Old 18-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Default Private cars cannot be sold without road tax

Anyone seen this ??? I'll assume it means bikes as well

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/p...ber-2014_60347
Old 18-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Chat Slut

Read about this in another bike forum, interesting point is:
Buyer buys a brand new road tax, seller reclaims unused tax, however, you can only reclaim whole months that are unused, not the part of the month you are in, so for that part of month that vehicle is sold in the vehicle tax is paid twice. Estimated windfall for the treasury? In the millions per annum!
Old 18-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Calum, you and I have hit the same nail on the head. That was my first thought too.
Old 18-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Another problem is - buyer phones insurance company and gets insurance set up - but this won't go on the MIB database for 24 hours and sometimes longer - so how's he going to tax it to drive/ride it home?
Old 18-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

The seller has to Sorn it when he cashes in the tax ...... can he do that on line???

If I turn up say on a Sunday to buy a car/bike, yeah I'll buy it but cant tax it, "ok" says the Seller, the buyer makes arrangements to come back later that week, the seller cancels the tax and the buyer doesn't show.

Even if he does some people actually have to work for a living, which limits the time they can actually pick up the bike/car.

Theres a huge list of problems that the stupid government haven't thought of

Its absolutely ridiculous
Old 18-01-2014, 10:12 PM

Another problem is that if the car is on the road you can't SORN it and the fuzz can then tow it away until you get it taxed, at your cost of course.

Why can't they give access to the public to limited info on road tax ie. how long said vehicle is taxed for, could even make a small charge and save a lot of hassle.
Old 18-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calum100 View Post
Read about this in another bike forum, interesting point is:
Buyer buys a brand new road tax, seller reclaims unused tax, however, you can only reclaim whole months that are unused, not the part of the month you are in, so for that part of month that vehicle is sold in the vehicle tax is paid twice. Estimated windfall for the treasury? In the millions per annum!
That has always been the case.

I sell a bike mid month, say the 15th and get a refund for the next 6 months the tax runs, no refund for the existing 2 weeks, buyer taxes it from the beginning of the month he buys it.

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 18-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

The government has thought of all these things, but what we see as common sense they see as an obstacle to issuing more fines..

Our whole economy is supported by clawing as much money from the population as is possible, taxes, administration charges, fines, licenses, there is no more industry and for years the government has sold everything it can get it's hands on.

All I care about is a nice ride on one of my bikes in nice weather.

John.
Old 18-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
That has always been the case.

I sell a bike mid month, say the 15th and get a refund for the next 6 months the tax runs, no refund for the existing 2 weeks, buyer taxes it from the beginning of the month he buys it.
Aye, but currently you don't [I]have[I] to do it that way, the vast majority leave the tax disc on the vehicle.
Old 20-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Zactly, I've never sold a running vehicle without tax on it and have never claimed a refund. Can't say I know of anyone who does really. The amount of remaining tax is just reflected in the asking price.

This new law is either a well thought out way of screwing more cash out of tax payers, or more likely, another example of the powers that be, not having a fekking clue how life in the real world works

I guess the only plus point is, you'll not be able to sell a motor with 12 months tax and test to an unlicensed driver/rider as easily?
Old 21-01-2014, 12:24 AM

My recent experiences of being nicked by digital camera have convinced me that anything to do with vehicles, bikes and the Road Traffic Act is just one gigantic digital machine.

Once your details are fed into that machine, there is the sum total of fuck all you can do except pay up. The machine will spew out a fine, add costs including a "Victim Surcharge" (How many victims are there when you go 4mph above the speed limit, when you didn't even know that the limit had been changed?).

If you have the temerity to challenge the verdict of the machine, you can have your day in court, PROVIDED YOU CAN PAY FOR THE PRIVILAGE! However, the only thing that will change is the amount of the fine you have to pay. That can only change in one direction, UP. Nothing you can say will convince the self serving smug as fuck magistrates that you are the victim of circumstance.

The RFL is just an extension of that machine. It is now so refined that HMG can now calculate how much revenue will be gained by implementing yet another system that is designed to do one thing only, gather more punitive fines for failing to make sure that the civil serpents actually do the fucking job they are paid to do.

The added bonus, as far as HMG and of course the ever resourceful scumbag cops are concerned is that they can keep even better eyes on you. They can prove that at a certain time, on a certain date, you owned or were responsible for a certain vehicle. Having no tax is an invitation to the plod, to pull you over. Just to check the rest of your documentation you understand. Once you are at the side of the road, they will also search you and your vehicle.

This latest scheme is just more control of the masses, by an insignificant minority, that are under qualified to man a crossing patrol. Yet they have the massive resources of the PNC/DVLA database at their finger tips, just waiting to be abused in all manner of ways.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 21-01-2014, 03:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

You're not wrong!

Yet there are people looking at that vid of the biker being interrogated by 6 officers in Oz, when he hadn't done anything wrong, and saying "glad it doesn't happen in this country" - no, they're just a bit more subtle about it in this country!