100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 21-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Default Pre 1960 vehicles to be excempt from MOT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326

"Owners of classic cars and motorbikes tend to be enthusiasts who maintain their vehicles well - they don't need to be told to look after them, they're out there in all weathers checking the condition of the engine, tyres and bodywork," he said.

"Owners of classic vehicles will still be legally required to ensure that they are safe and in a proper condition to be on the road but scrapping the MoT test for these vehicles will save motorists money."
Old 21-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

now watch the value of anything with a pre '60 V5 go thru the roof

certainly makes me think even harder about the car situation, been looking for something old to commute with, plan is to get something solid and reasonably clean, then fit modern engine etc, so no tax, but cheap running, this would be even better with no MOT
Old 21-05-2012, 12:53 PM

busa powered Ford Pop then
Old 21-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

I been looking at doing a morris minor, then fit a cheapy modernish engine, something from the vauxhall range maybe, or perhaps even a diesel
Old 21-05-2012, 01:50 PM

We looked at putting a diesel in a Morris Minor in the 80's - too much work for the Perkins engines we had - but they do drop straight into an early 3 series BMW, we also put them in a Mk2 Cortina, Vauxhall Beagle Van (HB van variant), Opal version of a cavalier and a mid engined CF Van (for better traction on the farm track).

You used to be able to pick them up for next to nothing so the story goes that in the early 70's before I moved to my stepdads farm him and some mates bought an MOT fail one purely to test the theory they couldn't be rolled - they then spent an entire day hacking around a field doing handbrake turns etc to try and roll it - only suceeded when it drifted sideways into an old telephone pole laying in long grass.

If you are going to get one check the inner wings as even 20 years ago they were like rocking horse shit to get hold of.
Old 21-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Creature

i actually disagree with this - as a shed fiddler - the mot has sometomes picked up on things that i have missed - once almost certainly saved me from a serious or fatal accident !
Old 21-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I have to admit I'm dubious about this. What's to stop unscrupulous people using this as a loophole to put dangerous vehicles on the road.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

ive never had a fail slip in my life. i never take a bike for an mot unless i absolutely know it is certain to pass. this will save me a few bob cos i wont need to mot the bsa's, but it makes no difference really, cos theyre always safe.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 21-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think anything pre 1960 is probably more unsafe than any other vehicle on the road, I remember driving the old Austin sevens and you had to roll the steering wheel 6" either way just to keep on the road..so this is certainly not about safety this is about saving money on testing old bangers..why not just scrap MOT's on all vehicles..

John.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Well the reason the EU wanted to bringin roadside roadworthiness checks for bikes is because a lot of Eu countries have no bike MOT's. So really it is a choice between those 2 options, personally I would rather have a yearly inspection than the chance of being stopped for 20mins on any journey as plod thought the bike looked iffy or they needed to get their figures up. You know it would be us with "ridden" bikes who got stopped the most and not the plastic fantastic crew.
Old 22-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
ou know it would be us with "ridden" bikes who got stopped the most and not the plastic fantastic crew.
I disagree "the plastic fantastic crew" as you call them are more likely to get stopped with the race cans and tiny number plates and stupid antics ............. btw I own a ZZR1400 and GS1000, so a foot in both camps
Old 22-05-2012, 02:32 PM

I meant whilst riding normally - I own an xjr1300 and a GPZ900r (although that is ill) and prior to that had a matt black GT550 that i was regularly stopped on (despite it being standard and with a road legal Motad) never been stopped on gpz or xjr.
Old 23-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Chatter Box

I reckon this is really bad news in the long term - can't help thinking there will be more pre-60's vehicles in a mot-failable ie un-roadworthy condition in a few years time so the powers that be will use it as an excuse to either restrict mileage or maybe even restrict use to travelling to & from government allowed shows. No mot, no road tax so you won't be paying anything to the government, theres no financial penalty for them if you aren't allowed on the road. I don't know how much revenue the classic spares/serving businesses generate for the exchequer, I'd guess they don't really care either?
Old 23-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Need to Get out More!

I wouldn't be too worried about bangers clogging up the highways as a result of the pre 60s exemptions....The way our transport taxings/fuel costs/are going, i reckon we, as motor cyclists, should be more worried about the amount of HORSE SHIT that will be on the roads ..cos thats where we are heading.. HI HO SILVER AWAY....
Old 24-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Chatted to my brother in law who used to be restoring an old 1930's alvis (he ran out of space and energy and flogged it) he reckons it will be done via the owners clubs - each club has a member who keeps lists etc that are used when deciding on age related plates/original reg's. He reckons that register will become the baseline for what can be MOT excempt - so basically if you aren't on the members club list as a bone fide pre 1960 vehicle then you won't get the exemption.