100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default Being Green

Being Green

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained,
"We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."
The young cashier responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soft drink bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled.
But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Grocery shops bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household rubbish bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.
But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go out.
But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.
Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 230 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.
But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of a window. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
But we didn't have the green thing back then.
Back then, people took the train or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
But some snotty loudmouthed young bastard who can't even count my change without the use of a computerised till will do it for me every time.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 02-10-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Chat Pimp

Default The inbetweeners

are to blame then.

I can't remember the last time I saw a driniking fountain, just "water coolers" with plastic cups (unless you use your own cup); but it wasn't me who got rid of them all.
I use a tumble dryer because I don't have the time either side of being at work to get the washing thru and ironed. I'm not around during the day to risk the weather for line-drying. And neither (importantly) does the Mrs.
My generation didn't uproot all the rail lines and cull the bus service; these things are not options for me to get from home to work, or indeed anywhere else really around here (just the long-commuter to the Big Smoke).
There is nowhere to return a glass bottle to for reuse; and I'm not convinced the bottle bank don't just end up in the landfill neither.
I climb stairs sometimes, but I used to work on the 23rd floor. Stairs weren't an option.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

It wasn't a personal attack, it was juat an email a Canadian sent me, it was probably thought up by an American, I changed the language to English and posted it because I thought it was slightly amusing.

Although polititians could probably learn something from it as the minimum price for plastic carrier bags in England is about to be 5p each.

John.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Chat Pimp

Default It is a decent read

and highlights some of the taken-for-granted aspects of contemporary life. Though as a newbie father, I've seen what horrors of nappy rash can occur when you're stuck in traffic in Wiltshire and shudder to think what terry towling nappies would've done in the same time frame.

Had a similar debate elsewhere on the net with someone who posted a much cut'n'paste joke about modern society and all its allergies and health and safety legislation. I'm sure most people have seen some incarnation or other of it. Stuff about there was no need to label products as containing peanuts, becuase you never heard about peanut allergies. Thing with that was the whole concept of the joke was based around "and we all survived" except of course, thousands didn't hence the discovery of peanut allergies and so on.

Neverthless, I'm all serious today and need to lighten the fuck up.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Some ones been looking back through rose tinted memory glasses... O_o
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

used real nappies on all 3 of ours (youngest is 7 now) modern reusable nappies are nothing like how they used to be. Motherease nappy with poppers with a muslin square folded in it and paper liner is almost as easy to put on as a disposable. any crap gets flushed down the loo on the paper liner (which is listed as flushable) rather than tied up and put in a black bin liner for up to 2 weeks when it is collected by dustbin men and buried in the ground as it does with disposables.

Forget bleach you now throw the muslin and nappy in a bucket of water with a few drops of tea tree oil and when it is a full bucket run a 60degree wash in the washing machine. The plastic cover just gets rinsed.

I reckon apart form the paper liners (500 for £7) we spent about £300 all in to do all 3 children and only used disposables when on long journeys or when out for the day. Now do the sums on how much you spend on disposables over a childs life, that was the reason for us going washable also now you can actually get free starter packs/rebates from a lot of councils.

Also they don't have the smell of disposables caused by the gels and things in them. Only nappy rash they ever got was during teething when all kids get it.

We were lucky in finding a child minder who was ok with then (sceptic to start with now tells others about how easy they were) but if we can do it with both of working anyone can
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
used real nappies on all 3 of ours (youngest is 7 now) modern reusable nappies are nothing like how they used to be. Motherease nappy with poppers with a muslin square folded in it and paper liner is almost as easy to put on as a disposable. any crap gets flushed down the loo on the paper liner (which is listed as flushable) rather than tied up and put in a black bin liner for up to 2 weeks when it is collected by dustbin men and buried in the ground as it does with disposables.
We did this as well, and for years after still had the nappies for lots of other uses..

But what silly bugger started a thread about nappies and carrier bags on a big bad bikers forum..Whoever it was should be banned and have his bike confiscated..

John.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Being Green

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

Fuck off she replied.
There you go..fixed it.

John.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Administrator

It's not that easy being green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

I wish I could remember all these anecdotes for when the till tart gets snotty with me, but I find Alzheimers a real bas.....eh? What were we talking about?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:28 AM

I rarely go shopping, I have a woman to do that for me. However, if I did go shopping and some loudmouth till tart started spouting about being green, I would wait until she had put everything through the till and then tell her I had forgotten my wallet. See ya!!

I really like the idea of recycling stuff and do so whenever possible. I am installing solar power at my new place and rainwater harvesting. (Massive reduction in bills). The bit that makes my shit itch, is all these fucking "Green taxes". Where does all that money go? Straight to the government I bet.

Don't think I have ever seen anything that is actually paid for out of green taxes, that is of any benefit to anybody or the planet.

Another thing. If too many people on the planet are producing too much waste, carbon dioxide etc. The answer is not to find ways of getting rid of the waste, just get rid of the excess people. I guess that might be too simple a solution for the politicians and no money in it.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post
Don't think I have ever seen anything that is actually paid for out of green taxes, that is of any benefit to anybody or the planet.

Another thing. If too many people on the planet are producing too much waste, carbon dioxide etc. The answer is not to find ways of getting rid of the waste, just get rid of the excess people. I guess that might be too simple a solution for the politicians and no money in it.

Chopper
All those volcano's that went off over time must have caused more carbon dioxide than any factories ever did..It seems to me that green taxes might have been just a bit more believable if we still had some factories left, I can't remember when I last saw a factory chimney with smoke coming out of it, I can't even remember when I last saw a house with a smoking chimney..

Politicians aren't looking for a solution, they are looking for enough money to pay for their next pay rise..

It's all lies..they are not even square!

John.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
All those volcano's that went off over time must have caused more carbon dioxide than any factories ever did..It seems to me that green taxes might have been just a bit more believable if we still had some factories left, I can't remember when I last saw a factory chimney with smoke coming out of it, I can't even remember when I last saw a house with a smoking chimney..

Politicians aren't looking for a solution, they are looking for enough money to pay for their next pay rise..

It's all lies..they are not even square!

John.
Exactly my point John. The problem is that, as with road tax, we do not get to see the benefits of such a levy. Yet small business, transport, haulage, airlines are paying huge sums to the government.

We keep hearing that the earth is getting warmer, climate change is causing the polar ice caps to melt, polar bears no longer have frozen bollocks and seal clubbing is much harder because the little bastards can swim away in the ever deeper oceans. Just not cricket old chap.

Questions must be asked in the house!! MPs get an annual shameful pay rise, yet we are still doing the bin men's jobs by sorting our refuse, before we carry it out to the dustcart for them.

Shocking state of affairs.

Chopper

Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

I say old bean..should we discuss this over a round of golf like the gentlemen we so obviously are..

I've got my own bat..

John.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I say old bean..should we discuss this over a round of golf like the gentlemen we so obviously are..

I've got my own bat..

John.
Perhaps not such a bright idea old chap. Way my luck is going right now, the 19th hole will be Hilda Ogdens arse.

Chopper

Old 11-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
All those volcano's that went off over time must have caused more carbon dioxide than any factories ever did...
I did an OU course in science a few year back and one of the modules was on global warming. It mentioned volcanoes and apparently when Mount Pinatubo erupted in 1991, it threw out more greenhouse gases in one day than all of the cars and factories in the world running flat out for a year could produce. It erupted for three days!

It's just another way of getting more tax out of us.
Old 13-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Chat Pimp

Default I think

global warming is happening. I think we contribute to it. I think there are many other contributors too. I think it will result in massive changes to the things that survive and to those that are killed off.

Just like every other phase of history for this planet then. I haven't yet found a scientist who can really answer the "so what?" question. Temperatures will rise, weather will be more extreme. Some species will die (perhaps including us). Others will take their place. Ain't that evolution?
Old 13-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Some species will die (perhaps including us). Others will take their place. Ain't that evolution?
No, that's extinction. Evolution is a model of engine found in H**leys.
Old 13-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I was working for the UN when Mount Pinutubu blew up and they had a bunch of scientists/climatologists watching the eruption because it was 'dirty' and they were worried about widespread damage.
So much sulphur went into the atmosphere that the hole in the ozone layer over the antartic grew by 4%. This was all the evidence the doom merchants needed and they waved this fact as proof positive that the hole was getting bigger and the sky was going to fall on our heads. They used this as evidence to ban refrigerants R12, R22 and R502*
What they never really revealed was that within 3 years the hole in the ozone layer had retuned to exactly the same size as before the eruption.
"There is a mechanism in operation that we don't understand, it is as though the hole WANTS to be that size" said one ologist in the 'in house' UN magazine.
I bet that never went public.

*America, who is not as knee jerk as the EU decided not to ban R22. It is not a CFC, but an HCFC. The EU have finally come across the 'replacement' for R22 after years of fucking about with R407C, they have banned R22 and any new equipment will have to use R410A. If any R22 plant loses it's charge, the equipment has to be scrapped and replaced at vast expense. The Ozone Depletion Potential and Global Warming Potential of R410A (an HCFC) is so close to the ODP and GWP of R22 that America aren't banning it but we have. As an aside, the new EU approved car airconditioner refrigerant is going to be a beauty. It is highly inflammable and corrosive.
Old 13-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

When I was at school the "expert" opinion was that we were heading into an ice age.

Now the concensus is for the opposite to happen.

It all reminds me of those health warnings where each one contradicts the last.
Old 18-10-2013, 05:59 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

PROPER Research has shown, that we are actually approaching the end of the last ice age. Not something that has happened since human occupation. And at the end of it, the earth will tilt slightly on it's axis (again). Causing an overall cooling effect which will effect all species individually in different ways. The next few thousand years will see the planet cool by a few more degrees and head into it,s next ice age.

It's called life cycle. This planet has been repeating this cycle for millions of years, however, these inept bastards in power cannot cower you into submission with the simple truth, it will not allow them to broaden their ineptitude or profligacy.

They used to use religion to quell the masses, but the average intelligent person isn't cowed by imaginary friends any more.

Final note, since global industrialisation. CO2 levels on the planet have risen by....... 0.02%. The scientists (not being sponsored by the government) call this... insignificant.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
global warming is happening. I think we contribute to it. I think there are many other contributors too. I think it will result in massive changes to the things that survive and to those that are killed off.

Just like every other phase of history for this planet then. I haven't yet found a scientist who can really answer the "so what?" question. Temperatures will rise, weather will be more extreme. Some species will die (perhaps including us). Others will take their place. Ain't that evolution?
Globl warming is full of bull shit!

Scientists say so!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Globl warming is full of bull shit!

Scientists say so!
That's true.

You can google 'ten facts and ten myths on climate change'

at the bottom it lists the author's qualifications.

John.