100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 24-06-2014, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.. View Post
At mot time the tester will put down exactly whatever is showing on the clock in either kmh or mph whichever it is shown in, the last 3 milage readings on the mot should show the milage in whatever it was read in .... eg 1234kmh 2345kmh then 47627 MPH or whatever so it will be easy to see that a clock change as been done

actually the MOT has space for Odometer reading and history..not miles or kilometers..one of mine reads 30/12/2010 : 1308..20/02/2012 : 27858..14/02/1013 : 27963 ..10/02/14 : 29785..One of my other bikes has a speedo that displays speed in MPH and the odometer clocks up Kilometers..the MOT station said they only record the numbers, not what they represent.

In America clocking is legal on bikes over a certain age so you will never see an old bike imported from the states with over 30,000 miles on it..

John.
Old 24-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.. View Post
I am also now an mot tester i only do bikes class I &II just thought i'd mention theres different rules & regs for bikes & cars which is where a lot of the confusion & misinformation comes from ........... as an example theres no numberplate size rules for bikes just letter size so if i can read it from a reasonable distance its a pass
On the other hand, there are LEGAL rules for numberplate sizes on bikes and you can be pulled up by the police and fined if the plate is too small! - I know cos it happened to my daughter.
Old 24-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGran View Post
On the other hand, there are LEGAL rules for numberplate sizes on bikes and you can be pulled up by the police and fined if the plate is too small! - I know cos it happened to my daughter.
Just because you get a tug from plod does not mean a thing, they once tried to do me for tyre tread below 1.6mm. on a bike.

I was looking at a DVLA poster today about reg plates and I noticed something for the car plate they quoted a "border" size from the digits to the edge of the plate but this was not mentioned for the bike plate.

Now this being DVLA who are useless it needs more research but it could mean that only the digit size and spacing needs to be right on a bike plate.

After all officer it's what DVLA recomend
Old 24-06-2014, 10:21 PM

Found this via Gov.uk site, last updated: 10 June 2014

From DVLA leaflet INF104 - Vehicle registration numbers and number plates

Quote:
Motorcycles and tricycles

There are separate provisions for motorcycles and tricycles. This means, motorcycles registered from 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.

Motorcycles registered before 1 September 2001 can display a number plate at the front, but do not have to. The number plate must be a “2-line” number plate and must be displayed on all motorcycles registered on or after 1 January 1973. Tricycles derived from four-wheeled bodies, such as saloon cars and quad bikes must meet the normal requirements above.

Tricycles derived from motorcycles must meet the requirements for motorcycles shown below.

Character height 64mm
Character width (except the figure 1 or letter I) 44mm
Character stroke 10 mm
Space between characters 10mm
Space between groups 30mm
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11mm
Vertical space between groups 13mm

Number plates fitted before 1 September 2001
(I can't copy this as it's in two columns but the link is https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-number-plates

So yes, there are rules about the border size, and the lettering size, and they have to be on two lines - Rose's plate didn't comply with any of those.
Old 25-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Good find.

I notice there is no overall size for a bike plate
Old 25-06-2014, 10:10 PM

I'm not sure that there's a specified overall size for any plate, except as dictated by the legal size of the letters and the margin.
Old 26-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Interesting I know a fair few bikes with 3 line plates which according to that would be illegal.

Also it does sort of set a min size as 1 of the lines must have 4 digits in a 7 digit reg and so i think that is border + characterx4 + gapx3 + border so a width of 11 + 44x4 + 10x3 + 11 or 228mm wide (unless you have a 1 or I in which case 194) and 2 lines of height is 2 x 64 + 2 borders of 2x11 and a line gap of 13 giving 163

So min size for a 2 line plate with 7 characters is 228mm wide by 163mm high (about 9 x 6 1/2'')

Unless you have 1 or I where you might get away with 194mm x 163mm (7 2/3 x 6 1/2'')
Old 26-06-2014, 04:00 PM

Yup but Lois has a six digit reg and she likes small plates

More Brownie points coming Harry's way
Old 04-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

As a tester it makes it better for us if we can read the frame number when we log on no matter what age the bike is so we use the right pass / fail for things like indicators horn etc . When we log on it brings up date if first use etc it also keeps all the mot history in one vosa file . If we log on with no frame number on a bike it makes a new vosa record

From a punters view it's down to you to prove the age of the bike so if you turn up with out your v5 with a bike you say is say 1971 so you can have a bulb horn and black / white plates you have to prove its age . The easy way have ŷour v5 to hand

It just makes it so much better for every one
Old 04-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

3 line number plates are down to age of the bike
Old 11-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
actually the MOT has space for Odometer reading and history..not miles or kilometers..one of mine reads 30/12/2010 : 1308..20/02/2012 : 27858..14/02/1013 : 27963 ..10/02/14 : 29785..One of my other bikes has a speedo that displays speed in MPH and the odometer clocks up Kilometers..the MOT station said they only record the numbers, not what they represent.

John.
You missed the point there mate we write down the numbers & make a note of wether its in mph or km these records are kept

The point being WE know what it is being read in
Old 11-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGran View Post
Very true & ive mentioned this fault & others before

All down to the the different rules for MOT's & the road traffic act, dont shoot the messenger