100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 21-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Chat Virgin

Default My 1st trike build

Hi & morning all.

The bike I started with a while ago.

& now my trike starts to look like a trike.

So wot do you lot think?

Cheers all.
Old 21-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Chat Pimp and lover of the Welsh

Do away with those shocks, weld up to under the seat instead, rid yourself of the swingarm pivot and weld straight to the frame and BINGO you've got yourself a hard tail trike that won't try and kill you one day like a swing arm conversion will. For the wee bit of hassle with the sva you'll double your money when it says trike on that logbook. Spring seat saves your ass and solid metal won't fall apart like a bunch of ball bearings. Good luck.
Old 21-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

oh dear......
Old 21-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Banned

Ok ....... not a good design, I'd echo whats being said above, ditch the shocks and rigid it, however if your keeping the shocks for registration purposes ie keeping ponts, then brace the shit out of it. It will snap I am trying to be helpful, I've been down this road myself, so I've bastardised your pic to show where IMHO weakness points are (Green) and the bracing to stiffen the design up, not just to the arm but to the mount point too. Oh and make sure you have a propper prop made, with slide movement to allow for the lengethening and shortening as the arm moves. and properly ballanced. Seen a few of these fucked up too.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 21-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 21-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

look at it from behind, its all one flat plain, what is there to help with resisting twist etc

what would help would be some triangulation up to the frame, oh thats called a hardtail

I hate to be down on peoples work, especially as Im not a builder or expert etc, but common sense and basic engineering means that its wrong

this is something that recently Ive become really passionate about, these swingarm converisons pop up all the time, simply because people see it as an easy route, oh I dont have to do the MSVA, they say, well whys that?? why are people trying to avoid it??

basically the current trend I keep seeing is to take a piece of shit bike, put a crap designed assembly on the back, sell it as a trike, wow, now its a piece of shit trike, but worth so much more money

I truely hate legislation and rules etc with regards to building stuff, but if I could make one change, then I would ban these bloody swingarm conversions
Old 21-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Chatter Box

Just asking out of curiosity but is there any comfort difference between a s/arm conversion and a hardtail? S/arm conversions seem pointless to me because the wheels have to go up and down together so assuming nothing twists, bends or flexes, won't hitting a bump on one side twist the whole plot same as a hardtail?
Old 21-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

Yes. But only on even bumps or moderate uneveness. But you also don't have the issues with having to fit anti roll bars as with IRS... Trike's are always compromises. It's just a case of trying to not make the fuckers dangerous.
Old 21-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Chat Pimp

i have no isues with my hardtailed cx trike a lot of my older mates look at it and wince but at 34 and my back is good i have no issues with the ride
Old 21-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Chat Virgin

Hi all,
the blokes who are helping me out have been building trikes for 15yrs plus, there was the option of going hard trail, but not wot I wanted, the shots shown are on the 1st tack/mock ups, now fully welded up, as for the enginnering then thats my trade, work in a fab & machine shop with a HNC enginnering, so am sure of wot has been done, also the help of my mates who have built a few trikes has been alot of help, all the comments have been taken on board & I understand wot is been said.
The trike will not need a MSVA as the back end can be unbolted & returned back to a bike if I want, but will need a logbook change of type, which has still to be done.
The trike is been built purely for my fun & enjoyment & not to be sold on to make money, can make easyier money doing bikes up.
Many thanks for all the comments & please do comment.

Cheers all.
Old 21-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Chat Pimp and lover of the Welsh

I've seen a hardtail snap due to stress which makes quiet a scare but when a swingarm goes you lose the rear end instead, i'll let you THE ENGINEER figure that out for yourself. And your friends who have been doing this for sixteen years, have they riden them for that long. Only then will they be quilified. Engineers my arse.
Old 21-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin chris View Post
I've seen a hardtail snap due to stress which makes quiet a scare but when a swingarm goes you lose the rear end instead, i'll let you THE ENGINEER figure that out for yourself. And your friends who have been doing this for sixteen years, have they riden them for that long. Only then will they be quilified. Engineers my arse.

Hi chris, yes the blokes have been riding trikes for that long with no problems from there builds, I was not trying to offened any one, time will time, & it may well bite me in the arse, thanks for the advice, it will be stored.

Cheers mate.
Old 21-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Good luck, good advice offered and duly ignored. I just hope that you don't take out some unsuspecting poor soul, when you wipe out on this soon to be death trap.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 21-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 21-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
Good luck, good advice offered and duly ignored. I just hope that you don't take out some unsuspecting poor soul, when you wipe out on this soon to be death trap.
Good advice offered & noted, & not ignored, many thanks.
Old 21-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Good, I would seriously brace the shit out of that arm/frame, make it stronger, a lot stronger.
Old 21-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Chat Virgin

Good luck. Me, I'm no engineer, no mechanic, never built a trike and am now finishing up one I bought 3/4 done, so could well be I know jackshit about this... but I saw your photos and thought "that doesn't look anything like stable enough..."
Always good to hear that you're storing up the comments, tho. Thanks for not just lashing out at everyone, which is probably what I'd've done!!!
I'll hopefully get around to posting pics of my monster fairly soon, and then I too can reap the benefits of the collective experience...

Cheers,

Hrolf
Old 22-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Jedi Chat Master

JJ, that's a nicely proportioned trike you have there. The swinging arm issue is somewhat controversial and there are, as you can see, people who are very much against them. As said previously on here, they are at best a compromise. There are some absolutely hideous creations out there and at the same time, some fantastically engineered show winning jobs.
Although Shaggy suggest that you brace the frame to increase it's strength, there is also the option of having the swing arm less rigid in order to give it some natural flex.
What ever path you choose just bare in mind that it is an untried one off special.
All the best with your build.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Im with shaggy here brace the swinging arm mounts if you want to go that way, I perosnlly wouldnt the twisting forces are quite unnatural. when you stick a grinder through a 20 year old frame they are suprisingly poor quality and usually very rusty in side. Espescially the shock top mounts.

Similar age Z

So if one part of the frame is like that the othe rbits may be.#

Also the angle of your prop shaft is quite steep, might be worth shortening the axle on one side to reduce the angle and make the joints last longer.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Chat Virgin

Default hardtail it

be a man and do a hard tail ... safer.... stronger ... and better
Old 03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELL BOY View Post
be a man and do a hard tail ... safer.... stronger ... and better
I agree entirely my 1st trike was a Suzi 800 Intruder hard tail and I sprung the seat and it would catch bikes in the twisties, I was over 45yrs old and no back probs even on long runs.

2nd trike was a swingarm similar to this one but a Yam XV1100 although it handled pretty well it always worried me as it seemed to try and twist on rough roads, I gussetted all joints heavily but it still worried me.

3rd trike was the Hiyabusa RY1300 with Power commander it was built originally by the Trike Shop and used a Quaife Diff and independant arse end with coilovers, it was bloody awfull and scary on bends and rocked when over 120mph, I fitted 400lb springs and racked up the shockers making it virtually solid, it then handled ok and stopped rocking and weaving over 120mph (which it would do in 4th gear). If I were you I would weld it up and spring the seat or fit a good Gel seat.

I might add it looks like it'll be a nice trike but please take the sensible advice about the arse end, if you dont you WILL feel it trying to twist on the first roundabout and maybe then you will do the alterations nessesary for a safe ride.

Alfie
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Need to Get out More!

Take it from me, that is the same type of build ours was. It was done by a trike builder and it snapped at the tunnel where the prop comes through. i had my boy on the back at the time and it scared the living shit out of me. You can brace away all you like but it will let go because the horizontal forces in the will endure in the twisty bits are very high and will stress fracture at the weakest points. Bracees and gussets are just a way to move the stresses to the next weak spot. By the time you have sorted all the weak spots you will stand back and look at it, and guess what you willl see??? a HARD TAIL!!!.