100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > New Member Introductions

Notices

Old 27-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Chat Virgin

Question newbie says hello and advice needed

just registered and have been looking on posts here for advice about putting a bench seat on swing arm rear end avoiding sva etc but can not find nowt on this subject. any help much welcomed thx
Old 28-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Greetins frum Naarfuck! I've no Idea matey, somebody on here may be able to help you though!
Old 28-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum..fill in the User CP up there on the left and someone near to you may give you some help..

John.
Old 28-06-2012, 10:48 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I'm not entierly sure but if you change number of seats you will need to inform dvla, they may want to inspect, then decide if sva needed.
May depend on if chasis mods are needed which would be definate sva. Be sure to make anything as if it needed to pass sva to avoid falling foul of consruction and use plus mot issues in any case.
Old 29-06-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGD777 View Post
just registered and have been looking on posts here for advice about putting a bench seat on swing arm rear end avoiding sva etc
hmmmm, this old chestnut.
the msva is just a glorified mot, nothing to worry about.

well, nothing compared with what you're suggesting....

a bolt-on trike rear end with a bench seat is potentially lethal. the standard bike frame was never designed to take the HUGE increase in loads you'll be trying to put thru it.

i have turned away literally dozens of customers who wanted just such a conversion. i refuse to do them on safety grounds.

yes, i know there are some bolt on conversions that have been on the road for years, but they're playing russian roulette. the only safe way to build a trike is with a new frame, specifically designed for the application.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Russian roulette

Thanks Bob, That is the sort of advice I was looking for, as the plans in ma head were thinking that there had to be a flaw somewhere cos I couldn't find any info on any sites, dvla manual or even ebay pics for sale. Do you work in the bike building business?, could you tell me if a swing arm suspension made with 2 inch tube mono-shocked to the top tube under the seat, is a more feasible idea as I dont want to build a frame from scratch as that would be all the hastle of sva etc as my nearest station to test would be up in Aberdeen I think. Once again I thank you for the advice thats why I registered, to chat to folk who have bin there n done that. Plus ye dinnae need tae throw yer dosh awa LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

This link to dvla inf26 should tell you what needs testing.
https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~...ets/inf26.ashx

Rob is right about swing arm conversions.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGD777 View Post
Thanks Bob, That is the sort of advice I was looking for, as the plans in ma head were thinking that there had to be a flaw somewhere cos I couldn't find any info on any sites, dvla manual or even ebay pics for sale. Do you work in the bike building business?, could you tell me if a swing arm suspension made with 2 inch tube mono-shocked to the top tube under the seat, is a more feasible idea as I dont want to build a frame from scratch as that would be all the hastle of sva etc as my nearest station to test would be up in Aberdeen I think. Once again I thank you for the advice thats why I registered, to chat to folk who have bin there n done that. Plus ye dinnae need tae throw yer dosh awa LOL
yes mate, http://www.exmoorcustoms.co.uk/ is me. the problem is the swingarm pivot area of the frame not being designed to have 2 wheels, 4 feet apart, twisting it.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Chat Virgin

Default thanks yet again

Cheer Bob for that link, it is one I seem to have missed, but probably the most important one. Makes the registering etc a hellava lot more simple. Yet again the forum has given me a light at the end of the tunnel as opposed to aiming in the dark. Greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Yet another question

What you are saying is absolutely right but I still prefer to go down the swing arm route, if you strengthen the area around the pivot points by using 1/4 inch plate etc would this be deemed to be altering the frame in the points system as in the link posted earlier by Rob?.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM

any structural modification to the main cradle of the frame and you're into MSVA territory, if you want to be 100% legal....
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Welding mucking great plates to a frame can make things worse as it moves all the flexing to one point on the tube which is just where you weakened it by welding.

This can increase fatigue and failure.

As for what DVLA consider a modified frame INF26 explains what should happen but you have to bear in mind that DVLA employ incompetant non technical idiots. These oiks are unlikely to know what the original bike or frame ever looked like, let alone be able to spot modifications.

The waters become even more muddy when you alow for repairs to a frame which are allowed.

Confused yet?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 AM

there are other options and still be bolt on, open you mind wider than the simple first idea...................im with the two felllows above on the swing arm thing.

Look round any big rally field, look at trike design and trike shop, bolt on yes, swing arm no.

This is bolt on, took a bit longer than a wide swing arm though.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Chat Virgin

Default 2 Seats on bolt on rear end

Another query, if you bolt on a hardtail with 2 seats like the one in yer pics, does that alter registration , tax or sva requirements by being 3 instead of 2 seater/ Sorry for all the stupid questions but when this started out I had it all worked out now its like they dont want anything apart from all this type approval stuff and another thing............blah.........blah......when i was young ...............blah blah...........in my days LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM

no so long as is all bolted on and the origional cradle isnt modified
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Oi loikes that! I do!