100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28-11-2017, 05:06 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default How to extend the side stand?

Can anyone help with ideas how to extend the standard sidestand please?
Perhaps someone's already done it?

I need to increase the length of the sidestand by about 4cm. But I don't want to weld anything on. I'm hoping to use fabrication methods.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Biker Buster's Avatar
Biker Buster Biker Buster is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Glasgow
Posts: 1,699
Default

Bolt on block?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-11-2017, 10:08 AM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Bolt on block?
Its a possibility or perhaps a piece of U shaped flat metal bolted to the foot of the side stand.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29-11-2017, 12:36 PM
SS2's Avatar
SS2 SS2 is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woolyback, Bernicia
Posts: 680
Default

What about having a trawl about a local breakers, see if you can find a bit longer one that'll fit?
__________________
Buy Blitish!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29-11-2017, 05:55 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

Photies....

The bike is jacked up and the extra height is needed due to me jacking up the rear end which gives more under-seat clearance and more ground clearance.
Gives the bike a slightly more aggressive stance and sharpens up the steering.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by HOS; 29-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29-11-2017, 06:00 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
What about having a trawl about a local breakers, see if you can find a bit longer one that'll fit?
Could try that, but I don't know any local bike breakers.
I'm not sure they would be prepared to help out on summat this "minor" I suppose.
Time is money and all that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29-11-2017, 06:03 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

What I am thinking is to buy a mild steel rectangular section off-cut, of size 50x25mm. Then cut it on the angle to match the line of the stand and bolt it to the existing foot, using a couple of countersunk bolts and with aircraft nuts inside the box section. Paint it black.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30-11-2017, 05:34 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 11,357
Default

Worra about a block of wood under the seat and use that?
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30-11-2017, 10:49 AM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Worra about a block of wood under the seat and use that?
Good idea and one that I had considered.
With a length of string attached to it so I can wip it out when I sit on the bike ready to start it. Seeing as I couldn't bend down to pick it up.
How cool would that be?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30-11-2017, 01:10 PM
SS2's Avatar
SS2 SS2 is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woolyback, Bernicia
Posts: 680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Could try that, but I don't know any local bike breakers.
I'm not sure they would be prepared to help out on summat this "minor" I suppose.
Time is money and all that.
Ah I forget we're quite spoilt. Our local breakers (Roosters) strips and catalogues (in his head I think) all the expensive stuff and stores that away safely, then owt else gets parked up outside. There must be an acre of scrap bikes just parked outside in his compound so you can just wander round and find stuff for yourself.
__________________
Buy Blitish!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30-11-2017, 05:35 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Ah I forget we're quite spoilt. Our local breakers (Roosters) strips and catalogues (in his head I think) all the expensive stuff and stores that away safely, then owt else gets parked up outside. There must be an acre of scrap bikes just parked outside in his compound so you can just wander round and find stuff for yourself.

That's sounds great !! A decent set up.

Reminds me of when I was a kid at Varneys scrap yard on Egde Hill, Banbury. Me and my brother would be on the top car of a stack of four getting what we needed from an old car. Needed two of us. One to lie across the car footwell and brace it with your feet to the pile of cars adjacent to stop it swinging or toppling over, so they other one could get some leverage a tommy bar.
Health and Safe.... wha??? Who ??
Me younger brother got bitten by a scarp yard dog..... a bl***y gurt Rottie which the site owner had let out thinking everyone had gone home. Cept me brother. He got hsi parts for free and the boss said come back anytime and have some more free. He should have checked before he let the guard dogs out. Good old days.

I've used DK used spares and they have always been good to deal with as long as you know exactly what you want.

I've just ordered an offcut of 50x25 steel section off ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 11,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Good idea and one that I had considered.
With a length of string attached to it so I can wip it out when I sit on the bike ready to start it. Seeing as I couldn't bend down to pick it up.
How cool would that be?
Lol!........
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 11,357
Default

I worked at Universal Salvage for a short while, many moons ago, before it became Rockingham Motor Speedway! There was a commercial side to it over the road up Gretton Brooke Lane. So they sent me over there to de-identify the lorries, vans etc. It was quite a hot day, and I was stretching into a van trying to get at the vin plate with my feet astride a tyre. I kept hearing this hissing sound. I thought it was some fliud or air leaking out of the van system some how until I stepped off the tyre and looked down to see a dirty great big adder just about ready to strike! I jumped back just as it missed me! I bloody ran from there back to the cabin where the other blokes were having a Tea Break! The boss called me a wuss and told me to get back there! I told him to fuck off and sack me! He didn't coz he was short staffed as it was. I wasn't surprised at 3.50 and hour! in 1995...
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I worked at Universal Salvage for a short while, many moons ago, before it became Rockingham Motor Speedway! There was a commercial side to it over the road up Gretton Brooke Lane. So they sent me over there to de-identify the lorries, vans etc. It was quite a hot day, and I was stretching into a van trying to get at the vin plate with my feet astride a tyre. I kept hearing this hissing sound. I thought it was some fliud or air leaking out of the van system some how until I stepped off the tyre and looked down to see a dirty great big adder just about ready to strike! I jumped back just as it missed me! I bloody ran from there back to the cabin where the other blokes were having a Tea Break! The boss called me a wuss and told me to get back there! I told him to fuck off and sack me! He didn't coz he was short staffed as it was. I wasn't surprised at 3.50 and hour! in 1995...
Funnily enough I've been on that exact site because Mark who built my S/C Busa motor had a unit on there. Shame, he's gone now, he doesn't do bikes anymore and he doesn't drag race either.

But I will never forget the old scrapyard mud !!
Remember the cut hands and smashed knuckles which you couldn't feel until your hands thawed out?. Great times we had
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 11,357
Default

I mainly worked at the car dismantlers. The biggest crook was the boss, woe betide anyone caught nicking, turned out he got everyone to remove radios etc, "for safe keeping" as he said, the nflogged them off bulk, for himself!...thieving git! Oh, we were allowed 5 gallons of petrol/diesel once a week!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:53 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I mainly worked at the car dismantlers. The biggest crook was the boss, woe betide anyone caught nicking, turned out he got everyone to remove radios etc, "for safe keeping" as he said, the nflogged them off bulk, for himself!...thieving git! Oh, we were allowed 5 gallons of petrol/diesel once a week!
That's the bosses privilege?
I never had anything quite as cool as that when I was young, I delivered building materials to the public and for a few years I worked for a master locksmith.
Building materials delivery was a good laugh but very hard graft. Two of us delivered several hundred paving slabs a day and several yards of sand/gravel, bags of cement etc. All loaded and unloaded by hand.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 PM
HOS HOS is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 583
Default

The lump of metal arrived via ebay.
50x25x150mm rectangular ms section.
So today I went in the garage, did a quick job of replacing the 8 x front caliper bolts with stainless steel items.
By the time I'd done that I was coughing my guts up.
Only 2 degrees in there. But at least I got one jobe done.
I'll do some more later. Just 1/2 an hour to one hour at a time. Better than doing nowt.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.