100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 06-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Default Christmas greed camera's reminder.

I had a reminder today that seeing it's Christmas time the old bill like to get out more than usual to milk the same old cash cow. Yes mobile greed camera's. In the season of goodwill to all fellow men the police like to ruin someone's.

I was out in the car and as I was leaving a village 30mph limit there was a brand new shiny shiny plain white police van with very minimal markings. Often being a cynical old bugger myself or maybe I just know how the system works as I passed the plain looking van I looked back to see it had two rectangular blacked out windows of the usual speed camera kind. The only signage was a tiny 4" square camera sticker above one of the black windows.
The stealthy approach hu?
Has the law changed?
I thought mobile scamera's had to have clear and obvious markings?
Maybe this is a trial of stealth cameras?

Anyway a reminder to keep it tidy on the road over the festive period and new year.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Not sure if the vans need to be signed as long as there are camera signs on the road itself. I seem to remember a few years back they were using horse boxes and filming through the slats at the rear...... Scameras indeed.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Not sure if the vans need to be signed as long as there are camera signs on the road itself. I seem to remember a few years back they were using horse boxes and filming through the slats at the rear...... Scameras indeed.
The police aren't very good at following the law.
Like a mate and his brother who were knocked off by a hit and run black BMW. A long and painful story where the BMW turned out to be an unmarked one of theirs.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

I got done by a camera van earlier this year and attended a speed awareness course. Nearly all the attendees were about out age...40-60's! We must be a gullible lot or blind! Doesn'r help if the fuckers don't park behind trees and obscures the viewing. Or ilegally park and obstruct the pathway!!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

keep saying it ........... but if they want to make a few quid and justify the safety camera tag, put them on all traffic lights, especially in the middle of Manchester. I drive into Salford Quays 2-3 time per week and the amount of cars that jump red lights is incredible and I'm not talking just taking a risk on the amber and then they turn red, I'm talking about them being red for 3-4 seconds and they have had time to stop easily.

Seems its "the car in front of me has gone, that means I can go"

I'm currently waiting for them to do that when the tram goes across the road or shall I just T bone them when I get the green, I really do have to wait and watch as they fly over on red
Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
keep saying it ........... but if they want to make a few quid and justify the safety camera tag, put them on all traffic lights, especially in the middle of Manchester. I drive into Salford Quays 2-3 time per week and the amount of cars that jump red lights is incredible and I'm not talking just taking a risk on the amber and then they turn red, I'm talking about them being red for 3-4 seconds and they have had time to stop easily.

Seems its "the car in front of me has gone, that means I can go"

I'm currently waiting for them to do that when the tram goes across the road or shall I just T bone them when I get the green, I really do have to wait and watch as they fly over on red
Don't be silly, that would actually save some lives......
Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Sir Ewok, I drove along the same road today to see if there are any speed camera signs anywhere before, in or after the village and there are none whatsoever..
Old 09-12-2017, 06:45 PM

If there are no signs, then there should be some on the vehicle but I always thought they were mandatory to make the 'pinch' legal. |However the Police and Council don't seem to require themselves to obey the law even if they do you......
Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

They're gonna get you whether you like or not....
Old 10-12-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Not always managed to get away with one, but it is very difficult (or you need to be lucky) to do it.......
Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Not if I can help it
Avoiding speed camera's should be part of basic roadcraft.
Another hazard to be avoided.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Not always managed to get away with one, but it is very difficult (or you need to be lucky) to do it.......
A mate had an NIP for speeding a while back and he hasn't answered it.
He still hasn't heard anything. But its a gamble.
It could just be the bill were seeing who would take the hit? A numbers game of trying to pull in as many tickets as they can.
They aint got the time or resources to follow them up now I guess?

Last edited by HOS; 11-12-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
A mate had an NIP for speeding a while back and he hasn't answered it.
He still hasn't heard anything. But its a gamble.
It could just be the bill were seeing who would take the hit? A numbers game of trying to pull in as many tickets as they can.
They aint got the time or resources to follow them up now I guess?
Trouble there will be when he gets a summons, then if he doesn't bother to show up he'll get a wopping fine (they do here in Boston) anything up to six points on his licence and then a knock on the door from the bailiffs if he ignores the fine as well....
Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 AM

I think they have up to 6 months after the offence to lay the summons. Mine was laid a week before the 6 months ran out !!

Firstly recorded delivery, if you still ignore it then they will hear your case in your absence and will get a a letter telling you how much and it will be a minimum of 250 and 4 points.

Ignore that and you will get a visit from the bizzies or the bailiffs.

Sticking your head in the sand and hoping doesn't work. Btw I didn't, but I moved house and sold the bike just after it happened (theres a lot more to it than that), they only caught up with me when I reported my car windscreen being smashed in. Seemed to ring a bell in some dusty computer corridor.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:36 AM
Chat Pimp

NIP needs to be issued within 14 days, or its not valid.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Chat Slapper

Few months back, riding through Boxford,Suffolk on theA1071, 30 limit, long steep hill down and long steep hill up tother side, good views, straight road. At the bottom of the hill I could see an RAC van, bright orange usual paint job, parked on the grass verge, Thinking it was dealing with a breakdown,gave it a bit of room. When I got to it, bloody speed camera van, now if that wasn't a money grabber I don't know what is. The hill in question is one of those that you have to brake to keep within the limit. Not another vehicle on the road apart from me. Be warned.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Chat Pimp

Have a squint here, there are now all kinds of colour schemes...or lack of them.
Sneaky bastids!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ne...w=1170&bih=603
Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky View Post
NIP needs to be issued within 14 days, or its not valid.
Not quite true, if it is a hire car then they can get a bit longer to trace the driver, e.g. hired to a company.

Although one of our company vans got caught on a camera a few years back and no one would own up to it, the MD got the fine but no points. He was not a happy man, this was a very large company and the site manager ended up with final warning over it
Old 13-12-2017, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderider View Post
Few months back, riding through Boxford,Suffolk on theA1071, 30 limit, long steep hill down and long steep hill up tother side, good views, straight road. At the bottom of the hill I could see an RAC van, bright orange usual paint job, parked on the grass verge, Thinking it was dealing with a breakdown,gave it a bit of room. When I got to it, bloody speed camera van, now if that wasn't a money grabber I don't know what is. The hill in question is one of those that you have to brake to keep within the limit. Not another vehicle on the road apart from me. Be warned.
Suffuck is noted for it's mobile Zap Wagons. My cousin runs his business near Bungay an often sees them about.
Old 13-12-2017, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky View Post
Have a squint here, there are now all kinds of colour schemes...or lack of them.
Sneaky bastids!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ne...w=1170&bih=603
Yeah! Most of the ones I've seen are just plain white, or like the blue one hidden in amongst the "pretty" ones! Bastids!
Old 13-12-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Not quite true, if it is a hire car then they can get a bit longer to trace the driver, e.g. hired to a company.

Although one of our company vans got caught on a camera a few years back and no one would own up to it, the MD got the fine but no points. He was not a happy man, this was a very large company and the site manager ended up with final warning over it
Quite right the site manager got a serious bollocking, pool vehicles should be logged so the company can prove that a properly licensed driver was in charge of the vehicle in case of an accident. Imagine if that driver had knocked an old lady over on a zebra crossing and just pissed off, nobody could be breathalyzed or be license checked etc.