100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 28-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Default How to extend the side stand?

Can anyone help with ideas how to extend the standard sidestand please?
Perhaps someone's already done it?

I need to increase the length of the sidestand by about 4cm. But I don't want to weld anything on. I'm hoping to use fabrication methods.
Old 29-11-2017, 08:39 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Bolt on block?
Old 29-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Bolt on block?
Its a possibility or perhaps a piece of U shaped flat metal bolted to the foot of the side stand.
Old 29-11-2017, 12:36 PM
Jedi Chat Master

What about having a trawl about a local breakers, see if you can find a bit longer one that'll fit?
Old 29-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Photies....

The bike is jacked up and the extra height is needed due to me jacking up the rear end which gives more under-seat clearance and more ground clearance.
Gives the bike a slightly more aggressive stance and sharpens up the steering.
Attached Images

Last edited by HOS; 29-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 29-11-2017, 06:00 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
What about having a trawl about a local breakers, see if you can find a bit longer one that'll fit?
Could try that, but I don't know any local bike breakers.
I'm not sure they would be prepared to help out on summat this "minor" I suppose.
Time is money and all that.
Old 29-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Jedi Chat Master

What I am thinking is to buy a mild steel rectangular section off-cut, of size 50x25mm. Then cut it on the angle to match the line of the stand and bolt it to the existing foot, using a couple of countersunk bolts and with aircraft nuts inside the box section. Paint it black.
Old 30-11-2017, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Worra about a block of wood under the seat and use that?
Old 30-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Worra about a block of wood under the seat and use that?
Good idea and one that I had considered.
With a length of string attached to it so I can wip it out when I sit on the bike ready to start it. Seeing as I couldn't bend down to pick it up.
How cool would that be?
Old 30-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Could try that, but I don't know any local bike breakers.
I'm not sure they would be prepared to help out on summat this "minor" I suppose.
Time is money and all that.
Ah I forget we're quite spoilt. Our local breakers (Roosters) strips and catalogues (in his head I think) all the expensive stuff and stores that away safely, then owt else gets parked up outside. There must be an acre of scrap bikes just parked outside in his compound so you can just wander round and find stuff for yourself.
Old 30-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Ah I forget we're quite spoilt. Our local breakers (Roosters) strips and catalogues (in his head I think) all the expensive stuff and stores that away safely, then owt else gets parked up outside. There must be an acre of scrap bikes just parked outside in his compound so you can just wander round and find stuff for yourself.

That's sounds great !! A decent set up.

Reminds me of when I was a kid at Varneys scrap yard on Egde Hill, Banbury. Me and my brother would be on the top car of a stack of four getting what we needed from an old car. Needed two of us. One to lie across the car footwell and brace it with your feet to the pile of cars adjacent to stop it swinging or toppling over, so they other one could get some leverage a tommy bar.
Health and Safe.... wha??? Who ??
Me younger brother got bitten by a scarp yard dog..... a bl***y gurt Rottie which the site owner had let out thinking everyone had gone home. Cept me brother. He got hsi parts for free and the boss said come back anytime and have some more free. He should have checked before he let the guard dogs out. Good old days.

I've used DK used spares and they have always been good to deal with as long as you know exactly what you want.

I've just ordered an offcut of 50x25 steel section off ebay.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Good idea and one that I had considered.
With a length of string attached to it so I can wip it out when I sit on the bike ready to start it. Seeing as I couldn't bend down to pick it up.
How cool would that be?
Lol!........
Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

I worked at Universal Salvage for a short while, many moons ago, before it became Rockingham Motor Speedway! There was a commercial side to it over the road up Gretton Brooke Lane. So they sent me over there to de-identify the lorries, vans etc. It was quite a hot day, and I was stretching into a van trying to get at the vin plate with my feet astride a tyre. I kept hearing this hissing sound. I thought it was some fliud or air leaking out of the van system some how until I stepped off the tyre and looked down to see a dirty great big adder just about ready to strike! I jumped back just as it missed me! I bloody ran from there back to the cabin where the other blokes were having a Tea Break! The boss called me a wuss and told me to get back there! I told him to fuck off and sack me! He didn't coz he was short staffed as it was. I wasn't surprised at 3.50 and hour! in 1995...
Old 01-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
I worked at Universal Salvage for a short while, many moons ago, before it became Rockingham Motor Speedway! There was a commercial side to it over the road up Gretton Brooke Lane. So they sent me over there to de-identify the lorries, vans etc. It was quite a hot day, and I was stretching into a van trying to get at the vin plate with my feet astride a tyre. I kept hearing this hissing sound. I thought it was some fliud or air leaking out of the van system some how until I stepped off the tyre and looked down to see a dirty great big adder just about ready to strike! I jumped back just as it missed me! I bloody ran from there back to the cabin where the other blokes were having a Tea Break! The boss called me a wuss and told me to get back there! I told him to fuck off and sack me! He didn't coz he was short staffed as it was. I wasn't surprised at 3.50 and hour! in 1995...
Funnily enough I've been on that exact site because Mark who built my S/C Busa motor had a unit on there. Shame, he's gone now, he doesn't do bikes anymore and he doesn't drag race either.

But I will never forget the old scrapyard mud !!
Remember the cut hands and smashed knuckles which you couldn't feel until your hands thawed out?. Great times we had
Old 02-12-2017, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

I mainly worked at the car dismantlers. The biggest crook was the boss, woe betide anyone caught nicking, turned out he got everyone to remove radios etc, "for safe keeping" as he said, the nflogged them off bulk, for himself!...thieving git! Oh, we were allowed 5 gallons of petrol/diesel once a week!
Old 02-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
I mainly worked at the car dismantlers. The biggest crook was the boss, woe betide anyone caught nicking, turned out he got everyone to remove radios etc, "for safe keeping" as he said, the nflogged them off bulk, for himself!...thieving git! Oh, we were allowed 5 gallons of petrol/diesel once a week!
That's the bosses privilege?
I never had anything quite as cool as that when I was young, I delivered building materials to the public and for a few years I worked for a master locksmith.
Building materials delivery was a good laugh but very hard graft. Two of us delivered several hundred paving slabs a day and several yards of sand/gravel, bags of cement etc. All loaded and unloaded by hand.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 PM
Jedi Chat Master

The lump of metal arrived via ebay.
50x25x150mm rectangular ms section.
So today I went in the garage, did a quick job of replacing the 8 x front caliper bolts with stainless steel items.
By the time I'd done that I was coughing my guts up.
Only 2 degrees in there. But at least I got one jobe done.
I'll do some more later. Just 1/2 an hour to one hour at a time. Better than doing nowt.