100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 21-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Need to Get out More!

when it came to the mudgurad mounts i made earlier, we had issues welding them in as in order to get the weld to stick to the thick lump of steel that made the mount, the amps had to be so high it just blew holes in the actual guard. in the end we just put some big ugly (but strong) tacks on the back of the guard and then to stop water getting in the gaps and rotting the guard i smothered the join with liquid metal which ill smooth out once its dry
Attached Images

Old 27-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Chat Slapper

Im liking this,it'll be fantastic when its finished.
Old 28-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Need to Get out More!

made some struts for the mudguard, maybe not needed but knowing how these things vibrate i didnt want the guard to wobble too much and crack, pretty simple design which will be welded straight to the guard and attach at the pinch bolts for the plunger sliders. also knocked up a rough cowl for the taillight to see how the metal would react to being bent and beaten about, reckon my best bet would be to start with some old truck exhaust rather than try and bend flat sheet as theres a lot of complex curves involved in what looks a fairly simple piece.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Need to Get out More!

starting to think about mounting the tank so mocked the engine up with some old barrels to see how i want the tank to sit in relation to the motor and once it was in i couldnt help hanging the pipes and carb on to see how it looks, reckon the pipes will stay like they are or maybe some little fishtail ends to finish them off, none of this silencer nonsense tho!
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Need to Get out More!

after seeing the price of a genuine original smiths speedo and then seeing the size of so called 'reproduction' smiths gauges, i realised my best bet was a little digital speedo which looks like a traditional analouge gauge. i used some mounts on the yoke to make an ally 'dash' which i mounted the speedo into and i reckon once its been shaped and polished properly it should look fairly unobtrusive
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Need to Get out More!

to mount the battery i found a nice little chrome case for royal enfields that would look good so ordered one and fitted it in place of the original lucas style rubber box. Because of the length of the mounting points, it stuck out the side of the bike like an ugly wart so choped and reshaped the mounts to get it tucked into the frame nicely. Because the cover can be locked, the plan is to hide a little toggle switch inside connected in parallel with the kill switch so i can permanently earth the magneto if i have to leave the bike, and stop any scrotes being able to kick it off and nick it.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Need to Get out More!

got all the bits i need to make the electrics box including a regulator specifically designed to run 12v off a 6v dynamo (something to do with stopping heat building up and breaking down the windings apparently) so got hold of a little box and fitted the regulator and 3 switches for engine kill, battery isolator and lights. It will tuck under the seat nicely and allow all the wiring to be hidden from view
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Need to Get out More!

I was scanning ebay the other day and found a sparto style taillight with a smashed lens and no rubber base so snuck in a last minute bid and won it for the grand total of 7 inc postage, got a new lens and rubber for another 6 and my old man already had a bulb so polished it up and offered it up to the bike, decided it looked better than my previous effort so its staying. Ive stuck on a pic of the bike as a whole off the bike lift to show the overall lines of the bike and i gotta say, i reckon it looks spot on
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Chatter Box

Thats looking bloody nice, if I wore one, I'd take my hat of to you, good stuff.
Dean.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Need to Get out More!

cheers mate
Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Looking good I would add a set of fork gaiters make the top of the forks look a bit more meaty...but thats a personal thing. Looking good all the same cannot ait till see the finished article

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 11-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Need to Get out More!

done some more work on the electrics, got the main electrics box wired up and mounted, with the help of my new soldering gun (a bargain 10 from lidl!!), also sorted out the various looms and got the cables organised into groups so they can go where they need to in nice neat bunches. I decided that seen as the bike has only the bare minimum electrics wise, i would wire the various circuits in a 'rail' system with one main power feed entering the box and the various feeds branching off from there. for the electrical items which need a dedicated earth i have used the same idea but with the box itself forming the main circuit earth via the seat frame.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Need to Get out More!

Ive also thought up a solution as to how to neatly rubber mount the tank. Whilst hunting through the scrap box for something to make a little bracket for a different job i found a piece of thin walled steel box section which had had a M8 clinch nut fitted to it (for anyone who doesnt know, a clinchnut is basically a large rivet with a female thread so you can put threads in very thin material, very useful in certain situations!). Anyway inspiation struck and i came up with this. The idea is to wrap the top tube of the frame in dense foam (Ive got some race bike seat pad material which will be perfect) and basically wedge the tank in place. This little mount will be welded to the frame and will only be there to hold the tank in place and stop it slipping about on the foam. im going to weld two bolts on the underside of the tank and attach them to this bracket with a piece of flat bar. Any more knowledgable sorts out there who can tell me if this is a bad idea etc etc please pipe up now
Attached Images

Old 13-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Need to Get out More!

sorted out the steering stops tonight, only got one side done cos of time but im happy with the result as its always a bit nerve racking taking a hacksaw to expensive/hard to replace stuff! the obvious way to do this would be to weld some blocks onto the outside of the headtube but 1. they would have to sit right on the bearing races and the metal is quite thin so warping may be an issue and 2. the only frame mods so far are chopping off a sidecar mount and the unobtrusive tank mount so the frame will be 99% standard which will help it retain its value to the rivet counters.

because of this i chose to 'extend' the stops on the bottom yoke by fitting bolts which will bump against the mount for the original steering damper. this involved cutting up the stops to give a flat surface to drill into then tapping to M8 to fit some meaty button head bolts. whilst i had the hacksaw out i chopped off a random tab from the rear of the yoke. i may shape the rear a bit more but will probably leave it as it is as the asymetrical shape would make it hard to get it looking right.

oh and i know the bolt looks crooked and not central but thats deliberate to make the bolt head hit the frame in the right place not the downtube.
Attached Images

Old 14-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Liking that.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Need to Get out More!

chhers, shes gettin there........................slowly!
Old 14-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Chat Virgin

looking good
Old 14-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
looking good
cheers mate
Old 15-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Need to Get out More!

finished the steering stops and the old man welded the tank mount onto the frame as well as a couple of bolts onto the underside of the tank. not the best welding ever but its better than i could do and it will be hidden from view anyway. made a little bracket and thats the tank mounted. ill wrap the toptube in foam once the frame is painted.
Attached Images

Old 15-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

every credit. that is just bloody lovely!

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 16-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Need to Get out More!

cheers bud, with the exception of the wiring (which ill do last) im on the home straight now. stripped the front end down yesterday ready to send for polishing and theres a shiny new carb on its way from amal so once i've got the engine up and running i can strip everything back down ready for paint. mind you ill bet its now i find a million little jobs needing doing.
Old 20-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Need to Get out More!

Well its been 10 months since I updated this but to be honest not a lot has been done. Ive moved house, lost my job straight after, found another job and generally ben busy with the house but the bike is now moved from the old mans into my shed so that makes working on it easier (missus works evenings so Im at home with the kids) and Ive got a little more spare time now so I want it done for summer next year.

I've been doing all kinds of boring shit like wiring and polishing (lots and lots of polishing) so unless you want pictures of big black bogeys i didnt bother updaing the thread but heres an arty instagram shot taken on my swanky new phone.
Attached Images