100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
shaggy696969's Avatar
shaggy696969 shaggy696969 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,654
Default Spam

All over these forums...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 AM
kidhaf's Avatar
kidhaf kidhaf is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,141
Default

Not as bad as some forums. Wee red triangle on right corner and one of the mods gets rid of the buggers.....as long as they dont start feckin wi the custard its ok....
__________________
The Geek

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
ChopperFXR's Avatar
ChopperFXR ChopperFXR is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somerset
Posts: 2,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhaf View Post
Not as bad as some forums. Wee red triangle on right corner and one of the mods gets rid of the buggers.....as long as they dont start feckin wi the custard its ok....
I would have thought you would be more worried about the deep fried Mars bars.

Fair play to our moderators, they don't get any thanks for what they do and generally the spam is cleared as soon as it is seen.

Chopper
__________________
MADE IN ENGLAND.
MY COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG.


WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

All gone now.

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM
shaggy696969's Avatar
shaggy696969 shaggy696969 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,654
Default

I know Ive been ridiculed before, but are they really that hard to spot and delete ?

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 PM
kidhaf's Avatar
kidhaf kidhaf is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
I know Ive been ridiculed before, but are they really that hard to spot and delete ?

Hmmmm ban that fecker Shaggy feckin spammer :-)
__________________
The Geek

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:29 AM
cxdemon's Avatar
cxdemon cxdemon is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Plymouth Devon next door to Kernow!
Posts: 2,228
Default

Some of us are busy doing other things than looking at forums bud, I get the emails for reported posts then if I have acspare few mins, ill look and delete and ban. But as its on a mobile phone it does take longer than when at home.
__________________
Now remember children...ghosties, ghoulies, vampires, werewolfs, monsters....they do not live under your bed.............................
they live in your wardrobe MWHAHAHAHAHAHA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
droid's Avatar
droid droid is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tamworth
Posts: 1,338
Default

Maybe you need more mods then.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
shaggy696969's Avatar
shaggy696969 shaggy696969 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
Maybe you need more mods then.
My thoughts exactly, some of the old mods have left or simply do not visit any more.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Although those currently active users are still listed you will notice that if you click on them they are banned.

That means that although they are still on the members list they can't post, the reason they are still listed is because if we dont have the user name as a banned member they can come back again.

Not only have we got rid of all the spammers to date, we have also cleaned any spam messages from forum members PM boxes and warned any suspicious new members with an 'are you male, female or poof' question that a bot could not answer.

I know it is annoying to see spammers but a short time ago I banned a genuine member because they posted once with links, so it's a fine line we walk.

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 AM
shaggy696969's Avatar
shaggy696969 shaggy696969 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Although those currently active users are still listed you will notice that if you click on them they are banned.

That means that although they are still on the members list they can't post, the reason they are still listed is because if we dont have the user name as a banned member they can come back again.

Not only have we got rid of all the spammers to date, we have also cleaned any spam messages from forum members PM boxes and warned any suspicious new members with an 'are you male, female or poof' question that a bot could not answer.

I know it is annoying to see spammers but a short time ago I banned a genuine member because they posted once with links, so it's a fine line we walk.

John.
Best get to work then...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 PM
harry's Avatar
harry harry is offline
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Taunton
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post

Fair play to our moderators, they don't get any thanks for what they do and generally the spam is cleared as soon as it is seen.

Chopper
I agree this site is far better than most and I think our mods do a damn good job, and probably for free.
__________________
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Fenrir's Avatar
Fenrir Fenrir is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the edge of a breakdown
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I agree this site is far better than most and I think our mods do a damn good job, and probably for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post
I would have thought you would be more worried about the deep fried Mars bars.

Fair play to our moderators, they don't get any thanks for what they do and generally the spam is cleared as soon as it is seen.

Chopper
+1 This forum is far more free of spam than some others I know; some so bad its a case of spot-the-real-thread
__________________
wyrd bi ful ard
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM
The Beer Monsters's Avatar
The Beer Monsters The Beer Monsters is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I agree this site is far better than most and I think our mods do a damn good job, and probably for free.
Definitely for free.
__________________
And when I run out of drugs, I'm going to start using explosives (A J Stiles on The Register)

Last edited by John Hopkins; 09-11-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: clicked on the wrong button in error
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Except for Christmas time when we get a fat blank cheque.

Oh and double pay every weekend.

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 PM
harry's Avatar
harry harry is offline
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Taunton
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beer Monsters View Post
Definitely for free.
Not many things piss me off.

But what really boils my piss is people who criticise those who do work for nowt. When doing nowt themselves.
__________________
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM
100%Pat's Avatar
100%Pat 100%Pat is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hiding in the cupboard under the stairs
Posts: 4,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Not many things piss me off.

But what really boils my piss is people who criticise those who do work for nowt. When doing nowt themselves.
Oh well said that man...
__________________
Oh, I love my Rosie child
You got the way to make me happy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM
shaggy696969's Avatar
shaggy696969 shaggy696969 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7,654
Default

No criticism, other than the apparent lack of mod's The report button is the first thing I do seeing all spam posts. But the spammers have been having field day, and whilst it seems ungrateful, it was in the vane attempt at prompting the powers that be to sort it but. As mentioned mods have come and gone and John appears to be the only regular here, and it's too much for him alone. And whilst spammers are banned leaving their accounts open may make it impossible for them to sign in with their random user-names they simply make up others. I still feel the members are not simply deleted to keep forum numbers up for the advertising wallers.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 13-11-2013, 06:12 AM
harry's Avatar
harry harry is offline
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Taunton
Posts: 3,399
Default

I think the important thing here is the quality of the spam.

It's gibberish have you ever tried reading the rubbish these people write.

I blame the schools, and the parents. How many people read to their children at bed time? It's an essential part of exposing kids to classic literature such as the Rev Awdry's greatest works.
__________________
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13-11-2013, 08:27 AM
100%Pat's Avatar
100%Pat 100%Pat is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hiding in the cupboard under the stairs
Posts: 4,657
Default

Spare the rod... spoil the child... I say...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 13-11-2013, 11:51 AM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I think the important thing here is the quality of the spam.

It's gibberish have you ever tried reading the rubbish these people write.

I blame the schools, and the parents. How many people read to their children at bed time? It's an essential part of exposing kids to classic literature such as the Rev Awdry's greatest works.
I have to admit, I stopped reading to my children when they left home..Mind you, I still tell them a few stories..

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 13-11-2013, 11:56 AM
100%Pat's Avatar
100%Pat 100%Pat is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hiding in the cupboard under the stairs
Posts: 4,657
Default

stangely enough I am at present taking a TEFL course, maybe we should let them post then I could offer my teaching services online and make a fortune...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13-11-2013, 12:27 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

TEFL
Isn't that where you teach foreigners to say things like, "I'm going down the fuggin shop, do you want any fuggin fing, I can see if that fuggin bastad delivers"

Or..

"Sorry I don't spik Englis this not my car, What is insurance".

or..

Big issue..

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13-11-2013, 01:07 PM
100%Pat's Avatar
100%Pat 100%Pat is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hiding in the cupboard under the stairs
Posts: 4,657
Default

Oooooh so bitter and twisted....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13-11-2013, 01:19 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Not really, I have a friend from Portugal, the first sentence is the way she speaks.

Her children have Welsh valleys accents.

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 13-11-2013, 02:15 PM
kidhaf's Avatar
kidhaf kidhaf is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Not really, I have a friend from Portugal, the first sentence is the way she speaks.

Her children have Welsh valleys accents.

John.
She left Portugal for Wales .....an obvious candidate for care in the community.......

Or did she find out the McCanns were meant to be staying in Portugal and thought ahha get the kids to a place of safety .....
__________________
The Geek

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 13-11-2013, 03:21 PM
100%Pat's Avatar
100%Pat 100%Pat is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hiding in the cupboard under the stairs
Posts: 4,657
Default

to be honest in all the time Ive been here, Ive hardly ever heard anyone swear... the odd teenager now and then but rarely...
Dont plan on teaching here anyway... mainly for our summers in France..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13-11-2013, 04:03 PM
The Beer Monsters's Avatar
The Beer Monsters The Beer Monsters is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
No criticism, other than the apparent lack of mod's The report button is the first thing I do seeing all spam posts. But the spammers have been having field day, and whilst it seems ungrateful, it was in the vane attempt at prompting the powers that be to sort it but. As mentioned mods have come and gone and John appears to be the only regular here, and it's too much for him alone. And whilst spammers are banned leaving their accounts open may make it impossible for them to sign in with their random user-names they simply make up others. I still feel the members are not simply deleted to keep forum numbers up for the advertising wallers.
No, the members are not deleted for a number of IT reasons. And I'm here every day, just at silly hours. At the moment I'm collating a list of all the IP addresses used by the spammers, so my side of the fight isn't necessarily public.
__________________
And when I run out of drugs, I'm going to start using explosives (A J Stiles on The Register)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 13-11-2013, 04:04 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Pat View Post
to be honest in all the time Ive been here, Ive hardly ever heard anyone swear... the odd teenager now and then but rarely...
Dont plan on teaching here anyway... mainly for our summers in France..
She doesn't swear in in her own language, but she picked up most of her English from TV and other foreigners..

Luckily I speak fluent foreign.

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 13-11-2013, 07:07 PM
kidhaf's Avatar
kidhaf kidhaf is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post

Luckily I speak fluent foreign.

John.
We know ...sometimes its a right pain in the arse trying to figure ye oot
__________________
The Geek

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.