100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 20-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Need to Get out More!

Default CB650 Build diary

I don't know how many people saw my post showing the bargain hardtail frame I picked up for 70 but I started collecting parts the other day by finding a guy breaking a CB650 Nighthawk. I had the front end and back wheel plus discs/calipers, rear drum, sprocket carrier/cush drive and a few other bits and bobs including nearly new Avon roadrunner tyres. I threw it all together to see how it looks. The parts came to 250 so total spend on the rolling chassis is 320 which aint too bad. I'm not sure about the comstar wheels but I reckon if I polish up the lips and do the centers in black without the polished detail the wont look to bad.
Attached Images

Old 20-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

looks nice mate
but
one of your linbins is lopsided
Old 20-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Need to Get out More!

lol hadnt noticed, now my ocd makes me want to go outside and sort it out but seen as its raining it can stay lopsided for now!
Old 21-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Looking nice, don't mind the 'reverse' comstars, lot nicer than the normal...IMO
Old 26-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Need to Get out More!

Got my 100 quid motor today. I got it off a mate who bought it from a guy who claimed it had had a lot of work done. The fresh gaskets and clean oil that leaked out seem to back this up but my mate hasnt had it apart to confirm this so Ill take it as true and leave it in one piece for now. Had a raid of his parts stash whilst I was there and picked up a few more bits.Theres still a mudguard and some other bits to come as they werent at his house.

cost - 140

Total spend - 460
Attached Images

Old 26-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Chat Pimp

Very nice, that frame is just right
Old 26-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Need to Get out More!

Yeah I'm well happy with it seen as I bought the frame based on a couple of pics on ebay.
Old 30-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Chatter Box

wow 70 quid and it came with the dymags bargain of the century ( i jest o course, i know theyre comstars, its fun winding people up with the dymags though and asking why they fitted comstars )

helluva bargain though, looks like its gonna be a good build
Old 30-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Need to Get out More!

nah 70 for just the frame, all the other stuff except the engine came from a bike breaker off ebay. still a bargain tho.
Old 30-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Chatter Box

more than a bargain .... i never find a good bargain. i thought buying a cheap frame from huc would be a good deal but it would have worked out cheaper to just have one made to my own specs, after all the modding im having to do to make it work for what i want.
Old 20-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbike-r View Post
more than a bargain .... i never find a good bargain. i thought buying a cheap frame from huc would be a good deal but it would have worked out cheaper to just have one made to my own specs, after all the modding im having to do to make it work for what i want.
Yeah Im lucky i know a guy whos willing to help weld in the motor mounts etc or else Id be in the same boat.
Old 20-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Need to Get out More!

Bit of an update, started working on the bars tonight.

The CB650 nighthawk had a wierd set-up where it had two seperate handle bars which went into vertical clamps on the yokes. I wanted normal style bars (because I already have a set and originals seem to go for bout 50 a pair which is too expensive).

I found a cheap set of risers from an indian royal enfield parts supplier (12 delivered!) but to be honest i wish Id got some decent billet jobbies cos close up these are shite and the casting isnt the best. Never mind lesson learnt, anyway I made up some slugs to go in the yokes and threaded them to accept the risers only to find the bars were too narrow and the risers sat on the bends of the bars.

out came the hacksaw and Im going to have to make a little piece to go in the middle sometime.
Attached Images

Old 21-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Creature

why not just change the top yoke to one from teh 550/4 SOHC bikes ? same fork size center bolt size and teh usually polish up well
Old 21-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature View Post
why not just change the top yoke to one from teh 550/4 SOHC bikes ? same fork size center bolt size and teh usually polish up well
I looked into it but I wasnt sure as I couldnt find the right info. If it had been any other cb650 front end it would def work but the nighthawk was the only model with 37mm stantions as opposed to the 35mm fitted to all other models.

cheers

pete
Old 21-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Need to Get out More!

Angry

Ever had one of them days where you wonder why you bother? Today is one of those days. Started by making the joining piece for the bars which was easy enough and then I decided to get clever and make an internal clutch and throttle set up.

Started with the clutch side and did loads and loads of sums and calculations and checked and double checked it all worked out. Thought that as the clutch will be too heavy to operate direct from a twist grip I would run the twist grip to a lever down by the gearbox to multiply the pulling force on the clutch arm. This meant I needed to pull 3 inched of cable at the grip to pull 1 inch at the clutch so made up the internals with a 3.5 inch slot to weld into the bar end and then made the grip part with a matching helixical slot (What a pain that was) and even fitted some brass bushes to keep it all running smooth.

What I didnt realise (and really should of done) was that because of the shallow angle of the helix (needed to keep the twist motion to approx 1/2 a turn) the two parts just lock solid as you twist them as the helix is pushing too much on the top of the bar and not the side to slide it along the slot.

So theres 6 hours of machining and a lot of materials wasted. I reckon the same idea would work for a throttle as there will be less cable pull needed so the angle of the helix will be steeper but I cant face any more time in front of that lathe so thats for another day!
Attached Images

Last edited by PeteHaddock; 21-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.