Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
Agree with Rob - think this 'un needs a blow job or a hobbie
you offering, joe?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

You don't even need to go to the library for the highway code - it is all online and up to date at https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highway-code

I would agree though that more notice needed to be given for changes, I challenge anyone to be able to find an instructor who can teach you how to pass the trike test and as we all know that is actually what you use an instructor for to unteach us our bad habits and show us how to pass the trst. If it only just exists then no instructors will know what they are after and I bet some bits are car test like and some bike test like, i.e the trike test will have a multi-point turn not a turn around in the road like the car test but you will have to be followed by the tester in another vehicle like a bike test.

several years ago a mate was trying to get on the road on a trike (he was 16 with no other licences and weak limbs), he even bought one (GT550 based). However at the time burocracy would not let him take a test on a modified trike he tried NABD and every official channel he could find but in the end the only way he could do it was to take a test in a modified car and then try and get allowed on a trike, then they stitched him by awarding him an auto only licence due to weak legs and refusing to count a cliktronic as automatic (which it isn't but for his purposes it did the same job in freeing up his legs) so he had to sell the trike and drives a modified auto car.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Creature

interesting read below !

All facts

I would suggest that as you are regestered disabled the cheepest way is to book your test now! so that its before the 19th of jan 2013.

Otherwise as stated below you will have to take other parts of the test that will cost you more.

so choice is yours - its all explained clearly below

As of January 19th 2013 the new ‘staged’ licensing system comes into affect.
(I will do a more involved report on how it affects motorcycle tests later).

How will it affect trikes?

As of January 19th 2013 Trikes will become part of the Motorcycle licence category. (Currently they come within the Car Category).

For people with existing full car licenses prior to January 19th 2013, nothing changes. (New licensing rules cannot be backdated).

After January 19th 2013 only people with disabilities will be permitted to take a test on a trike.
(This dispensation is greatly due to consultations between the NABD and the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) including the submission of a very detailed report by the NABD Chairman relating to the use of trikes and sidecar outfits by disabled people).

For disabled people wishing to take a test on a trike after January 19th 3013 they will have to take a CBT (slightly amended to suit trikes). They will also have to do the motorcycle theory test and the practical tests (Mod 1 test is also slightly adapted to suit trikes; i.e. less cones and no avoidance manoeuvre etc.)

A disabled person taking a test on a trike will qualify for a licence restricted to trikes. It will not qualify them to ride solo motorcycles or drive cars.

Able-bodied people who don’t hold a full car licence prior to January 19th 2013 will have to pass a motorcycle test, on a motorcycle, before they can ride a trike. (Those who already hold a motorcycle licence will by default be able to ride trikes).

Able-bodied people who are currently riding trikes on L-Plates must successfully pass a test before January 19th 2013.
After that date they can only ride a trike if they successfully pass a motorcycle test on a motorcycle first.

As far as I and the DSA are aware there is no change to the dispensation that allows disabled people to use a motorcycle and sidecar combination to take a motorcycle test, though this would also result in a licence restricted to motorcycles fitted with sidecars.
(I should have full confirmation of this point from Europe sometime tomorrow).

Rick Rick Hulse
NABD Chairman
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
you offering, joe?
how very dare you, I take pride in my nutrition and get enough salt and zinc in my diet without having to resort to this sort of extreme supllementation thank you very much
Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
It's easy to pass your test if you ride Caerphilly
That's Terry Bull..

John.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Chatter Box

Send a message via MSN to trikist
Cool

You need to apply for a provisional motorcycle (Category A) licence. Then
you have to do a CBT course on your trike at a motorcycle training school.
You then have a maximum of two years to take your motorcycle theory test and
your practical trike test.

Kind regards

Rick Hulse
NABD Chairman
e-mail - chairman@thenabd.org.uk
Web site www.nabd.org.uk
Tel: 0844 415 4849
----- Original Message -----
To: "NABD Chairman" <chairman@thenabd.org.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:05 PM

LIVE LONG AND TRIKE
Old 13-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

It would apear that the DVLA are not so sure on this, and they are curently discussing it at board level, they have been asked directly by the member of another forum if he posts a definative answer from them I'll copy it over.
Old 19-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikist View Post
if you can do a motorcysle test,(if your lucky not to be disabled) then thats wat i would have done..............
But up to now there was no such thing as a tricycle test. (great)
So if u can ride a trike without splashing money out on a test that didnt even exsist, then whats wrong with that???

The other night i was nearly hit off my trike by a so called licence holder,
who was totaloly at fault....So what so clever about having a licence,,,,,,,, they seem to give it to anyone............. prooves nothing..........

Sounds to me like you might be a bit jealous and bitter......................at least u got the health to do it your way,,,,,,,,,, the way you want ...
Some of us havent got a choice. Yes i agree there might be some arrogant people out there, but they are only like that because of circumstance...

NECESSITY DICTATES NEED................
Sorry to tell you mate but there is and has been for at least the last few years a cat B1 trike test for the disabled.
Old 19-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Chatter Box

Send a message via MSN to trikist

new one on me, no one ever said, not even nabd.
dvla nothing. but I had B1 category on my licence but never anything about a trike test??

LIVE LONG AND TRIKE

Last edited by trikist; 19-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 19-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikist View Post
new one on me, no one ever said, not even nabd.
dvla nothing. but I had B1 category on my licence but never anything about a trike test??
That's where i heard about it, over on the NABD forums when Dik passed his back in 2009 i think.

The thread was about people who had only auto car licences and wanted to ride manual trikes, i think he had to search for a test center that catered for it though.

Last edited by cyclops12; 19-12-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 19-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

And hence you've been riding on 'L' plates.

Loophole.

Closed.

Booked your test yet?
Old 22-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Bit of a "how long's a bit of string" type of question. depends what he wants it for, what he likes, where you live, how much you can afford, whether it is for long term or he will get bored and want a car etc etc.

Personally I was helped to get a 15 year old honda cg125 when i was 17 it was scruffy but ran and i had to get it through it's MOT which taught me where all the standard maintenance places were - it was only good for 60/65 mph so gave me a chance to learn some road craft without killing myself and when I did drop it it was not new so didn't cost the earth to repair (about £10 for a new throttle mechanism if I remember right).

Rather than laying out loads of cash and presenting him with something on his birthday - i suggest giving him an IOU for a bike and say you are happy for him to get one, will help but want it to be the one he wants and is right for what he is going to do. Then find a local biker and ask him the best local independent dealership and go and visit them, they will also know the decent local training school and be able to help with all sorts of things
Old 25-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Chatter Box

Location: Berkshire boy at heart, now living in sunny Northants

First bike at 17?

HE WILL WANT.....an Aprillia RS125 in racing colours with an aftermarket exhaust, big bore, and larger carb..... It'll go bang/get stolen/Attract police attention etc etc

WHAT YOU SHOULD GET HIM.... A Honda CG125, cheap reliable, less likely to get stolen, and when he does drop it you wont have to take a mortgage out to repair it

Making bad taste look good!