100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 24-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Chat Virgin

Default Starting and idling issues suzuki

Hi Everyone,

I purchased myself my first bike back in September 16 , picked up a Suzuki intruder vl 125 for a decent price and low mileage.

Was fine for the first few months and gave me no major issues.

Around November ( when it started to get colder) it started not wanting to start in the mornings, a friend of mine mentioned that he could smell fuel and suggested the air/fuel screw needed to be adjusted.

After taking it to a friend ( who knows a little more than i do about bikes) he adjusted the screw according to the manual.

But that didn't stop the starting issue...

For example today it took me around 10 minutes to get it started and when it finally did start it wasn't a clean short rev rather a slow growling crawl.

Also when the bike is idling its either very high revs or every low never a happy medium.

Maybe there is a clog in a fuel line? Or carb needs cleaning?

Sorry I'm a amateur at diagnosing bikes..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 24-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Chat Pimp

Have you checked that the battery is holding a charge? could be weak spark causing incomplete combustion until the alternator is supplying enough charge to keep up with ignition demands, cold weather is a battery killer if its not in tip top condition.
Old 24-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Chat Virgin

I replaced the battery early November, Lights come on fine and spark plugs where new in september, have checked the connections and they look clean.

Any other ideas?
Old 24-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Chat Pimp

OK try removing the carb and clean, check for any partially blocked jets, or sticking float, could be some crud got through from the fuel tank, other than that also check the coil, as if this is going down it can give similar symptoms.
Old 25-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Check your battery is fully charged, the CDI could well be stopping power to the ignition when cranking as the voltage may be too low.

Battery should be at 12.5 volts with no load applied.
Old 30-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

If that is the same motor as a gs125 I had similar issues - so some warnings

It won't start with old fuel - if you have left it standing anything over a few weeks put in new fuel (you can add the old stuff back in over the next couple of tank fulls) it also won't start if sat for a while and you have even a sidelight or brakelight on (think the battery is only just powerful enough for the starter) So empty old fuel, make sure spark plug gap is correct, ensure nothing electrical is draining power and try again - if struggling try it on jump leads to a car. Beware of flooding it - if you do take the plug out and wait a while befor erefitting and trying again

If you want a demonstration of how much power the lights take v power the battery /alternator has when you finally have it idling warm with the lights on - turn off the light - my revs go from 1200 up to nearly 2k !!!. I have to decide if I want to set the idle for with or without lights as there does not seem to be a happy medium as like yours it seems to have a couple of levels it will idle at and it jumps between them and only them
Old 31-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

And Adam, Mate, most important of all, fill in that User CP up on the laft hand side there and tell us a bit about yourself, hmm?

Tags
starting / idling issues