100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Chat Virgin

Default Am I prepared for a Harley?

Hi folks. I was a newbie I was hoping for some advice. I've developed my interest in the bike world since a close family friend bought a trike 6 months ago. Although I'm not really in the market for a trike, I've always had an interest in cruiser motorcycles and quite fancy indulging in a mid-life crisis, spending a chunk of my savings and finding myself a bargain second hand Harley Davidson for sale. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the subject matter is very limited. I have a full bike license dating back to my early 20's when I owned a Honda 125cc. But that was a longtime ago and I doubt I am in anyway prepared to jump straight onto a motorcycle the size of a Harley and ride off into the sunset without causing myself and/or probably somebody else a serious injury or worse. So I guess my first question is what would be the best way to prepare in advance. Buy and spend 6 months riding an intermediate sized motorcycle to get back into the swing of things? Or are there refresher courses or courses designed specifically for who want to ride cruiser motorcycles out there? Also, on a slightly different angle, what are the things i should look out for and bear in mind when considering buying a used Harley? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Last edited by Lima5298; 15-08-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Jedi Chat Master

I'd have a word with a local bike school and see what they'd charge you for a couple of refresher sessions. They could start you off on a 125 off road and progress to a bigger bike once you're confident enough.

After that it depends how you feel. If you're still a bit wary, maybe a cheap second hand cruiser is the way to go for a season.

If it's a new Harley you're after, you could do a lot worse than to test ride one of the new Street 750's. They're cheap as chips and get great reviews. That said, all but the huge fully dressed Harley's are a doddle to ride, they carry their weight low and have low seat heights so you can get your feet flat on the ground which is always a bonus for the less confident.

Good luck Lima. Have a look on here for loads of good info and have a think about joining up once you've bitten the bullet http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum.php . You will buy one, cos I recognise the symtoms of Hog Fever. You're doomed now, it's just a matter of time.
Old 13-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Need to Get out More!

Getting yourself a cheap runaround for 6 months or a year is best advice.
It's not just about the bike or how you ride it, it's about how attitudes have got so bad towards bikers on the roads you are easy meat for any dick head in 4 or more wheels.
Probably the biggest reason why anyone gives up biking or starts and then quits is how other road users will look you on the eye and run you down without any hesitation just because you're impeding on what they see as their roadspace. For the sake of turning their steering wheel a centimetre they would rather wipe you out on their ego filled shit lives.
Biking is for diehards more so than ever.

Back to basics, the biggest limitation to what you can ride will be insurance.
It's not a case of what cost, but a matter of them refusing to quote you on certain models. So getting 1 years ncd under your belt on a used cruiser is smart move before looking at something special.

SS2 has given you some sound advice. Get some training
If you want it that bad you will do it.
Training certificates are good when you want to insure a bike.

Don't scrimp on bike gear. Get the best you can and wear it.
Even a 30mph spill can take your flesh off down the bone.
Old 15-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
I'd have a word with a local bike school and see what they'd charge you for a couple of refresher sessions. They could start you off on a 125 off road and progress to a bigger bike once you're confident enough.

After that it depends how you feel. If you're still a bit wary, maybe a cheap second hand cruiser is the way to go for a season.

If it's a new Harley you're after, you could do a lot worse than to test ride one of the new Street 750's. They're cheap as chips and get great reviews. That said, all but the huge fully dressed Harley's are a doddle to ride, they carry their weight low and have low seat heights so you can get your feet flat on the ground which is always a bonus for the less confident.

Good luck Lima. Have a look on here for loads of good info and have a think about joining up once you've bitten the bullet http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum.php . You will buy one, cos I recognise the symtoms of Hog Fever. You're doomed now, it's just a matter of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Getting yourself a cheap runaround for 6 months or a year is best advice.
It's not just about the bike or how you ride it, it's about how attitudes have got so bad towards bikers on the roads you are easy meat for any dick head in 4 or more wheels.
Probably the biggest reason why anyone gives up biking or starts and then quits is how other road users will look you on the eye and run you down without any hesitation just because you're impeding on what they see as their roadspace. For the sake of turning their steering wheel a centimetre they would rather wipe you out on their ego filled shit lives.
Biking is for diehards more so than ever.

Back to basics, the biggest limitation to what you can ride will be insurance.
It's not a case of what cost, but a matter of them refusing to quote you on certain models. So getting 1 years ncd under your belt on a used cruiser is smart move before looking at something special.

SS2 has given you some sound advice. Get some training
If you want it that bad you will do it.
Training certificates are good when you want to insure a bike.

Don't scrimp on bike gear. Get the best you can and wear it.
Even a 30mph spill can take your flesh off down the bone.
Thanks for the sensible and solid advice guys. I will let you know how I get along.