100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 20-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Chat Virgin

Default Frame repair help

Been a while since been on here but finally getting round to working on and restoring my 70s chopper.
At some point during the bikes life someone drilled 4 holes in the frame. Two don't go all the way through and had threaded bar in it and was being used to hold the tank on, badly, and the other 2 do go all the way through and are being used to hang the silencers from. Not only do I not need these anymore but I'm not a fan of having holes in a 50 year old chopped British frame.
Anyone have any advice on the best option to fill the holes?
Old 20-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Jedi Chat Master

My advice here would be find a good welder frame builder he will be able to clean around the holes and check for any stress fractures round them, if all is good just fill with weld, if all is not good he will be able to replace the section

If you want to re use the mountings your welder will be able to put tube through the holes so you can safely nut and bolt through

Hope this makes sense Dai
Old 20-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Chat Virgin

Unhappy

Makes perfect sense. I'm not going to reuse the holes in anyway and will have proper mounting bungs fitted for the tank. The entire frame needs stripping and redoing so should be best time to give it a proper look over. The more I get in to this bike the more corners I find were cut when it was originally rebuilt.
Old 20-03-2016, 10:17 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Check for paint cracking at the welds a sure sign that the frame has been flexing
If it looks ok get it shot blasted check for dodgy welds and cracking
If you find cracks or too much dodgy welding it's time to find a frame builder and get a new frame made up HUC come to mind here their burner frame looks nice handles and is well priced this would give you peace of mind knowing the frame has been built property with new steel