100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 28-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Chatter Box

Default Alloy Corrosion.

Due to bead blasting the barrels and head, i have noticed that they are now growing the usual fluff due to the temperature changes in the shed, now i seem to remember using ally wheel cleaner in the past (phosphoric acid) but just wondered if there was anything better these days to restore the look?
Old 28-12-2017, 11:24 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky View Post
Due to bead blasting the barrels and head, i have noticed that they are now growing the usual fluff due to the temperature changes in the shed, now i seem to remember using ally wheel cleaner in the past (phosphoric acid) but just wondered if there was anything better these days to restore the look?
"Mothers" is extremely good at bringing up old and tarnished alloy.
It ain't cheap but I swear by it. Its not an abrasive polish like autosol, it seems more like a chemical treatment and you don't need to rub the alloy hard to get a good finish on it. We've all had the autosol black finger syndrome
Old 28-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Chatter Box

You misunderstand fella, its the barrel and head castings, they are not polished, but a fine mat finish from the bead blasting that i want to clean up, i don't intend to polish them, i need something to remove the alloy corrosion fluff.
is the "Mothers" just a wash then?

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 28-12-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 28-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky View Post
You misunderstand fella, its the barrel and head castings, they are not polished, but a fine mat finish from the bead blasting that i want to clean up, i don't intend to polish them, i need something to remove the alloy corrosion fluff.
is the "Mothers" just a wash then?
Sorry I misunderstood the problem, no mothers is not suitable in that case because it is a polishing cream. I'm not sure how to deal with the problem you describe.
Old 28-12-2017, 12:02 PM

How about some Gunk sprayed on and worked in with a thin paint brush and then jet washed off? Just thinking outloud

I've got loads of those caravan type disposable dehumidifiers all over the garage and under the bike trying to keep the condensation/damp down.
The polished engine cases get quite furry.

Last edited by HOS; 28-12-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 27-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Chat Virgin

Old thread but this may help someone suffering from white crusty aluminium oxide;

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-...ngine-cleaner/

I used it recently on a XG750 that hadn't appreciated spending the winter in a 1970's garage complete with a leaky roof. White crusty growth on pretty much every bare alloy surface, edge of the fins, throttle body you name it. I ordered this and when it turned up, read the ingredients, phosphoric acid and hydrochloric acid were the two names that jumped out at me. So I spent a week wondering whether if I sprayed the engine with this I would return to a puddle of monkey metal under the frame with the crank and gear shafts resting on the frame rails. Needn't have worried, gave it about five minutes, flushed it off with warm water and all crustiness gone. No blemishes just 'as new' alloy on show. Race Glaze also do 'Jet laq'

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-...ngine-cleaner/

Which will protect the alloy for up to three months, and it does.
Iv'e no affiliation with this company by the way, just a helpful pointer to those suffering from the 'dreaded white mushrooms on my engine cases'.
Old 27-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

ACF 50 works well.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Chat Slapper

hi i use a mix of washing powder and hot water and use an assortment of brushes to rub in to clean me filthy engines up but im too stingy to buy proper stuff when i displayed my bonnie it got that treatment quite a lot as good at moving dirt and crap and as with anything wear all the gear to protect eyes and hands, just another senseless thought if funds are tight
hope you get it sorted
moses
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

I used to use washing powder and a little water to make it into a paste to clean my hands (tip from my dear old dad "shhh dont tell your mother you are using her washing powder")
Old 13-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Chat Slapper

hi strider
i used to do that too with washing powder but the stuff makes your hands evil dry so plenty of hand cream after noticed your in manchester and was up that way in june at the manchester rock and bike fest in rixton which was a fantastic weekend with some gorgeous weather too and seriously nice bikes on show.
dont look too good for camping now though lol on with the fun moses