100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Chatter Box

Default relay cx500

hi all. having recently purchased a cx500 relay for said bike, i keep blowing the main 20a fuse when i try to fit it. the wires from the bike are grey, green , and black. the relay terminals are marked , x, p and l. have got the handbook but like i said 2 fuses blown at present so am reluctant to try again in case i damage the relay. one , the black wire, shows 12v when you operate the switch form the bars, any ideas would be wellcome. cheers, mick.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to odie

R.t.f.m .........
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
hi all. having recently purchased a cx500 relay for said bike, i keep blowing the main 20a fuse when i try to fit it. the wires from the bike are grey, green , and black. the relay terminals are marked , x, p and l. have got the handbook but like i said 2 fuses blown at present so am reluctant to try again in case i damage the relay. one , the black wire, shows 12v when you operate the switch form the bars, any ideas would be wellcome. cheers, mick.
If you aint got the manual, then it will be hard to explain, the X, P, 1 mean nothing to me, but a relay is only there to take the load off the switch,..... basically if you break the old relay apart you will see the copper winding, one tail of this winding will go to earth, the other end should go to the Black 12v switch feed, ........leave the other two off for now and turn the switch on and the relay should click,, if it does then connect up the other two wires any way round as these two contacts only create a short across them, turning on whatever is connected to it, if the fuse then bows you have a short in the wiring or the item this relay is feeding is short circuit

Alfie

Last edited by ALFIEBEARD; 04-02-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Chatter Box

Default nice one.

cheers alfie. from a few and learned ears the opinion is that the x is live. from that the rest should be a walk in the park. googled it and most of them (cx) have a 2 pin relay. anyhow, going to try it thursday, last thing i want to do is ruin something. electrickery not being my chosen subject, as you may have gathered..... many thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Chat Pimp

black is switched live on cx as already said
Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Chatter Box

thank you. trying to fit new wiring to an old bike i thought would be easy. cheers, mick.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Chat Pimp

i spent yesterday dealing with dodgy wiring on my newly aquired cx.
i had an issue with my front indicators not working properly, the side light flashed alternatley to the indicator. turned out that the wires were the wrong way round,

but it blew main fuse twice while i was fiddling, turned out it was the brake light switch on the front lever. the live feed was touching the handle bars and causing it to blow.

i have the haynes book here if you wanna send me some more info i will see if i can trace the wires for you.

oh and heres the bike..

Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

If it only has four pins the answer should be easy..the coil is the bit you connect to the switched live and earth..the other two are the switch which connect to the battery live and thing you want to switch on..

with a multimeter set to resistance or ohms or upside down horseshoe connect the meter wires to any two of the pins..you need about 300 ohms for the coil..the other two should be open circuit...if you connect the coil across a PP3 battery the other two wires should change to short circuit.

John.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Chatter Box

Default all done.

all done guys, live wire going to ground when i threw the switch. it just depended which way the bars were turned wheather it blew a fuse or not.
job done , thanks for help.