100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 19-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxbobber View Post
On the gs if you dont run lights all the time disconnect one of the alternator leads there are 3 all the same colour going to the regulator ,it will stop the alternator going tits up and overheating had more gs than hot dinners.
what utter utter bollocks! DO NOT DO THIS!!! so speaks someone who knows nowt. the 3 phases on a suzuki gs reg rec are different colours. the problem gs alternators had was that suzuki did pretty much what is suggested here, by running one of the alternator phases through the main light switch, so that the battery was charged normally by just 2 phases of the alternator and the third one came in when the lights were put on. this imbalance eventually cooked reg recs, alternators and eventually if unchecked, bulbs and even the cdi.
the best thing to do is to run all three phases of the alternator into all three inputs of the reg rec, this allows the system to work properly like it should have been wired if suzuki hadnt been trying to be clever. many folk have in the past fitted honda reg recs to their gs and gsx systems, which work great, but the best thing to do now is to fit an electrex reg rec if you need one.
and keep the oil level topped up. theres some school of thought that if the oil gets low, the windings can get too hot, though as they are cooled by oil from the crank bearing, im not convinced, but keeping the oil level right isnt bad advice regardless of if it affects the genny!

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 19-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
and keep the oil level topped up. theres some school of thought that if the oil gets low, the windings can get too hot, though as they are cooled by oil from the crank bearing,
I've heard that too.
Old 19-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Chatter Box

My old katana gs (up there ) used to run a dyna s ignition set up and circycle yellow jacket coils and i reckon that it was the best money i spent on the whole bike as even with the 14.1 compression ratio it still used to start and run spot on
Never had any regulator grief but cant say i took a great deal of notice what reg was fitted
Also getting back to the motor reliability i used to rag the living shit out of that bike and could still use it to go to work every day without worrying
My mate used to do alot of the headwork for pip higham at village bike shop in manchester and he used to race a gsx1100 et that had a turbo and a supercharger fitted (at the same time) and that used to hold together pretty well ,went through tyres fairly quick tho
Old 19-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
keep the oil level topped up. theres some school of thought that if the oil gets low, the windings can get too hot, though as they are cooled by oil from the crank bearing, im not convinced, but keeping the oil level right isnt bad advice regardless of if it affects the genny!
I agree with the honda reg / rec and oil level advice, I only had one gs fail on me, was a 750 with 850 top end in a hardtail. Magnets came off the rotor in Holland, pulled them out and got home with battery power.

Roller bearing Suzukis are great old lumps.

edit. the winding screws came loose on my efe after a particularly intense wheelie session. still repaired at roadside.

Last edited by Mc Nasty; 19-10-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 19-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Guess what I just bought????
very nice,ya jammy sod
Old 30-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Chat Virgin

hello, have and love my 3 gs 850's.. one a prize winner,one for sale whence finished and one that needs a back end badly,wheel,swinging arm etc. in devon uk. Adam
Old 30-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Chat Virgin

so, back end req, anyone got????
Old 30-05-2016, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Adam, you're posting in a 5 year old thread. Probably better if you start a fresh one.
Old 31-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Cory View Post
so, back end req, anyone got????
Hi Adam, welcome to the forum, matey.

It would help if you filled out the user CP up on the left hand side and tell us a bit about yourself, then we can all take the rip out of you, cos we like doing things like that! then you can do the same to us, everyone else does.

And as Beer Monster says, the thread's so old it's beard is longer than his, so it's best to start a new one.