100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 28-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Chat Pimp

Default Custom Bike Insurance.

OK i may have asked this before in another thread, but i am just in the prosess of picking my bottom jaw off the deck.

Just spoken with Carole Nash about insuring the Trident, and because its got a hard tail frame they want to charge me 260 for it !!!

I used to insure my past bikes with them, and the last one, a very well modified Z650 cost me just 60, OK it was back in 2001 but over four times as much in 16 years!

I did run an on line quote as a classic and got 120, makes no sence, if it was 10 years older it would have a hard tail as std.

Its a joke as my car insurance is just 230 with the misses as a learner on there, i used to build, tune a drive mad fast Japanese turbo cars and never paid more than 500 for them!

OK fair enough i don't have any current NCB on a bike, but i have been riding bikes since i was 15, surely experience should count for something.

Rant over!

So my question is who are you insuring your custom bikes with, and what sort of premium are you paying?

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 28-03-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 28-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Not insured a custom for a while and when I did I used Carole Nash but Peter James might insure it as it's a classic. You get to speak to proper people so probs worth a call?
Old 28-03-2017, 12:37 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I use eBike, they also do a classic policy but you don't get any no claims on that.
Old 28-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Chat Pimp

In the end Flux did me a good deal, first try with the underwriters got a premium of 220, to which i replied way too much, so i was then asked what i thought i wanted to pay and told them that 150-160 would be just acceptable, so they came back with 165 and 14 days money back guarantee or a match should i find anyone cheaper...they sound quite confident that i wont, so not too bad since i have no no claims bonus.
Old 28-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Just done a quote for my Bonnie chop with eBike on a classic policy with a list of modifications declared and a mileage limit of 1500 annually as I don't get out much now with work and family stuff.

106 fully comp.
Old 29-03-2017, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Having had one bad experience with Ebike, I wouldn't touch them with barge pole...sorry!
Old 29-03-2017, 07:39 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Having had one bad experience with Ebike, I wouldn't touch them with barge pole...sorry!
I'm the same with Adrian Flux ............. insurance is just a damm lottery, depends who you get on the end of the phone or who is pressing keys at the time of the claim, renewal etc
Old 29-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Same here but at least I didn't get as far as paying them They gave me the best price to insure my two bikes a while back but everytime I tried to go to the 'checkout' and pay my annual quote turned into a monthly figure. I couldn't get customer services to solve the issue so went elsewhere, thinking phew... imagine dealing with them in case of a claim when they can't even accept payment efficiently. Lucky escape maybe.
Old 29-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

I've never had a problem with eBike but Bennetts were a complete pain in the hoop.

Must be just you...
Old 30-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

With Ebike my problem came up when renewing. I had an email saying I need do nothing as premium was meant to be on a DD. they apparently went to claim the premium, but the bank refused saing the DD was "out of date". Ebike then just cancelled the insurance without notification to me and I had been riding around without insurance for two months!!! It was only when I came to renew the tax and I needed the Ins. Cert that this came up! Had I had an accident or got pulled I'd have been in real shit! Never used them since, and have always advised mates to avoid them like the plague! They may have improved by now as they had not long been going as online insurers, but I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt....
Old 30-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Fair one...
Old 30-03-2017, 11:27 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I had an awful experience with Hastings, I can recall it for you if anyone is interested but it IS a long read.
Old 30-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Oh yeah, and one of my brothers had a shite experience with Principal/Principle? Insurance last year. Non fault claim where someone ran into the back of him as he was stood at a red light and as soon as the other parties insurers had admitted liability, Principle refused to deal with him and told him to deal direct with them instead. Not good when he missed a whole summers riding due to neck/shoulder pain. Luckily he got a good solicitor on board who seen him right.
Old 30-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Oh yeah, and one of my brothers had a shite experience with Principal/Principle? Insurance last year. Non fault claim where someone ran into the back of him as he was stood at a red light and as soon as the other parties insurers had admitted liability, Principle refused to deal with him and told him to deal direct with them instead. Not good when he missed a whole summers riding due to neck/shoulder pain. Luckily he got a good solicitor on board who seen him right.
That's why I pay a few quid a year extra for legal help. Not bike related but in my car a Spanish driver turned right on a roundabout as I was pulling off and In hit his rear end, since he had a Spanish hire car, dealing with the insurance would have been a nightmare if my insurers (Tesco) had not had that legal assistance clause......
Old 31-03-2017, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
That's why I pay a few quid a year extra for legal help. Not bike related but in my car a Spanish driver turned right on a roundabout as I was pulling off and In hit his rear end, since he had a Spanish hire car, dealing with the insurance would have been a nightmare if my insurers (Tesco) had not had that legal assistance clause......
Have you not been informed of the Ewokandtuck Insurance Services Inc. available to all members?