100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 20-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony
Default carpal tunnel syndrome

Ive had problems now for over 14 months. Gradually loosing sensation in my fingers. Now got hardly any grip with that hand and suffer with numbness and pins and needles.

Dr referred me to hospital waiting for that. But was wondering if anyone here had any experiences similar.
Cant pull the clutch on the trike. Just about hold the bars with my left hand.
Old 20-12-2011, 07:10 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

have you had a back injury at some ponit mate,back problems and traped nerves can cause these sensations.
Old 20-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Chatter Box

this is worsened by the cold weather?
heated grips or gloves may help to to encourage the blood flow and reduce symptoms, gotta be worth a try, no medical expert myself but i get white fingers even in the summer think its from the vibrations throught the bars and keeping my hands warmer tends to reduce it a bit
Old 21-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Tony, this could possibly be what they call "White Finger" disease. Have you ever used any vibrating machinery over the years? Polishing equipement? Kango hammers? Any heavy Machinery that requires extensive man handling over long periods of time? If so your company should have had a regular audit on equipement to see if they meet current regulations and also paid for you to have regular medical check ups to see that you are not having any effects from long term usage. If they haven't they are negligent and you will be entitled to industrial compensation.

And WITCH, I'd leave the Rabbit alone for a while if I was you!

Hat! Coat! Gone!

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 21-12-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 21-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Or possibly Reynauds syndrome, same type of effects.

Everyone jumps to the conclusion that white fingers means you have suffered from HAV.

Have a mate who suffers from Reynauds and trust me she has never operated a drill, grinder etc, its really bad in the winter and even in the summer she has to wear thick bike gloves
Old 21-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

ive been suffering numbness and tingling hands for a few years now, got mri scans and various other tests where they hook you up to a machine and send shocks down your arms but they drew a blank so im still none the wiser.
a m8 is going through similar and has been told its either nerves trapped or motor neurons, hopefully just his wiring harness needing poked a bit.
i got some reflexology done and it made a difference to me.
Old 21-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

thanks everyone, yes I am in the same sort of boat, never worked really with that sort of machinery, nothing prolonged, just general useage ie at home etc

Im being sent for same sort of things you mention, waiting on apointment with neurologist, and also some bloke about nerves and things

I know nothing about reflexology, but will go and look it up

many thanks, merry xmas

Tony
Old 21-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

MRI Scans of your spine will show up any problems that would cause the symptoms you describe, Tony. They usually trace back to the spine where something as daft as a disc slightly out of line will give you all kinds of grief. However, we can blab away forever on here without getting to the root of the problems you have. I hope the docs can figure it out for you cos I know what that pain feels like and it aint nice.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 21-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Your handlebars may be vibrating and that can cause pins and needles etc.
I have silicon in mine it works a treat.

See here: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...iw=267&bih=309

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 21-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Chatter Box

carpal tunnel syndrome ,
i had this a few years ago , had to have a op but it has sorted it out so go get it seen to it does put you off work for 6 weeks but its well worth it , its only a small cut in your wrist after all
Old 21-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Chat Virgin

i had exactly the same problem at beginning of this year. Went to the quack and he gave me cortisone injections in each wrist, after about 4 or 5 days it completely cleared up but has just started to come back now At the time it first started i was in a factory working on a grinder all day and the guys there reckoned it was quite a common reaction when you start working with vibration tools i.e. 50% get it and 50% dont . Some of em had the op and they said it worked a treat but they dont do both wrists at the same time AND its a cupla months of work each Needless to say as soon as the gaffers found out i got the boot . Dont mean to put you on a downer mate but just summat to think about before you tell your boss
Old 21-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post

And WITCH, I'd leave the Rabbit alone for a while if I was you!

Hat! Coat! Gone!
dont need a rabbit i got a buell lol
Old 22-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

A couple of nerve induction tests will show if the median or ulnar nerves are being compresed. If so you will need a de-compression.
I have had both mine done and all I can say is...the drugs were good

Good luck Tony x
Old 22-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadge View Post
i had exactly the same problem at beginning of this year. Went to the quack and he gave me cortisone injections in each wrist, after about 4 or 5 days it completely cleared up but has just started to come back now At the time it first started i was in a factory working on a grinder all day and the guys there reckoned it was quite a common reaction when you start working with vibration tools i.e. 50% get it and 50% dont . Some of em had the op and they said it worked a treat but they dont do both wrists at the same time AND its a cupla months of work each Needless to say as soon as the gaffers found out i got the boot . Dont mean to put you on a downer mate but just summat to think about before you tell your boss
They shouldn't be able to sack you, as it's a condition born out of working environments. The Bosses should've provided you with all possible care so that you should not get any problems relating to your working environment. Should you suffer long term ill effects as you have done then the company should offer you redeployment elsewhere in the company. I suggest you go to underdog.com and seek advise?
Old 22-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Chat Virgin

Unfortunately they can get rid for any reason they want if youve been there less than 2 years and id only been there 6 months but they were good in the first place to take me on cuz id just had 2 years off with a brain tumour and nobody wanted to know as far as employers were concerned. Anyhoo , as the advert said, unlike the murphys im not bitter . And i did walk into a better job but thanks for the advice Friar and Wappy Birthday by the way

Last edited by Gadge; 22-12-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 22-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Cheers to you mate! I think that you will find that the company is responsible for your health from day one in certain types of jobs like this. But seeing as you landed on your feet elsewhere good luck!
Old 23-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

mates dad had similar and then kept losing sensation in toes, went to docs lots of times and they tested him for everything inc Parkinsons. Finally he fell over one day becuase he couldn't feel where he was putting his feet - son made him demand an MRI and they then wouldn't let him off the table without a neck brace - he had a collapsing vertabrae in his neck and they operated that day.

saying that my nan and uncle both had carpal tunnel opps as has a bike riding mate and they are actually quite simple ops.

Just don't let docs fob you off and don't under report the symptoms - get them to do proper tests just in case
Old 24-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

S'funny, but I get that on occassions! Usually after I've been to a rally!