the "suppkier" says about it "being different" is crap! It should be to that standard. the only difference being in the colour is the fading with age, not in the manufacture. Its amazing how many stores try this on you. Or when returning faulty goods, don't settle for the "We will give you a credit note" routine, if it is within the maanufactures warranty period and you are lucky enough to have kept the receipt (although this is not always necessary) you are entitled to your money back! However if you are returning the item because you cocked up and it is wrong for any reason then the store is entitled to refuse the return or justifiable in just issuing a credit. Also being an "Engineering Buyer" it helps that I can just about read an engineering drawing, especially when you point out the "third angle projection" on one! Even though I have no idea what this means, it does concentrate the vendors mind when discussing fairly technical requirements, and stops him form trying to pull the wool over one's eyes, and also gives me a very basic understanding of wiring and looms....just!
Old 31-12-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I'm lucky in as much that I was an Engineering buyer before I retired. So findin "cheap deals" and calling in favours occassionally, helps. It also helps when "Suppliers" try to pull the old "Retail " and "Trade" difference on you, to bump up the prices. This usually occurs when one tries to buy paint! If you are given a manufacturers code i.e to RAL colours no matter what the "suppkier" says about it "being different" is crap! It should be to that standard. the only difference being in the colour is the fading with age, not in the manufacture. Its amazing how many stores try this on you. Or when returning faulty goods, don't settle for the "We will give you a credit note" routine, if it is within the maanufactures warranty period and you are lucky enough to have kept the receipt (although this is not always necessary) you are entitled to your money back! However if you are returning the item because you cocked up and it is wrong for any reason then the store is entitled to refuse the return or justifiable in just issuing a credit. Also being an "Engineering Buyer" it helps that I can just about read an engineering drawing, especially when you point out the "third angle projection" on one! Even though I have no idea what this means, it does concentrate the vendors mind when discussing fairly technical requirements, and stops him form trying to pull the wool over one's eyes, and also gives me a very basic understanding of wiring and looms....just!
The basis of most professions is common sense and logic
I remember the RAL system of colours well, we used them in preference to B.S. colours because RAL colours are very consistent and not dependent on things like batch codes like B.S. colours.

Some other professions which are based on common sense and logic: construction and law. But those attributes seem to have become more like a rare gift nowadays?
Old 31-12-2017, 11:23 AM

Back to the start of this thread, the local council sent me a new bill for 2670 after very kindly putting crosses in red biro and exclamation marks all over my accounts. As a 58 year old damaged biker who is a bit of a handful for most idiots, I wonder how they thought treating me like a kid marking his homework in red biro would go down? This is normal for local government, they employ deadheads and pay them high salaries and give them rich pensions.

Fortunately I am still talking to the director of social services who was very unhappy to learn about the past failure being so quickly repeated. After the Director had cancelled the previous bill, the total morons in accounts had used the 2300 and added more to it. I received the new bill on the Friday before Christmas, childish hey?

Just another bunch of retards to have to deal with
These morons get paid for being morons. The dozy buggers would not last a day in private practise. Serial council workers we call em.
Old 31-12-2017, 11:51 AM

If you want to look on German eBay for bike parts this is how you do it.

Using the full version of eBay and not the android version, look at the very bottom right hand side of the front page and you can see "eBay sites: United Kingdom" Click on that and a window opens with all the countries with their own eBay. Select Germany. Then in the search put your bike name and it will give you loads of parts and bikes of that model.
Use a translator for the German eBay pages on whichever IE you use.
More choice and better prices from my experience.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

That gives me an idea...I go on German Ebay, then go collect the goods via a stop off to see my Wife's cousin for a few days. The missus wouldn't complain about me buying bike parts then, as she would be coming with me. And any spare space would be full of wine, food etc. Providing Brexit doesn't impose the old two bottles of wine and a bottle of spirits custom allowance imposition!!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
That gives me an idea...I go on German Ebay, then go collect the goods via a stop off to see my Wife's cousin for a few days. The missus wouldn't complain about me buying bike parts then, as she would be coming with me. And any spare space would be full of wine, food etc. Providing Brexit doesn't impose the old two bottles of wine and a bottle of spirits custom allowance imposition!!
Ahh but you must make sure you don't spend all ya money on booze before you get to the bike parts.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

PayPal is my fiend!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
PayPal is my fiend!
Yes it is fiendishly easy how money just slips out of your account on nice shiney bike parts

I have found what looks like a good search engine for online shopping.
Its very simple. But very limited search options. You type in some words for the item you want and it finds the cheapest prices online in the UK.
I am trying it out and so far it has proved to be very effective subject to its search limitations.

http://www.superdoopercheap.co.uk/

Last edited by HOS; 03-01-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

looks interesting, I'll have to give it a whirl....Don't tell the Missus!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

while we are talking cheap online shopping this is a good resource - some clever sod has put up an online spreadsheet that somehow trawls all the websites atc and keeps itself up to date with who is selling what booze at what price - it even highlights really good deals and what the cheapest historical prices have been

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Bl8/edit#gid=0

Covers most spirits in 70/5 & 1l sizes
Old 04-01-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
looks interesting, I'll have to give it a whirl....Don't tell the Missus!
Tell who?
Old 31-01-2018, 07:30 AM

I made some progress on the exhaust collar fix yesterday and a bit later I will share some photos of before and after. I used the Dremmel with a small cone shaped grinding wheel to finish off the larger diameter holes where I messed up with the drill. I'll need to drill out a couple of stainless steel washers to go between the sleeved nut and the collars and then the collars can be fitted after I've repainted them with silver vht paint.

It will look different to the other flanged nuts but it's a structurally sound solution and to me that is more important.

Last edited by HOS; 31-01-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 31-01-2018, 09:24 AM

Ive bought a short length of 10mm stainless tube.
For a future job later in the year.
Certain 6 pot front brake calipers bolt straight onto the standard 1100 forks.
The only thing required in addition to a set of 6 pot calipers are sleeves for the 8mm bolts to go through the 10mm holes in the fork leg cleats.
It doesn't need 6 pot calipers although some say the standard brakes aren't good.
Well its not a sporst bike and I aint going to be thrashing it, but 6 pots will look good and add to its value.

Last edited by HOS; 31-01-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 31-01-2018, 09:33 AM

Here is the header pipe connection.

The right hand stud is shorter than the left one which is the standard stud size.
Although the photo doesn't show that very well there is about 5mm difference.
What I am going to do is do a trial fit using the sleeved nut just for a photo to show on here and then take it all off to paint the collars.
Attached Images

Old 31-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Did a dry run with the collars on the studs and it works fine.
I put some 3 in 1 oil on the stud before winding the nut on.
Did it very carefully to make sure there was no pressure sideways from the collars and to make sure the thread was ok.
There is twice as much thread on the sleeved nut gripping the stud as one of the standard flanged nuts. I did one washer but need to make another one up to fit.
No photo on the bike, but here is what it looks like.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

I hate working on exhaust studs and things, it's either too hot from running the bugger or rusted in like buggery and end up snaapping the fucker along with grazed knuckles and looking like a grease monkey!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:37 AM

ISame here Friar the studs are tricky on these old bikes.
So I'm being very careful with this shorter stud.
Why anyone would fit it I do not know.
I hate other people's codged up work.
But this bike had been relatively unmessed with. Until I got hold of it. Almost everything on the bike has been either, painted, polished, replaced with new, cut off, modified, cleaned up and simplified.

The old style helmet lock on the frame made me laugh.
I decided to remove it because I've never used the helmet lock on a bike, I always use a chain through my lid and through the frame. The lock was just unnecessary clutter.
The cylinder was very tight and you risk snapping the key in it, but I needed to open the lock to get at the fasteners.
So I put a medium sized screw driver through it and applied a medium amount of leverage and it snapped open with minimal effort. Some bloody security that was. I've since cleaned it up and got it working properly. Then I cut the frame lugs off and repainted the frame. Looks tidy now.

Last edited by HOS; 16-02-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

I've never used a helmet lock either! IU've always taken it with me. It makes a good man bag!
Old 03-02-2018, 12:54 PM

Very handy for carrying fish and chips in while walking back to your bike.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:31 PM

My V&H pipes are identical to these on someone else's bike.
Got a baffle in it but no wadding around it.
Attached Images

Old 18-03-2018, 10:59 PM

This shows the shortie V&H pipe and the Kawasaki ZX10R pegs I bought for mine. I am not keen on rubber topped pegs I like
the road and bike feel through metal pegs and having fitted rearsets in the past.
Attached Images