100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 14-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Dilemma!

What with all the shit that happened over the last few months, I was discussing selling my Dad's DFC, etc! with my Missus and with the proceeds either buy a bike or a classic car. And she is quite happy for me to do this. She was thinking along the same lines with her Dad's DFM, except she wants to buy gurlie things!

Trouble is, we feel guilty about doing this, but at the end of the day, all the medals are doing are sitting in a drawer doing nothing. If I sell them at least they are being put to some use. I know that if whatever I buy I won't sell it as I would keep it.

Then if we do sell them, do we sell the whole shebang with log books , flying helmets etc, as it all adds to the providence and the value?

I'm open to suggestions!
Old 14-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Send a message via MSN to Worjorj

Have a word with the RAFA. They may have an idea about museums etc that may be interested, particularly with the logbooks et al.
Old 14-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Need to Get out More!

my great uncle was awarded the dfm and when he died my great aunt had to change her will to inlude all his things. it caused a lot of arguements within her close family about who the medal should go to so she's left it to a museum. just a thought as to what can happen if you try and keep it in the family. also if your father is anything like my great uncle he couldnt care less about the medal, it is just a piece of metal. what mattered to him was the pride in what he and the rest of his bomber crew did for their country and the relief at living to tell the tale.
Old 14-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator

What Mr Haddock said. But, if you can afford to take the drop in revenue, maybe try and keep the logbooks, etc? After all, yes, the medal is a piece of metal but the other stuff has a more personal connection.

As for keeping them in the family? Well, unless you have family who would want to revere them, then the chances are the medals will be sold a generation down the line anyway.

I think what most of the bomber crews would have said is that life is for living. Not for keeping in a drawer.
Old 14-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I've got my medals from the Falklands and Gulf, I'd like to think they will stay in the family forever. I will hand them down to my daughter and I hope she passes them on in time. I would be VERY dissapointed and sad if they were sold. They are not just bits of metal, they mean so much to me. I wear them at the appropriate times to remember those lads still on patrol and not coming home.
Old 14-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Need to Get out More!

bigbod, please dont think im calling medals worthless, any man who has seen combat defending the country deserves my respect, what im expressing is my relatives opinion as he won his medal saving an injured crewman as his halifax went down before bailing out himself. he always said he did it cos it was his mate not because he was a hero. he was very proud that he was given the recognition for his actions as am i, but for him the medal held no value as an object once back on civvy street.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

I got one from Hamburg city for flood relief work and one from Aden while I was in the Army..both got pinched from my Army locker by other squadies and I didn't even care enough to report it..God knows what happened to my dads medals..

but some people really care, some others still wear parts of forces uniforms thirty years after they were demobbed..

If you need the money sell them, but don't moan about it a few years down the line when the bike and girly things are just memories..

John.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Chat Virgin

If you sell them how about buying some minatures to frame and keep the memory going. Something that could be handed down perhaps.
Old 15-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

I must admit that I'm very reluctant to sell them at the moment. I think I go along with Blue on this one.

My brother that I really respect, is quite happy for me to sell them, but as for the rest of the family, they can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned!
Old 15-12-2011, 11:29 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

My grandad's medals were split between me and my siblings, as far as I am aware, I am the only one who holds them with any kind of reverence.

As for my own, well, I am extremely proud of mine - well one of them anyway - but what do I do with them, as far as I am aware they are only of value to me. So really, I couldn't give a toss what happens to them once I depart this mortal coil.

HTH