100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 20-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Default DSA announce list of suitable bikes for new test

Just got this from Paddy Tyson at MAG - it is worth looking at the very short list of approved bikes - not least because i also noticed this small bit

"Category A2: A motorcycle without side car, of at least 395cc with a power output between 25 and 35 kW, (33bhp and 46.6 bhp). No upper engine size limit, but the power to weight ratio must not exceed 0.2kW/kg and it must not be derived from a motorcycle of more than double its power (i.e. less than 70 kW)."
So no restricting a bigger than 90bhp bike to do your test on then derestricitng it later

Anyway now to release from Paddy

The DSA have just released the bikes that they have approved as test suitable for the new licensing categories that come into force Jan 19th 2013.

Interestingly they state:

For machines not on this list or where an individual machine has been restricted to comply with the minimum
test vehicle requirements it will be accepted for test providing certified proof of compliance or restriction is
available for the examiner.

Unfortunately they haven't managed to include any bikes from those barely known manufacturers, HONDA and BMW, but as a way of proving how closely they keep their fingers on the pulse of motorcycling, you'll be delighted to know that a Brough Superior is an approved test vehicle ...

See the whole list here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_202135.pdf
Old 20-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Chatter Box

Send a message via AIM to Gregg1100
Default DSA announce list of suitable bikes for new test

Where did they dig that lot out from ?. What criteria did they use.??
And whoever included a Brough Superior,- must have heard the name mentioned in a pub quiz or kindergarten. Great bike then, but not for these roads now.
Worse still, who are the idiots who give these idiots the jobs in the first place??. Should be shafted with blunt end of a pineapple.
92 Kawa GT 550 G7 Shaft ( or me shafted)
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10
Old 22-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Chat Slapper

A fucking 1700 Vmax is a suitable test bike?!!
Old 22-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

I need that in plain english, I got slightly confused :/
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 22-06-2012, 11:13 AM

So as long as you have a cert to prove its ok, any bike will do?
------------------------
Old 22-06-2012, 11:32 AM

i think that it says - you need a certificate for them to read to decide if it meets the rules listed

pity this was the last thing i saw about certificates (they cost £80 and aren't worth the paper they are written on)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...icate-rip-off/
Old 23-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
i think that it says - you need a certificate for them to read to decide if it meets the rules listed

pity this was the last thing i saw about certificates (they cost £80 and aren't worth the paper they are written on)

I got mine free!
------------------------
Old 25-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post

And MCN always tell the truth

Give the insurance companies an excuse for not paying, and they'll use it
Old 26-06-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
And MCN always tell the truth

Give the insurance companies an excuse for not paying, and they'll use it
I have no doubt about that - I was just also thinking though - give an examiner a reason to not let you take your test (but keep the test fee) and they will take it - "I am sorry sir that is not a valid certificate of confirmity to power reestrictions so your vehicle can not be used for the test" - We will all be forced to use training company bikes like you have to pretty much use car instructors cars for your car test.
Old 16-07-2012, 04:18 PM

All change from the twats in Brussels - Just in from Paddy at MAG

Just when we thought we knew what was happening with the new Licensing Laws, it looks like more change is afoot.

At a meeting on Friday with the Dept for Transport (DfT), it transpires that the EU Commission has decided to further complicate the licensing laws which come in to effect on 19th January 2013.

There will be 4 categories of bike licence in January: AM (mopeds) A1 (up to 125cc) A2 (up to 47bhp/35kW) and A (everything else).

Under the third Driving Licence Directive (3DLD) however, the bikes learners could take their test on, were to be a little different. For example, although a cat A bike licence would be for anything over 47bhp, the bike for the test had to be at least 53.6bhp.

The A2 category was more complicated (engine size/ power to weight etc) and the DSA was having difficulty deciding exactly which bikes fitted the bill, whether they'd accept big bikes restricted down, which restricter kit would do etc.

You may remember my mailout some time ago about their definitive list of suitable machinery which hadn't included any bikes made my Honda or Suzuki. To their credit, the DSA are doing their best to update this list as and when the manufacturers let them have details about which suitable bikes are in their ranges, but now the EU Commission have thrown a new spanner in the works.

Even more new rules will come into effect at the end of 2013 if they get their way.

For Category A minimum test bike requirements increase engine power from 40kW (53.6 bhp) to 50 kW (approx 67 bhp). There will also be a minimum weight of 180 kg unladen mass weight. The DfT understand from the EU Commission that this means 'kerb weight'. The change means that the range of motorcycles available will reduce by an estimated 10% of vehicles listed by the DSA. In essence this means of course, that those training schools who have gone out and bought new machines for next year, having waited all that time fore the definitive list of what was suitable, may now have wasted their money.

The UK Government did not support this change at such a late stage and raised concerns about the impact this would have on the industry. However, they were in the minority seeking a longer period for implementation from the Commission, and they have not been able to secure any longer period than the end of 2013.

It is still possible the Commissionís plans will change as they are subject to EU Council and European Parliament approval and MAG will be working with the DfT to try and raise awareness among MEPs when we have fully clarified exactly what stage of the legislative procedure we are at.

The changes to the rules will decrease the minimum kW output for A2 motorcycles from 25kW (approx 33.5 bhp) to 20 KW (approx 27bhp) which will increase the range of motorcycles available for this class, which is a good thing.