100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 18-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Terrorist View Post
I was thinking, thats a change from his first post, even though it's not quite right.
which bits arent right if you dont mind me askin?
Old 18-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit_Streetfighter View Post
you wouldnt have credibility in the MC world if you havnt already been a patched member
Surely that would depend on why you were no longer a patched member? Just cos you once wore a patch doesn't mean you have instant credibility.
Old 18-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I have more time for youngsters prepared to listen than older hands who start/join an MCC and then arrange it with a MC hierarchy. MCCs with 'Sergeant-at-Arms' and 'Presidents'? Sheesh.
Agreed Blue, but this is really an offence against the British way of doing things rather than 'MC heirarchy'
The whole 'President / secretary / sergeant-at-arms' structure as well as the subdivision of clubs into 'chapters' is simply the way that American clubs and societies are organised.
Its not an 'outlaw biker' thing at all.
Everyone, from Rotarians from Milwaukee to the El Paso 'chapter' of the Studebaker owners club will have their club structured along these lines.
We did all know that, didn't we?
Old 18-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz View Post
Everyone, from Rotarians from Milwaukee to the El Paso 'chapter' of the Studebaker owners club will have their club structured along these lines.
I'm trying to think of the rotary club with a Sgt at Arms and not giggle.

The rugby club has a president but no-ones seen him for years. We tried to get a blonde secretary but the best we could do was a hooker.
I was social secretary till I got tired of propping them up.
Old 18-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Terrorist View Post
See, I feel odd now, cos I have no wish to join a MC!! i'm quite happy where I am with the MCC. At this stage, I could not give a club the time it needs to be in a MC, I'm putting my time into my kids. In the future, when they have grown up I may feel differently? But who knows.
Yeah me too, well if i could find any local clubs round here. It sure seems the French scene is organised totally differently. Maybe I'll pick up some info at the Freewheels (their equivalent of the Bulldog).
Old 18-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick2 View Post
there is a genaral lack of kids coming into our chosen way of life. a look around any rally field can confirm that
I saw a healthy amount of 125's with L Plates at the Rally I attended over the weekend. I have also noticed a steadily increasing number at the Farmyard each year. They are out there Mick, a lot depends on when and where, but they are out there and it's damn good to see.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 18-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
I saw a healthy amount of 125's with L Plates at the Rally I attended over the weekend. I have also noticed a steadily increasing number at the Farmyard each year. They are out there Mick, a lot depends on when and where, but they are out there and it's damn good to see.
aye they are deffo there but not in any great number, at least not up this way anyway which is a shame.
Old 19-07-2010, 06:28 AM

I'm doing my bit to bring youngsters into biking, might be a bit too young yet though!!!

Old 19-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Where I work, there's a healthy number of 125's on Learner plates.

The only person under 30 that's into the 'club' scene doesn't ride a bike though.
Old 19-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Ok hands up seems I initially jumped over the guy and did a bit of piss ripping. The simple fact is that you asked the questions and you got some answers. Now you have moved on and have made contact with a club. If its for you then great have fun.

Like a lot of fellas on here I have been about the bike scene for a long time and we do get snobby or a bit arsey with youngsters...simply put am turning into my bloody father....most of us have friends who are 1%ers or like some on here are 1%ers.

One comment that did make me think was about MCCs I know the TOMCC does not have the kudos of some others but try running a club with 70 members and 3 people do all the work...we dont have presidents or Sergeants at arms ..what we have is a couple of guys who want a decent club with like minded members and we end up with a shit load of moaning faced bitches who want everything put on plate for them. Democracy is 3 guys working on events trying to get help from any body we can. So I can sort of see how some MCCs evolve into different animal.

I couldnt do the prospect thing just not in me if you can and you succeed great. I think many people like myself respect the guys who made it and once they have the patch continually work for it and maintain its standards. The guys who get patched and then forget that by wearing a patch they represent the club so if they act like twats it reflects on the whole club.

I have met with a shit load of 1% members as most of us have and if you treat them as you yourself wish to be treated then for the most part they are decent blokes who will offer advice or a helping hand.

So if yer goin down the back patch route good on ye best of luck to you.

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 19-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Agreed kidhaf.

However maybe it's a kid trying to run before they can walk. A week ago, BS knew bugger all, going on his posts. Now he's handing out advice to others.

These things take time.
Old 19-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz View Post
Agreed Blue, but this is really an offence against the British way of doing things rather than 'MC heirarchy'
The whole 'President / secretary / sergeant-at-arms' structure as well as the subdivision of clubs into 'chapters' is simply the way that American clubs and societies are organised.
Its not an 'outlaw biker' thing at all.
Granted, Briz, and valid point about the American way of organisation. Do you really think that local MCCs are appointing 'officers' just because the Lubbock, Texas branch of the Rotary club does? Second generation plagiarism.
Old 19-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Chat Virgin

No! not at all!
They're certainly trying to ape the perceived modus operandis of the backpatch clubs.
But there does seem to be a widespread & amusing misconception in this country that all this structure is a backpatch-club only thing.
I'm sure we've all had people sidle warily up at gas stations, car shows etc and ask "are you in a (pause, look round furtively) chapter?"

I love the idea that people must assume that Mr Barger & co sat round a table in the early '50s thinking up sinister sounding words for club terminology!

I'm also amused by the way that those among us who get hot under the collar about americanisms like 'fender', never seem to mention this rather egregious wholesale importation of club terms.
Wonder why?
Old 19-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Briz, the term Sgt At Arms is not a new one, nor is it an America invention. It's origins come from mediaeval England. The Sgt At Arms was a personal attendant upon the King, tasked with keeping order and are the oldest order of Royal bodyguards. They are the most trusted and loyal and rightly so.

All positions of authority are derived from their ancient counterparts. They have served countless organisations well down the centuries, and will likely influence future organisations too, whatever walk of life they be in.

Old 19-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Need to Get out More!

sure goes back a long way cos i remember my dear old dad taking me to the working mens club when i were but a wee bairn,..they had a president, secretary.treasurer etc....
Old 19-07-2010, 11:59 AM

Like it or not some of this makes sense, some dont, but if someone wants a bit of an insight and doesnt have a clue, can find a bit of info on here

http://www.rcvsmc.net/index.html

but bear in mind it isnt the ''Unwritten law'' and things are different this side of the pond on quiet a few points
Old 19-07-2010, 12:30 PM

I use the Bill & Ted Philosophy as told by President Abraham Lincoln....

"Fourscore and...[looks at his pocket watch] seven minutes ago... we, your forefathers, were brought forth upon a most excellent adventure conceived by our new friends, Bill... and Ted. These two great gentlemen are dedicated to a proposition which was true in my time, just as it's true today. Be excellent to each other. And... PARTY ON, DUDES!"

Old 19-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Briz, the term Sgt At Arms is not a new one, nor is it an America invention. It's origins come from mediaeval England. The Sgt At Arms was a personal attendant upon the King, tasked with keeping order and are the oldest order of Royal bodyguards. They are the most trusted and loyal and rightly so.

All positions of authority are derived from their ancient counterparts. They have served countless organisations well down the centuries, and will likely influence future organisations too, whatever walk of life they be in.
I know that well enough. Theres even one at the house of commons. Albeit spelled with a 'J'
And theres plenty of usage of 'president' and 'secretary' outside of bike clubs. And books have chapters.
But the combination of all those terms as applied to the organisation of clubs & societies is very much American
Old 19-07-2010, 01:03 PM

Briz, our colonial cousins in the America's are famous for their use of derivative processes when organizing themselves and then claiming the invented it. My use of the Sgt At Arms title as an example shows that perfectly. Every organisation from the MC clubs to the Freemasons has officers whose titles can be traced back to mediaeval nobility and in some cases back to ancient Greek city states that predated the bloody Romans...

I can see what you mean though.

Old 19-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Chat Virgin

Someone can read as much as they want... books, websites whatever....
unless you are in a club; a trusted member, you will never fully know what goes on or how its run....
now dont get me wrong you may think you do know the ins and outs of a club and the protocalls etc.. and maybe you do know enough to be able to preach on here to folk and the younger generation that dont know a lot ... i mean come on, it aint hard watch sons of anarchy for christ sake. that'll tell ya everything ya need to know! wont it??
but at the end of the day... like its already been said on ere every club differs and has its own way of doing things. it cant be learnt by listenin to everything on ere or by watching a film or reading a book.
Hat is off to anyone willing to make the sacfrifices a club requires and anyone who has the bottle to make it all the way coz 9 times outta 10 they dont make it!!

Last edited by -DAN-; 19-07-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 19-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DAN- View Post
9 times outta 10 they dont make it!!
Yep, not everyone has what it takes and every club has different opinions on what kind of person they want in their organisation. So the young lad should be aware of this and not be too downhearted if he doesn't make the grade.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Chat Virgin

Interesting thread. I was in Cornwall then, knowing the club from the 70's till they disbanded. On a personal note regarding "officer status" on none back patch clubs, I can actually verify that this has happened on "support" clubs that have been voted in to that area to eventually go "patchover" when the time was right. I was the president then of a such club, on the SW/Midlands borders.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Chat Virgin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajir View Post
who does own cornwall now?????
the AQUILA from Plymouth are seen alot in my town in cornwall

Last edited by Jace; 25-04-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 25-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

they were all en mass up my way over the weekend, must have been club run of some sort, looked real good, and so damned rare to see more than 2-3 bikes together, especially patched
Old 25-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff View Post
A toe in deep water will either lead to jumping out sharpish like most, drowning in it like many, or learning to swim to keep one's head above water.
Time will tell.
Taff, not into clubs meself, but I fkin love this quote!
Old 26-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajir View Post
maybe he could start a charter of sons of anarchy down there
or the Sadsimians?
Old 26-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Chat Virgin

Default patched

down my way we've got Aquila (devon) Defiant Few(cornwall), the odd occasion the H/A come down. it is a great sight to see at least 20 - 30 pacthed bikes thumping down the road. does make the hairs stand on end..
Old 29-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff View Post
Cornwall was all 'owned' by Scorpio MC at that time.
It aint now.
I went in circa '86/'87, whilst camping at Headland Campsite Tintagel, as i did every year, was chuffed as nuts to see bike pics posted all over the pub, and a BSH feature of my GS750 hardtail chop pasted on the ceiling.
Had to hide my face for fear of my evening being spoilt by unwanted attention. (Possibly erred on the side of caution there, but i thought it best for my own safety...)
is this the same who was at my marrige to chrisse?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Chat Virgin

Default updated website

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-R View Post
If you want to meet the Defiant Few you should visit a bike event around Cornwall you may find them there or you could visit http://www.defiantfew.co.uk/index.html They are a good bunch of chaps.

Respect.
sorry its such a old post but i thought i update the website addy for everyone
cheers
http://www.defiantfew-mc.co.uk
Old 03-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Chat Virgin

Defiant few are good lads. So are we at the Aquila MC. We have a chapter in cornwall as well as devon