100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 29-10-2012, 09:19 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I have both an xjr1300 and a harley...........they are both good bikes with different uses.

XJR Ive had from new in 03, gets used rain hail or shine, and is great two up for rallies tent etc.

harley has grin factor and I enjoy it.

Actually I have two harleys and a Triumph as well.......the other harley and the triumph are in bits, so are not really so good, but are both well old, one being 60s the other early 70s
Old 30-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Chat Slut

Meh, my 30 year old Harley is still running fine.

And it's my only bike.

To be fair, I have had to do one or two small maintenance jobs
Old 30-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Chatter Box

Default xjr

as i spoke yesday there is a member with 215k on his xjr, obviously with running repairs and service. economy wise, if you boot it its not so good but 186miles before reserve poodling round france this year.
anyway, back to the point, like i said i dont know much about harleys, never even rode one. wot i do know is that i like a nice looking ride, and im afraid most harleys dont hit that spot for me. although do like the v.rod and some of the matt black cruisers, also the triumph storm looks good.
Old 30-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale rider View Post
depending on the size of a engine what is a high miler,say a 1200 sportster,a xjr 1300,is 19.000 to many,is there some sort of big service due at 20.000,ive been offerd one,the xjr has 17.000 on the clock,and the sportster 19.000

I wouldn't know I've never owned a bike with mileage that low.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

My experience with old BMWs (K series) is that they are more complex than equivalent age Japanese bike. But not necessarily difficult to work on, and parts are readily available.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Chat Slapper

Interesteing that an FOI request has revealed that the BMW's are given to the Met as a sponsorship deal

I like the older BM's
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Interesteing that an FOI request has revealed that the BMW's are given to the Met as a sponsorship deal

I like the older BM's
always wonderd why the government dont buy triumph and support british workers
Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Chatter Box

[QUOTE=wiskers;635018]Let's put it another way i would sooner buy a bike with 100,000 miles on it that has been looked after than one with 5,000 miles that hasn't been looked after and cleaning isn't what i mean by looked after
It's all about how well its been maintained not how often it's been polished[/

I agree. Ive had my NTV 650 since new. Its now 18 yrs old with about 138,000 on the clock. It gets serviced like clockwork and what needs replaced gets done. Never given me a moments bother. Have a mate that has a Yam fj that is similarly looked after. So good regular maintenance makes a difference.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

First off i want to appologise to anyone i mayhave fucked off or upset in anyway
As i have said elsewhere they have been fucking with my medication again no excuse but there you go

I like Harley's and have liked everyone i have ridden i would like one myself

But i feel the O,P, on asking the question about milage and then compairing two completly different bikes is going down the wrong path as i said before what do you want the bike for? decide that then ask for advice about what will do the job best.

A fella i used to know a few years ago had an old Guzzi Le Manns[i think factory cafe racer type thing] 1977 with over 200,000 he had it from new changed the oil every 1000 miles filter every 2000 did the tappets when they started to rattle and replaced things when they wore out as far as i know he never had to replace any engine parts other than plugs & points.

Things are looking up my Ann has said she will run me down to the pub and pick me up later as i can't ride or walk far at present

Sorry again take care all Dai
Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskers View Post
i would like one myself

I wouldn't ....... if I was given one, I'd sell it.

I don't like em, or any of the ones I've ridden ........

Oh wait I may have mentioned that once or twice before.

There ya go mentioned it iagain.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Chat Slapper

Default 149,000

149,000 and still going.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

And if either of you has a spare xjr1300 centre stand let me know mine is in the process of collapsing.

My XJR has about 40k on it, engine is absolutely fine but when the head gasket went getting the 2 little bolts on the front of the head undone was a nightmare (they get all the road crud on them and mine was always a 265 days a year bike form new as i know its original owner). The forks and cam cover suffer from road salt so if the bike you are looking at has those in good nick then it has likely been summer ridden only. They are a bit thirsty but mine with a scorpion 4 into 2 pipe is still as ecconomical as the gpz900r it replaced. Not good for putting a rack on (the support for the grabrail is a very thin bracket that also holds the rear light and will fail if you just strap a box to a sports rack and load it up.

oh also depends on age of the xjr pre 2008 carb models are better than the newer FI ones

Last edited by wurzel; 05-11-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 14-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

i bought my 650 katana cheap from the chair of the katana club after he pensioned it off from its dispatch riding duties. it was smoking and using oil, so he got rid, mileage, 275,000!! i stripped the top end, cams head pistons and bores are all ok, the only fault is severely worn valve guides, so its getting a head transplant and then it will be back on the road.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 14-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
And if either of you has a spare xjr1300 centre stand let me know mine is in the process of collapsing.

My XJR has about 40k on it, engine is absolutely fine but when the head gasket went getting the 2 little bolts on the front of the head undone was a nightmare (they get all the road crud on them and mine was always a 265 days a year bike form new as i know its original owner). The forks and cam cover suffer from road salt so if the bike you are looking at has those in good nick then it has likely been summer ridden only. They are a bit thirsty but mine with a scorpion 4 into 2 pipe is still as ecconomical as the gpz900r it replaced. Not good for putting a rack on (the support for the grabrail is a very thin bracket that also holds the rear light and will fail if you just strap a box to a sports rack and load it up.

oh also depends on age of the xjr pre 2008 carb models are better than the newer FI ones
why you say pre 2008 are better,is there a diffurence in handleing dont like the new ones anyway,single can wonki pipe to get 4 into one,had messed up the clean lines anyway.i was looking to get a 2005,what sort of m.p.g am i looking at any clue.its a important factor these days with fuel costing more in weight than gold.(dont try working it out i jest i think)