100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Showroom

Notices

Old 29-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Chat Pimp

Default Trident Bobber/Lowrider build.

I now have a new project that i really didn't expect, with a heavy heart i have taken on this bike T160 Triumph trident chop, due to recently loosing a very good friend, and his family has asked me to take it on and rebuild it/get it running, as there is nobody else that could, or ride it for that matter.

So its been passed to me with the proviso that i build it and ride it for as long as i am able and then pass it back, however in the future i may well buy it, but just don't have the resources right now.

Long story short he was involved in an accident 25-30 years ago and lost his nerve with bikes, but couldn't get rid of it, and always said he would ride again, but due to suffering servers depression in recent years, he has never got any further with it.

Years ago i re spayed it and despite me trying to persuade him that the colour was just wrong, he went ahead and put it together as you see it here, and then it sat in his flat until this sad time.

So to me it only fitting that i build it again and ride it as he always intended, as a kind of rolling tribute, i will be changing quite a lot of things, as there is now way i would ride that colour, and some of the styling is a little questionable, plus there are some safety aspects that need addressing.

Anyway i,ll keep this updated, but don't know just how long it will take me depending on the amount of new parts needed, but its already in my breakfast room sharing with the cat, as there is no way it will fit in either of my sheds, and still have room to work.

I have already decided that as a light hearted tribute the new tank with have BFG on the sides as to my wife he was always known as The Big Friendly Giant, as he was 6.7 ft and weighed 300lbs, and the wife is 5ft LOL!

Anyway here is a pic before it has a quick wash and came in from the cold.

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 15-07-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 29-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Good luck with the build mate, it's in better condition than my current project!!!
Old 29-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Chat Pimp

Just a little update, now the bike is indoors and nice and warm, i have started to strip it down, will be changing quite a few things as i go, will keep the pictures coming for those interested.

Have made a heat shield for the high pipes as i am not going to replace them, waiting for some stainless tube to add short turn outs.

Good job i decided to just check the compression and not start it, as the oil feed and return where switched that Harley style master cylinder is going as aside from being mounted on the an extended engine mount, and being right in front of the battery box, so access was very difficult, it also weighed about 8lbs.

Old 29-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Chat Slapper

Default good luck

hope all goes well with build and hope i can workout how to do a exhaust in a tidy way like on yours, love old brit chops and dont know if my back could take a hardtail these days as it was bad enough at eighteen when i had a gs750 hardtail !!!! 10 psi tyre pressures might help lol
all the best love to see how it ends up tricky
Old 30-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

I thought it looked good just the way it was, only the back mudguard needed trimming back I thought? You're right about the colour though...
Old 30-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Chat Pimp

Yes its a very 70s style bike, and needs bringing into this century, the rear mudguard has already been chopped back to the swage line and the flip up trimmed down a bit too, just got to weld up a few redundant mounting holes.

Going to have to keep the sissy bar for now as the wife wants to go on it too, and as the last bike i rode had a fairly full seat she might find a pad a little much at here age cough but i have changed the angle for now so it mimics the forks.

The fron MG needs either serious surgery or replacing, i did think of trying to spring support the rear pad, but its going to take too much room, believe me i would make it solo but i know how much the wife likes to be on the back, and i'm such a considerate bugger..cough

Anyway Chinese bar controls and master cylinder along with some other bits will be ordered soon.....i did say i'm on a budget LOL!
Old 30-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Chat Pimp

Just thought, everybody likes pics so i will bung up a couple of my last bikes,
The pre unit Bonnie is late 90s and was sold as soon as i finished it the last time because i got offered too much money for it...shame.

The Z650 street fighter was the last to go in 2001, but there have been so many more that i just don't even have pics of.

Old 31-12-2016, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

I do like the maroon triumph. I think that's the way to go with this current one?
Old 31-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Chat Pimp

Yeah! one of my favorites too, and that's the sort of styling i had in mind, and should require no major frame rework.....mind you i predict a soft tail mod by next winter

Just a thought...long shot but has anyone got a mustang style tank they want to swap for the Sportster tank that's been on it?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Chat Pimp

Quick update, got a few bits through, so far have cut down the old fat back mudguard, and fitted one of the Harley bobber type LED under the fender rear lights, also got a new brake master cylinder to fit under the gearbox, also have one of those cheap Chines chain tensioners to make up and weld a bracket for, and see how long it lasts...not convinced so far.

Also bought a little plastic front mudguard, which should just fit with a little cutting down, so in all i recon i have shead around 30lbs off the weight in all.

Just got to cut a piece of stainless pipe for the turn outs, and then the motor can come out and i can give it a good clean and then get on with some bracket welding on the frame, and then hope for slightly warmer weather so i can get on with some spraying.

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 07-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Looks lke you could do with some new rubber on the back. Looks quite shiney and hard, check the walls, especially close up to the rims, any signs of cracking, get rid! Same for the front tyre as well. Just a bit of advice....
Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Chat Pimp

Surprisingly the tyres look OK no sign of cracks etc, but will probably look for something a bit chunkier on the rear further down the line once i have got it built, any ideas what modern/metric tyre will go on the old 500x16 rim?
Old 09-01-2017, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not the one to ask that...HARRRYYYYY?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky View Post
Surprisingly the tyres look OK no sign of cracks etc, but will probably look for something a bit chunkier on the rear further down the line once i have got it built, any ideas what modern/metric tyre will go on the old 500x16 rim?
Quite a few modern harley's still use 16 x 5" rims (road glides etc). Summat like a 180/65/16 should go on at a guess but you'd have to suck it and see a bit I suppose.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Quite a few modern harley's still use 16 x 5" rims (road glides etc). Summat like a 180/65/16 should go on at a guess but you'd have to suck it and see a bit I suppose.
Thanks! i'll look into that.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Chat Pimp

Engine and frame have now parted company, the engine has had a wash and the frame is now getting some brackets removed and others re positioned ready for paint,

I have been pondering on what to do about the pipes,, i like the three into two high level look but since i will be moving the passenger foot pegs, the design has to be wife friendly, i was going to make them really short, as i am also fitting a hydraulic clutch conversion, which make the slave run right next to the pipes, but i think i will just shield the cylinder instead, and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't over heat it.
Nifty little thing though, fits just right in place of the cable and retains the original adjustment.

Last pic is me trying out an idea with some old fork stanchions, and i have managed to find some slightly shorter turn out extensions on the net complete with baffles for 50, which should with the heat shield i made work OK for the pillion...i hope!

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 20-03-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Haven't you finished that yet? What's keeping you?...tut!

Looking good Matey!. I was going to suggest making the pipes rise from one side a bit like the old T160 X 75 Hurricane?
Old 24-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Haven't you finished that yet? What's keeping you?...tut!

Looking good Matey!. I was going to suggest making the pipes rise from one side a bit like the old T160 X 75 Hurricane?
There was a time when i could of finished it inside a month........sigh!

I have been welding on some brackets, and made the mistake of starting to do a little smoothing in places...but now its going into primer where needed, but its still too cold to risk the top coat for now.

Been gradually getting a few bits through, got some nice risers from China, but the buggers don't supply the mounting bolts, and guess what....they are a really obscure size, looks like either m12 2mm pitch which is not normal should be 1.75mm, or they are 7/16 UNC but with a 12.7 tpi which is also not right should be 14tpi

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 24-01-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 24-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Good old Chinese thread sizes. We install a lot of Huawei equipment and their 12mm bolts have 18mm hex heads, not normally a massive issue but its an extra socket and spanner we have to hump up to a roof when we have enough shit to carry as it is.
Old 25-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Chat Pimp

Its just occurred to me that it might be a 1/2" whitworth thread......old enough to know better, just tried a 1/2" bsf tap and its the right size, so in theory 1/2" BSW has a 12tpi pitch which should work, mind you the guy who does British restos across the road from me didn't think of it either when i was asking if he had a 7/16 UNC bolt.
Old 25-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Nothing like a random size, they must have picked the tap out of the lucky guess box...
Old 26-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Jedi Chat Master

My BSA's like that, no two fasteners the same. Pain in the bloody arse.
Old 26-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Chat Pimp

Its not even worth going to a nut & bolt stockist for BSW, so its ebay, and it looks like its going to be China again for a bolt/set screw with enough thread for the length.
Although i have pretty much all parts ordered, i have to get it put together before i can order all the correct length hydraulic hoses from....China, so i will no doubt be waiting a while
Old 27-01-2017, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Bluddy ell! That bike will be more chinese than blitish when it's finished....
Old 27-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

We'll have to call it the Trink...
Old 27-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Bluddy ell! That bike will be more chinese than blitish when it's finished....
Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post
LOL!

It will only be keeping up with most of today's products...i doubt there is one without at least one Chinese manufactured part, and most have more than 50%
Old 28-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post
Or a Tlumpet?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Chat Pimp

Weather is good enough to get some paint on, before it goes back to sub zero temps again, so i should be able to at least start putting things together very soon.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Chat Pimp

Well as you can see i have finally managed to get some paint on the frame, and now the engine is back in, and other bits will soon follow, just a case of waiting for some parts to arrive, and some haven't even been ordered yet, and i still have to re make the seats, but it wont be long now, just got to try and string it out until the warmer weather gets here, more progress pics to follow.

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 20-03-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Looking good mate!!!