100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 14-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Chat Pimp

Default Money Pit!!

This Trident is turning into a money pit, after the clutch being a pain and needing replacing, it now seems that the oil pump has the same idea, oil pressure has been a bit low and now its dropping to just about zero when hot, even with shimming the pressure relief valve, it also tends to smoke a bit when idelling,
So i suspect the pump is also not scavenging, so its back to Hyde for a new pump, just hope that the rod and center main are also not worn and contributing to the low pressure, i think its going to be a full engine rebuild during the winter .....if it makes it that long.
Old 14-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

TBH mate I'd do the build now before it goes bang big style and costs even more.

Not good news.
Old 15-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Chat Pimp

Well since it needs a new pump, as i cant see any info for refurbishing the pump beyond checking clearances and perhaps grind the back plate,

So its logical to see if the pressure comes up to a near normal figure, then if it doesn't i will suspect the rod and center plain bearings, but if its not too bad, and i cant hear any odd taps or knocks beyond the tappets, i will hold off until winter, its not like I'm going to thrash it with the roads around here.
Old 17-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Chat Pimp

Apparently the general concenses from the triple community is that low oil pressure is pretty much always down to the plain main bearings being worn, so it looks like a full strip down...great!

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 17-04-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 17-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

That's a bugger mate...
Old 17-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Chat Pimp

Yeah! the title wasn't wrong, who knows what i will find, i don't think it been maintained very well, i am expecting the rod end bearings to also be in need of replacing/grinding.

I guess it could be worse and put a rod through the case like so many other have done with low oil pressure....apparently

I used to like building engines, but these days i am not so keen!
Old 17-04-2017, 12:23 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I know what you mean about money pit.

My Bonnie chop I originally budgeted 1k, now easily double that. But I haven't scrimped on parts TBH, just ordered some brake pipes and fittings and that came in at just over 200...
Old 23-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Chat Pimp

Well its looking like its going to need new mains, found some galling on the shells but crank looks like i might get away with dressing, but will talk to the engineers, whish i had stripped the oil pump sooner, as i found that some plank had fitted an end case gasket to the inside of the end plate of the pump!

So basically its increased the side tolerances of the gears providing a bypass on the pressure side, no wonder it was only making low pressure, but on measuring the actual pump shafts are out of tolerance so it looks like a replacement...think I'll paint "money pit" on the tank instead of BFG.