100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Don't you just love all the silly comments from those folks that have never ridden or owned a Harley?

I have owned and ridden Harleys for more than 30 years now. Lost count of how many and also lost count of how many Jap bikes I have owned.

Only had trouble with an FLH Classic that I bought brand new during the days of AMF. I got arrested for beating the shit out of the sales guy. The amount of stupid faults was ridiculous and the after sales was a fucking joke.

The other Harley I had trouble with was an old Ironhead that had supposedly been re-built by a qualified Harley mechanic. Think his name was Stevie fucking Wonder. What a sack of shite that was. Every time I took it out something went wrong. In the end I stripped it to do a full rebuild and got offered more for it than I had paid. The bloke took it as it was, all in bits and did a rebuild himself.

To be honest, I think that once you buy a Harley, you have to make it yours. I think just about every one that I have owned, I have done the suspension, brakes, tyres and engine mods to suit me, make it look how I want it to look, sound how I want it t sound and perform how I want it to perform.

If you don't want to buy or cannot afford to buy all the chrome shit, then don't. I make most of the shiny stuff I want for mine. My FXDB is mostly black and that suits me for this particular bike.

As for handling and performance, I make the bike do what I want it to do and I am now too old and too physically wrecked to go as fast as I did when I first started riding legally. My current bike does 120 no problem, even with forwards I still scrape my boots easily.

Harleys are what you make them. There is no one size fits all, the bullshit surrounding them is somewhat annoying at times. The weekend bad ass's are a fucking joke, but it is them that keep the HD aftermarket parts sales high.

You pays your money and takes your chances with any bike. With a Harley you pay a bit more. That's my choice.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Thanks Chopper you put that just right.

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Thanks Chopper you put that just right.
That is the biggest problem in my mind is the initial cost....

It doesn't matter what type of bike you ride if it is crap to start with (like the AMC built Harley) or have been owned/worked on by a half-blind drunken fuckwit then it will give problems. I can't see a problem with owning an H-D and never really wanted one, although I am getting like ChopperFXR (old and knackered) I might have considered one if it was cheap enough, especially as my Lady can't ride my old Hardtail BSA.....

I do like the sound of a LOUD V-twin whatever the brand.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Lets be honest, most V-twins copy the Harley format and some of them do it really well, and while they all look confusingly alike there are vast differences..sound, reliability, speed, comfort, and a particular look..but then the line starts to blur a little, V-fours go for the look but are a lot faster so heading to the other end of the spectrum, Racing bikes..My R1 is nothing like my Shadows or my Drifter and in between are all the variations you could wish for..Most of us have a particular favourite that we argue is the best bike ever made, but when it comes down to it, we are fairly happy just to be riding what we have..I would not try to win any races on my Drifter and my R1 has a top speed of 185mph but with a national speed limit of 60mph and 70mph on parts of our motorways, what is the point of having a racing bike that you don't race..

As for the Harley's, lots of folks complain about reliability, but I have had to put a spanner on every single bike I have ever owned in the last 53 years and not one of them has been a Harley.

John.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Chatter Box

The Jedi has spoken
Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Chat Pimp

well this doesn't apply to Harley's in particular but to vehicles in general.
I work in a motorfactor and we think a lot of the faults peeps complain about are through lack of maintainance in the first place,not using the right oils service interval etc and not really the car's fault at all