100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Showroom

Notices

Old 17-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Chat Virgin

Default megelli resto / rebuild/ redesign.....cheap and cheerful first race bike.

Hello.
bought a megelli 125r. Id never heard of them, but they are:
1: pretty big....essential when your 6ft so as not to look like a circus bear
2: really chaep, as nobody has ever heard of them.

I knew it would have loads of cheap crap on it, but at 200 dabs, it was a chance to get back into biking, without a big commitment.

I know there are haters out there, its a toy...chinese crap etc....best bet for you guys is probably read another thread.

But for me, I like tinkering. Im strapped for cash so as always budget is a big/main issue.

ive repainted all the fairing. every tab was snapped off, and there are loads of cracks/bits missing. had to do major surgery on every part as the last owner wanted to streetfighter it and was not bothered about taking parts off carefully.
going to try to copy the sachs minerva colour scheme.
the original exhaust was fooked, and it came with a stainless can. this was under the frame, near thekickstand, and i could see it banging on everything so ive re routed itb to under the seat. im making a new tail tidy, as the original plastic job is all craked and shattered.

/IMG_3692_zpstpkrgisr.jpg[/img]
this is the old plastic one. ive tried repairing it, but i wasnt happy, so im re making it.

this is made from 40mm mild steel bar, 4mm thick.
its a bit of a jigsaw, but it was from the scrapyars and cheap at a fiver for 8ft of it.

a bit of hope to inspire the build.....a nice painted fairing after major repair....

im not doing a list yet as there are a million and 1 jobs.

scored some flexi stainless tube to make an exhaust from had to do it in several pieces, but its really strong, you struggle to bend it over your knee and it wont rust. 3 quid from the scrappy. coincidentally the id is exactly the same as the od of my exhaust....result!

its routed roughly, but ive got to make all the mounts, couplings and bits to stop it fouling and rattling. going well so far though.
ordered exhaust paste and stainless clips, and some hose for the strange valve on the frame, that recirculates the exhaust.......new to me this modern stuff......it may even start after that!
Old 17-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Chat Virgin

first set up of the new tail tidy. it needs re positioning as its way too low on thw wheel.

Old 17-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Chat Virgin

lots of broke.

picked this up for a tenner. mainly wanted the bars as mine were bent. already paid for itself as i found that my youkes had sheared bolts in.....result!

Old 17-12-2015, 08:22 PM
Chat Virgin

5 new tabs of abs glued on and repainted before the white vinyl is applied.
using rustoleum hard hat, i recommend it, gret coverage, and ultra hard when its cured. it need laquer for a good shine, i may or may not do that, its to early to be bothered yet.

Old 17-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Chat Virgin

other one is in bits now. learned a lot by dissasmbling it. it will help me with repairing the swingarm bushes on my main megelli, as ive sussed how it comes aprt. also, ive spare forks to play with to strip and get my vernier onto, for fork seal replacement.
Old 17-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Chat Virgin

Old 18-12-2015, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting there. Lots of bits! How many bikes there to make one good one?
Old 18-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Oh and welcome to the forum, matey! How about filling out the user CP up on the left hand side and tell us a bit more about yourself? Like where you from, what you do etc. It coz we're nosy y'know!
Old 18-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Chat Virgin

Thanks Mr tuck. I have done so now.

just one main bike, and one rolling chassis. Should be good with just them, its mostly cosmetic work now, apart from wiring....exhaust.....valves etc etc etc...
Old 18-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Chat Virgin

Now thinking of moving the tail tidy, dont like it where it is, it makes the wheel space look cluttered.
ill have to fab some brackets to weld onto the frame......doesnt matter if its wrong, ive got another one.....and its bolt on anyway.
post some pics later, and perhaps you can tell me which you prefer
Old 18-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Chat Virgin

Todays work so far.

screen was scratched and crazed. all the lugs were missing. remade them from abs, araldited them on and fiberglassed it smooth. fortunately the sachs colour scheme has a red visor, so i dont mind. plus, the visor is so low, id never be looking through it unless i had my chin on the tank.
tail wasnt to bad, but cracked in the middle. itll need modding to accept the new tail tidy though.
belly pan had a large piece missing, the area that cocers the stand, so i cut the cracked bit off and rounded it out. at least 5 big cracks in this so its got a lot of abs and filler. it will need more filler......really it was only fit for the bin, but i cant find another thats not in australia, and the shipping is way too much...so repair it is.
tail tidy needs re shaping aas i was tired last night welding it up, and its a bit out, but a thin cutting disc will make short work of that. needs holes for the indicators, but my current drill set only goes to 6mm, (over that are all blunt-really blunt) so i need to get a bigger set.

Old 19-12-2015, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Jeez! Your choice of background colours are a bit... err... busy?
Old 21-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Chat Virgin

Ha! old hippy at heart.

another full day of flatting, paint reactions, more flatting, more paint reactions, a bit of melted plastic- tried every type of glue on this abs, and the best way so far is getting a sheet of abs from ebay, cutting it into thin strips, and hot knifing it into the cracks. it will sand, and has a surprisingly strong grip. just fixed 2 four inch cracks on the mudguard, and its stronger than the original now.