100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 24-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

I had an Avon triple duty tyre on the front of my trike. It handled much better than a "bike" tyre. It also reduced steering shimmy cos the larger contact area acts like a damper.

But the speed rating is only 75 mph.
Old 24-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

sidecar tripple duty can be a bit of a poison chalice on a combo though, on a slow old brit, theyre ok, but a heavy jap multi pushing a 3 figure top speed can overwhelm them. trikes have the advantage of being symetrical pretty much, so all you have to worry about in terms of straight line stability is road camber, but asymetrical outfits all have some sideways stress on the front wheel, even in a straight line, the old avons last for decades, but theyre not too grippy and on an outfit, the flat profile can give an alarming lack of grip on anything other than absolutely straight dead ahead. even links will allow some angling of the front wheel when turning, and on a flat profile tyre, once you are off the centre tread, youve not much rubber on the road, and the nature of an oufit means that once it starts pushing the front, then its tricky to recover it and stay on lane. a badly set up outfit can have more understeer than a supertanker!! i always ran a bike tyre on the front, cos a heavy outfit absolutely hammers its front tyres. ive seen, ( indeed ive done it myself) great chunks of rubber torn fron a tyre on an outfit, and due to the asymetric nature of them, once the front lets go, unless youve a sidecar brake, a quick throttle hand and balls the size of watermellons, you are merely a passenger!
the only outfit id ever consider putting a flat profile tyre on the front of would be one with centre hub steering, as it maintains its contact with the road at any steering angle.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 25-01-2012, 08:03 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I think they softened the compound about 5 years back as new tyres are not lasting as long as the older tyres that the oufits came with. Grip has always to my mind been excellent too, even on my 1000cc twin plugged bmw, which was more of a challenge to keep the front end down. If I had an outfit that was that hard on the front tyre, I'd get the alighnment and setup sorted, a sidecar should be steerable and rideable 1 handed though that's subject to usual disclaimers about loading, wind etc
Old 25-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Chatter Box

I don't know if this is true, but I thought Avon only continued making these because Austin 7 owners are buying enough to make it worth their while?
I tried one on a CX500/Squire, (leading links, 125 x 15 back wheel and lowered suspension all round) but it was dreadful, no grip on corners so I went back to a bike tyre after a week. But, some people here rate them so perhaps they're 'better' than they used to be?
BTW, leading links don't make a difference to how much the tyre 'leans' when turning, thats determined by the headstock angle. They alter trail to change the effort you need to steer. If you raise or lower the forks, that'll change the headstock angle relative to the road - push the legs up through the yokes and your tyre leans less as you turn the bars.
Old 25-01-2012, 05:58 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Austin 7 owners do help keep up demand and supply, however I think the cunning buggers at avon also softened the compound to increase grip but decrease life of the tyres, I recon I got 30,000 miles out of the tyre already fitted when I got my first outfit, but nearer 10,000 for the replacements. Don't think I rode that much faster but it was my first outfit and I did start off riding like a grandma and eventually became a bit of a fool pulling u turns at 60mph on dual caridgeways.
Either way, as tyres I'd highly rate their 3.50/19 sidecar tripple duties and the 400/18 sm mk11 tyres for the rear of outfits. I've done a lot of miles on these tyres and found them to be very predictable and grippy even under silly loads (carring a 1000cc bmw in the sidear) and in silly weather - ie snow. Only time I've been tempted to look elsewhere was trying a steep hill on compacted snow on my bmw outfit where trail tyres might have helped.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
I think they softened the compound about 5 years back as new tyres are not lasting as long as the older tyres that the oufits came with. Grip has always to my mind been excellent too, even on my 1000cc twin plugged bmw, which was more of a challenge to keep the front end down. If I had an outfit that was that hard on the front tyre, I'd get the alighnment and setup sorted, a sidecar should be steerable and rideable 1 handed though that's subject to usual disclaimers about loading, wind etc
true, and not! setting up an outfit is always a compromise. you can make them stable as hell but they then are heavy to steer, equally you can make em light steering but that comes at the expense of stability. but regardless of how it feels in a straight line, it all goes out the window when you either snap open the throttle or stamp on the brakes! ive had some very heavy outfits, and they can take weeks and weeks of fettling before theyre something like right in most conditions.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 26-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
I think they softened the compound about 5 years back as new tyres are not lasting as long as the older tyres that the oufits came with.
It aint impossible they changed the compound, but old tyres become harder as the rubber oxidises it also becomes more brittle.

Some tyres that have been stored a long time or fitted and not used become much harderr wearing and often break up before they wear out.

It's a common problem with caravans.