100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Chat Slapper

Default The whirring of a Harley...

A couple of news items recently made me think ( bit of an event in itself)..
Volvo are ceasing manufacture of internal combustion engine cars and the French plan to ban petrol fuelled cars by 2040. Everybody knows the writing is on the wall for petrol/diesel engines but I get the feeling that suddenly, instead of " some time in the future" it's stated dates that are being quoted. If Mon Ami
over the Channel is banning petrol cars it's a fair bet bikes are in their sights too.
I saw the electric bikes (on tv) at the TT and the 80pmh+ circuit on the road legal electric bike and apart from the weird sound effects thought the bike wasn't at all bad.
Right, just off to plug me Guzzi in....
Old 07-07-2017, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Yup, the day of the Amish is coming!....
Old 07-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Chat Pimp

I'm sure the emissions on my T160 will make it anti social well before 2040, but hey i doubt ill be up to riding it well before then.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Jedi Chat Master

They'll have us banned sooner or later. Decent article in, I think it was 'The Road' about a bike always being cleaner than even a fully electric car for lots of reasons. Some of which are obvious like the difference in the amount of natural resources and energy needed to produce a far smaller vehicle to less obvious like the particulates that are causing health concerns in the big cities are actually more down to brake dust and residue from tyre wear than from exhaust gasses.

Makes you think dunnit.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

The other point is that since we still have coal burning generators and the so-called green wood pellet burners, you are not reducing pollution, just moving it somewhere else.......
Old 07-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Chat Slapper

I accept that I am a cynical old git, but I suspect that if you dig deep enough you would find that a lot of the Green or Eco campaigns get financial backing from organisations that turn out to be themselves supported by companies who manufacture batteries, sun panels,wind turbines etc:

I remember when Volvo's claim to fame was they made big powerful cars with a high safety factor as the selling point, 'crash proof' and all that moody.
Soon they will be sold as eco friendly, silent, planet savers.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetlee View Post
A couple of news items recently made me think ( bit of an event in itself)..
Volvo are ceasing manufacture of internal combustion engine cars and the French plan to ban petrol fuelled cars by 2040. Everybody knows the writing is on the wall for petrol/diesel engines but I get the feeling that suddenly, instead of " some time in the future" it's stated dates that are being quoted. If Mon Ami
over the Channel is banning petrol cars it's a fair bet bikes are in their sights too.
I saw the electric bikes (on tv) at the TT and the 80pmh+ circuit on the road legal electric bike and apart from the weird sound effects thought the bike wasn't at all bad.
Right, just off to plug me Guzzi in....
" Yup, the day of the Amish is coming!...."

Todays headlines....

"New diesel and petrol cars face 2040 ban"

Are the Faceless ones reading this forum and pinching our thoughts???
Old 26-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetlee View Post
" Yup, the day of the Amish is coming!...."

Todays headlines....

"New diesel and petrol cars face 2040 ban"

Are the Faceless ones reading this forum and pinching our thoughts???
Welcome to Ewokandtuck Electric Vehicle Sales...... We have lots of vehicles although the range of the cars/bikes at the moment is only 500 metres as we cant join enough extension cables to go any further. However we have a totally green Stanley Steamer complete with the man with the red flag to walk in front, runs on clean burning coal, just like the power stations......
Old 26-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Chat Pimp

Its just a clever trick by the government to force the motor manufactures to use the technology they already have in place that makes petrol, diesel and electric as fuel sources obsolete.

Anyway i will be long gone by then i expect, so they can bury my bike with me......oh wait i was going to be cremated, as the wife wont agree to chucking me on the compost heap.
Old 26-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Chat Slapper

suppose we could always get the option to retrofit electric motors and batteries into our old polluting bikes and use those dirty engines as coffee cup stands, just wouldnt be the same but yes the writing is on the wall for us petrolheads.........hmmmmmm we will be battery heads instead
on with the fun all
Old 27-07-2017, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Welcome to Ewokandtuck Electric Vehicle Sales...... We have lots of vehicles although the range of the cars/bikes at the moment is only 500 metres as we cant join enough extension cables to go any further. However we have a totally green Stanley Steamer complete with the man with the red flag to walk in front, runs on clean burning coal, just like the power stations......
* Psst.....the bloke with the flag got run over last week!....*
Old 27-07-2017, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moblow View Post
suppose we could always get the option to retrofit electric motors and batteries into our old polluting bikes and use those dirty engines as coffee cup stands, just wouldnt be the same but yes the writing is on the wall for us petrolheads.........hmmmmmm we will be battery heads instead
on with the fun all
So we will become Dildos after all!
Old 27-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Chat Slapper

I'm starting to panic now, and get flashbacks to 50 years ago when I used to take the piss out of Lambretta and Vespa riders and accuse them of riding hairdriers. I'm far too old to give a shit, but I definitely wouldn't fancy riding a 240 volt 3 pin Guzzi.....
Old 28-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

What about all them "Worshipful Bros" shouting "Potato, potato, potato!" over their near silent electric Harleys?
Old 28-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Chat Slapper

Default going green

well you lot it appears i'v found the solution i have room for solar panels on the chair and have a wheelchair motor so its time to do a motor swap and enjoy free energy !!!!! ooooooh a whole 20 watts power off that bad boy lol
off for a dirty weekend in weston have fun all
Attached Images

Old 28-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Chat Slapper

Solar panels for power, great idea!!...hang on, that's the end of Scottish motorcycling then...
Old 28-07-2017, 12:21 PM

There might just be a hidden agenda here. We all know the Saudi's sponsor most of the terrorism in Europe and the west in general, so it might be a way of stripping them of their income (from oil) without admitting that the Wahabiists are our greatest enemy and buyer of our weapons, look at at Trumps quick deal for weapons recently.... Wants to ban Muslims entering his country but not adverse to taking their blood money........
Old 30-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

I don't think we have the technology yet to go all electric. Certainly we don't have the generating capacity whether clean or not.

But here is my suggestion (borrowed from Scalextric) A slot down the middle of each lane of a motorway with conducting strips each side of it. The vehicles would have a "traveller" underneath which could be lowered into the groove to pick up the 'lectric. It could be raised to change lanes.

Not only would this increase the range of leccy cars but would make watching pedestrians on motorways far more entertaining.
Old 30-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Chat Slapper

" A slot down the middle of each lane of a motorway"

..Suddenly I was 14 again, on a ratty old hand painted ex GPO BSA Bantam with the front wheel stuck in a tram line.....The trams had stopped running 5 or 6 years before but the bloody tram lines were still about in some areas. Scars are faded now but you can still see 'em...
Old 30-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Don't actually need a slot, many electrical items now have remote charging by induction, so an induction coil could be buried under the slow lane for charging on the go, then pull out and wheeeee..... 25mph.....
Old 30-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Chat Slapper

Don't know if it was just coincidence, but I read that Mercedes and I think it is Porshe that have now said they're going to compete in Formula 'E' with the electric racing cars. When it started in 2012 they said they were not interested, wonder what's changed their minds....
Old 31-07-2017, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Electric Milk floats......They were the days!....*sigh*
Old 31-07-2017, 11:29 AM

We'd go back to the stage coach days with Recharging Inns up and down the motorways and a 5 day trip from London to Glasgow..... Sounds fecking brilliant...NOT!
Old 31-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Chat Slapper

I think a lot of this is because they are finally realising that fossil fuels are running out. I worked on the oilrigs back in 1989-93 in the North Sea. According to popular thought it was awash with oil. In 4 years and over 25 wells, we hit oil twice. The big reserves were gone or already tapped. We were looking for the little bits where the rocks had fractured and trapped little pockets of oil - enough to last a year or a few...
Old 31-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Chat Slapper

Friar Tuck Electric Milk floats......They were the days!...

Nooo! A local Council decided some time ago to turn Eco Friendly with some of their rubbish collections. They have a 'Stretched' Milk Float which collects cardboard, Newspapers etc: for recycling.
It trundles along the main road at rush hour times, it's top speed is 10-12MPH and it's usually got a mile queue of traffic behind it unable to overtake because the main road is skinny. Once it had a solo driver but now he has a mate with him because irate motorists have threatened to lynch him. A worse advert for electric vehicles I cannot imagine..
Old 01-08-2017, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

The Amish are coming!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Now is the time to buy shares in EDF, Powergen etc....... All available from Ewokandtuck shocks and stares Plc.