100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 22-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Chat Virgin

Thanks for that Chris
Old 18-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Chat Virgin

Ive weighed the trike and got a ticket ive filled in the amateur build declaration and the SVA 1 form is there anything else i need to fill in and send for my application ?
Old 19-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Chatter Box

It sounds like you have got a car application. The form you need is MSVA1 which doesn't need a separate amatuer build declaration. SVA is almost dead replaced by IVA for cars.

This is the form you need:http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/reposito...(MSVA%201).doc

Cheers

Chris
Old 01-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Chat Virgin

sorry to be a pain but test is booked and ive been looking through the manual again one thing id like to know about is the brake master cylinder

12. Check that hydraulic system reservoirs are so designed and constructed that the level of the reserve fluid can be easily checked.

just wondering what this means in the real world lol
is it ok to take the lid off to check it?

cheers

Dan
Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Chatter Box

Hi Dan,

We had to come up with a definition of easily checked in the early days because the EU didn't bother to specify what they meant (no surprise there).

It's the note just below 12, if you can take the lid off by hand that's fine, if it has a viewing window or is translucent so that you can see the level that's fine too.

If the reservoir is solid and the lid needs tools to remove it then the tool required must be part of the vehicle equipment. So the allen key or screwdriver or whatever needs to be on the trike and not in your pocket.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Chat Slapper

Default Exposed handbrake cables

Hello again Chris.My handbrake is mounted on the right hand side of the main frame spars (easily accessible) but its left me with approx 7 to 8 inches of exposed handbrake cable by my lower leg.Would it pass if both cables were encased in some stainless braided hose? Thank you.
Craig
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Chat Slapper

great work chris.. glad weve had you onboard all this time..
any chance you can have a look at this post please, cuz i cant find an answer in the book or anywhere online
http://www.100-biker.co.uk/forums/sh...190#post617190

any help much appreciated.

jay
Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Chatter Box

Hi Craig,

The main things that the examiner will be looking for is that the cable can do its job without fouling etc and that it doesn't pose any danger to you. So if the cables are protected and not sawing into your leg it should be fine.

Jay,

If the centres of the two wheels/tyres on the ground are less than 460mm apart they will be treated as one wheel. This exists in both UK C&U and various bits of eurobabble from a construction (type approval) point of view.

If you build a machine this way it will be approved, registered and licenced as a motorcycle. So you will have to wear a lid.

The most common example of this is the Piaggio MP3, looks like a 3 wheeler but is a bike. That said they now make one with wider spaced wheels which is a trike (so that people who don't have a bike licence can ride them). A less common example is the bike built some years back around a Dodge Viper V10 engine and for history buffs, NVT's last stand, the Ariel 3 moped was another.

There is a definition of twinned wheels at the back of the MSVA manual in the glossary.

Cheers

Chris
Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Chat Slapper

Cheers Chris..
Can you clarify if by 'centres of wheel/tyres' is it referring to the actual centre line of each wheel/tyre or the width betwixt the two inner tyre Walls?

Thanks again n go steady

Jay
Old 18-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Chatter Box

Hi Jay,

The distance to measure is between the centre point of each tyre's contact with the ground.

It is not the distance between the inner tyre walls.

Hope this clears things up

Cheers

Chris
Old 18-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Chat Slapper

Yes mate perfectly

Cheers
Old 24-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Chat Virgin

Hi Chris,

I want to build a replica of an 1895 Leon Bollee tricycle, it is unusual in that the pasenger sits at the front and the driver behind, although somewhat elevated to allow him to see, I have read the msva guide and can (not suprisingly) not find any info on wether this would be do-able, indeed I cant find any info anywhere. There are still some of these vehicles on the road so there must be some allowence for them, any ideas?

Cheers

Haydn
Old 27-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

Hi Chris, I have questions LOL

my trike is already registered with a Q plate, I have been thinking about turning it into a quad over the winter, now Im a little perplexed as the manual seems to say that quads arent allowed to have engines over 15kw? and the weight limit is 400kg.

so how do the boom quads or the racing quads that you see, or even the big agricultural style ones make it onto the road??
Old 30-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

tony - i believe big quads are not quadricycles but agricultural vehicles for taxation etc reasons might be worth looking at their regs
Old 30-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
tony - i believe big quads are not quadricycles but agricultural vehicles for taxation etc reasons might be worth looking at their regs
Quads are classed as 2 distinct types

Vehicle classification L6e
Light quadricycle – Four wheels, with a maximum unladen mass of 350kg (not including the mass of the batteries in an electrically powered vehicle), a maximum speed of 45km/h, a maximum spark ignition internal combustion engine capacity of 50cm3, or maximum power of any other internal combustion engine of 4kW or maximum electric motor power of 4kW.

Vehicle classification L7e
Quadricycle - Four wheels, with a maximum unladen mass of 400kg or 550kg for a goods carrying vehicle (not including the mass of the batteries in an electrically powered vehicle) and a maximum net power, whatever the type of engine or motor, of 15kW.

Both types of quad are taxed as PLG at car tax rates for <1500 cc cars unless they are electrically powered or they have been declared to be Agricultural vehicles to the DVLA by the supplier. Electrically powered ones pay no tax and agricultural ones pay reduced rate tax and are not allowed on motorways, but they are also allowed to be run on red diesel in the case of diesel powered ones

Last edited by happybiker; 30-08-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: wanted to
Old 17-09-2011, 08:51 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

IRS trike...

is it acceptable for MSVA, to fit the brake discs on the diff output flanges (inboard discs), think sierra set up, so there would be two lobro type joints between the brakes and wheel.

Just doing my home work before spending any money!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Chat Virgin

Default engine change

hi you have probably been asked 100 times before i have a q plated 850 trike and wish to change it to a 900cc engine do i just fill in log book or do i have to have it inspected again im using the same engine mounts and making no changes to frame any help greatly recieved
Old 27-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

ok then, this is a hypothetical question as I would in no way twist or contort the truth to suit my needs LOL

MSVA test for bikes, no emissions test for a vehicle with engine manufactured before '93, thats simple

BUT could that be construed as made to a design from before '93, or does it relate to the ACTUAL date of manufacture

I think I know the answer, in fact I do know the answer but Im desperate LOL

thing is my latest build is a 2 stroke, now getting one of them through emissions test is a joke, the engine is identical to the ones made in 1989, but it just so happens that mine wasnt made until about 2001 or so

what evidence is required at MSVA? or is my word good enough?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 AM

tis ok now, many thanks anyway, but just heard from my local test centre, they cant test 2 strokes for emissions, so I dont have to worry

YAY
Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Trike Rigid Rear

Hi Chris.
I have put a number of trikes through MSVA with independent rear ends and live axles no problems.
I have a request to put a rigid back end under a trike.
Under section 22 (1) construction and use it calls for suspension to be fitted.
Is this an MSVA or MOT requirement. The police dont ever seem to pick up on this under the CU Regs.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 PM

section 3 e of that reg states that motorcycles arent included

and seeing as the MSVA is a motorcycle single vehicle approcal test I would say that its also quite happy

rear suspension is not part of the MSVA test, its not even mentioned in the manual as far as I remember, but if its built crap then it will fail under section 14.

I have just looked through the MOt manual and rather interestingly, it states that rear suspension can be rigid on bikes, but the class 3/4 MOT says nothing like that, trike mot is class 3, but section 9.2 is to be used in conjunction with section 2 of the class 4 manual, the only "difference" for class 3 test is that it has info for bike forks

just my opinion, but in "theory" no hardtail trike should pass an MOT LOL

but a hardtail bike is fine

only get out I could think of is the wording with regards to "where fitted as standard" well a trike isnt standard??
Old 06-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Chat Virgin

Hi devon-tony, thanks for the quick reply.
I also understood that C&U 22 (3) (e) exempts bikes.
The MSVA manual does not cover this apart from general build quality.
Nothing black and white in the MOT.
I think the only thing to do is put it to the guy who wants the job doing and leave the ball in his court.
There are after all a lot of rigid trikes out there that don`t seem to be getting any Grief.
Thanks again for your input.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Rigid rear ended trikes are OK for MSVA. As Tony says it just looks at build quality.

Aint got C7U to hand but I believe it exempts trikes as it does bikes.

MOT is easy, just look in the Reasons for Rejection.

There is no RfR for no suspension.

But modifications can be failed if they weaken the suspension. Therefore if you replaced a coil/damper unit with a strut that is too weak that can be failed.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Hi Chris, long time no see

I have a question regarding the latests 'upgrades' to the MoT testing.

A motoring column had the question 'can I take the diesel particulate filter off my car?'
The answer was "Removal would probably cause it to fail the latest MoT legislation which requires all original emissions reduction equipment to remain in place"

How do BMW bike owners (like me) stand under future legislation?
My bike came with a catalytic converter. You may remember that I replaced it with a Sebring 'Y' piece and a Remus.
It would be all too easy for the EU to stipulate "if the bike was fitted with a Cat, it must be there when it is submitted for an MoT"
I'm only surprised it hasn't already happened.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:06 PM

hopefully your still on here

I can normally ring my pet tester at the station but hes retired and the direct dial number I had for him just rings out now

anyway I have a couple of questions with relation to my current trike build

I know that the manual mentions light switches must be able to be operated with hands on the controls, does this refer to all the switches or just hi lo?

what I want to do is have light switch, off/position/on, on a toggle under seat area, then push button setup in the bar with volvo relay for flash/hi/lo, using small toggle switch for indicators, and another push button for horn.

indicators on left, horn on left and probably hi lo button on the right or on the front of the left bar

do the switches need to be labelled? cant see anything in the manual as a reason to fail

last test I did I used switchgear but this time Im fabbing as much as I humanly can myself and my intention is to make it ultra clean and minimal
Old 12-11-2014, 04:07 PM

just checked last activity dont think he comes on here anymore LOL
Old 13-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Chat Pimp

Shame, good to have a couple of Msva testers with there finger on the pulse, Harry is still here font of all knowledge
Old 13-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Hi Tony, I don't think MSVA Tech (Chris) will be back on here. He was moved sideways to a different job.

The ruling on switches should be interpreted so that Horn, Dip/Main and Indicators can be operated with your hands on the bars in a normal manner.

But a lighting switch ie On Off hould be reachable from a normal riding position.
So under the seat etc is ok as long as you can locate it while seated normally.
Old 14-11-2014, 01:35 PM

cheers thats how I read them too, just nice to get another opinion

been messing about with rear light positions, only yesterday actually noticed that min height for indicator and brake light is different

the bottom edge of mine will be 256mm from the ground, squeeking it fine, just need to make sure that brand new tyres and well inflated for the test

hahaha