100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Chat Pimp

Dan - it's only synthetic enamal paint, but still a ball ache as I have to pull apart the front end

as far as the steering lock goes, would it be possible to weld a hoop onto the headstock and similar onto the yoke and use a padlock?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Unauthorised use.

The device must act on the steering or transmission.

So a proper steering lock is ok, as is a padlock through two loops.

Or a padlock through the rear sprocket cos that's the transmission where as the brake disc is brakes therefore not allowed.

If you use a padlock it needs to be carried on the bike not in your pocket.
I know that sounds daft but, the euro babble requires the device to be fitted to the bike, so we can deem on the bike to be "fitted"

If a frame is radically altered it needs MSVA but can keep the same frame number.

Going hard tail is radically altered according to DVLA inf26.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Chat Pimp

Nice one Harry, very useful indeed, thank you very much
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM

An example of a padlock carried on the bike, but it doesn't have to bear the manufacturers name.

Pretty though innit?
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2012, 09:15 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to excalibur

This is why I think this test is a joke. Turn up on something with shitty welds covered in filler and paint and so long as its quiet and has the required indicators and mirrors and no sharp bits because heaven forbid a motorbike should be slightly dangerous then it passes.

I would be more impressed if they tested it as a rolling chassis, didnt allow paint and filler and things like lights and padlocks were not included. That would make more sense to me, but then again when did anything that we have because of europe (and yes I know this isnt from europe buts its there because we are in the failed club as an alternative) make any sense.

I have enough 80's Q plated log books for my next 3 bikes, all pre indicator regs so they should see me out for a few years, I also keep looking on ebay for them as I cant be arsed to build something to pass a test, spend out on shit I dont need and then start again once I have the log book.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Chatter Box

would this be allowed do you know - rather than a steering lock - as i dont want to carry a padlock or have my ignition on the bars either, - as well as the ignition to start the bike - a simple on - off toggle switch wired into the live wire from the battery and fixed securely somewhere so that as well as using the key you have to flip the switch to ON to connect the battery?

if not im just gonna get one them small cheap motion alarms off ebay
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Won't argue cos it's pointless. But in case you confuse others............

Welding is considered during the test.

When I was testing I failed quite a few bikes and trikes for poor welds.
Including stuff made in chinese factories.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbike-r View Post
would this be allowed do you know - rather than a steering lock - as i dont want to carry a padlock or have my ignition on the bars either, - as well as the ignition to start the bike - a simple on - off toggle switch wired into the live wire from the battery and fixed securely somewhere so that as well as using the key you have to flip the switch to ON to connect the battery?

if not im just gonna get one them small cheap motion alarms off ebay
An alarm only counts if it has an imobiliser built in, so as to stop the engine from running.

A switch has to have a removable key, so that two key switches are fitted.
A battery isolator switch with a key was acceptable when I was testing. Will try to check if it's still ok. These things have a habit of moving on.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Chatter Box

just looking through the manual again
Dave you will also need a safety device on your filler cap a cap that doesnt sit flush needs some form of rounded edge to the rear of the cap so that it doesnt obstruct the rider should he be thrown over

i was going to put one of those external fuel gauges on my tank too - the type that joins a clear piece of pipe to two connectors that allow fuel from the tank through but that will fail as a protrusion too

i think a small padlock through two hoops at the steering might be best - but carrying the lock, so that it doent become a protrusion or obstruction to any other component etc
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbike-r View Post
i think a small padlock through two hoops at the steering might be best - but carrying the lock, so that it doent become a protrusion or obstruction to any other component etc
Simple - most cheap disc locks come with a little canvas pounch - that would mount on something and I am sure remove the "protrusion" risk. I am sure the right disc lock would double as the padlock for the 2 hoops thus passing that part of the test even if in future you used it on the front disc
Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Chat Pimp

I'm not going to bother with the steering head loops if a padlock through the rear sprocket will suffice
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM

External projections are complicated to understand. But not that onerous for a bike.

ALL bikes are unbodied, cos a body requires you to sit in it not on it.

Apart from mirrors filler caps, handle bar levers, front muguard etc everything else is only a problem if deemed "contactable".

The test uses a vertical cylinder to represent a pedestrian or victim. The device is rolled down each side of the bike (another good reason to bring in the bike in primer, we will be careful but accidents are always possible) you sit on the bike in the normal riding postion. Bonus anywhere the victim touches you the bike wont fail. That means if you have a sharp edge on say a battery box in a normal position then the victim will hit you not the box, result pass.

The victim starts at the front wheel spindle and moves rearward till it contacts the bars(or levers) the steering is then turned to full lock as would happen in the real world. The victim then continues it's journey down the side of the bike, only those items it touches are looked at any further.

So your fuel gauge idea would pass as long as it is behind your leg or not on the very edge of the tank where the victim could hit it or is 10mm or more in diameter or softer than 60 Shore A, which is the hardness of a WH smiths rubber eraser.

Filler caps can stick up 15mm as long as they are spherical in shape but the Harley style speedo is deemed to protect it as the speedo or other raised panel would lift your bollocks over the cap and stop you damaging it.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to excalibur

would you be allowed to gaffer tape a pillow over the top of your tank if it had a raised fuel cap, and could you stick ping pong balls or similar over your pike nuts to get it through?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
would you be allowed to gaffer tape a pillow over the top of your tank if it had a raised fuel cap, and could you stick ping pong balls or similar over your pike nuts to get it through?
Nope all fixes have to be done properly using the correct materials "as a manufacturer would do"

Tape would be considered temporary.
Ping pong balls are taking the piss.

Pike nuts on an engine are unlikely to touch the victim unless sticking out of primary cases.