100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 25-11-2011, 03:18 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Default ford

seen a advert for the new ford focus,its not for me,but in the advert it says that its got a automatic breaking sensor,if it detects a car or something in front it automaticaly breaks,it got me thinking does it know im behind it,and know not to to slam on or im in the back,as a computer can react a lot quicker than a person.the way i see it humans do things diffurent than computers,so a percived danger to a computer,may not be to me,ie a bin bag blowing across the road,i would just keep driving,but the focus may break.causing me to crash,as i would see the bag as a bag,and no more,and would not expect the car infront to react any diffurent,and untill i get information to the contary,i am very worried,about this development.
Old 25-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Don't worry..the law says you have to drive within stopping distance...

John.
Old 25-11-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Don't worry..the law says you have to drive within stopping distance...

John.
thats relative to how good your brakes are mate,im sure a sports car with 20,000 brakes on can stop in a shorter distance than me,speaking from experience,some prick in a poach,sorry i cant spell prick car.cut me up at the end of the motorway,the brakes on the car were so good,if i hadent gone on to the hard shoulder i would have gone into teh back.
Old 25-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I've driven Porches and Ferraris around Thruxton and those things stop in a phenomenally short distance. If I was trying to match the braking on the Harley I would be on my arse.
Old 25-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

First of all, these automatic braking sensors only work up to about 19mph.
Secondly, if you run up the arse of someone else, it's your fault, always has been, always will be.
A bike with twin 6 pot Brembos' will stop a lot faster than a 20 year old 2 tonne pick-up, if the pick up arse ended you on your bike, would you accept responsibility just because you've got better brakes?
Old 25-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

It shouldn't alter the way you ride.

The automatic system might brake for a plastic bag. So might a little old lady.
So might I if I thought there was summat in it or that it might block my radiator or stick to my exhaust and make a stink.

So whatever you are following you have to be able to stop if the vehicle in front of you stops suddenly.
Old 25-11-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
First of all, these automatic braking sensors only work up to about 19mph.
Secondly, if you run up the arse of someone else, it's your fault, always has been, always will be.
A bike with twin 6 pot Brembos' will stop a lot faster than a 20 year old 2 tonne pick-up, if the pick up arse ended you on your bike, would you accept responsibility just because you've got better brakes?
so a car cuts in on your braking gap.between you and the car in front,leaving you 2 foot if you are lucky,coming up to a junction,and slams on,you rear end them,and survive,and its your fault,I THINK NOT
Old 25-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale rider View Post
so a car cuts in on your braking gap.between you and the car in front,leaving you 2 foot if you are lucky,coming up to a junction,and slams on,you rear end them,and survive,and its your fault,I THINK NOT
You are talking out your arse mate, and you know it, you can argue and dress it up as much as you want, there is not going to be much support for your opinion.
Do tell us all, if YOU are filtering, pull in front of someone and they rear end YOU, who's fault is it again?
Old 25-11-2011, 08:11 PM

i dont see the diffurence between,cutting some one up.causing them to rear end you accidently,and doing it as a scam to get compensation,i guess you think its there fault,a blanket coverage for every unfortunate person that rear ends some one is automaticaly at fault.
Old 26-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Chat Slut

well i was allways tought ,the one behind pays?
Old 26-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedd View Post
well i was allways tought ,the one behind pays?
The only exception I can think of is if you overtake a police car while filtering, then even if he doesn't hit you he does you for dangerous driving...

On my trip round Wales a police car was blocking the slow lane doing 40mph the next lane was solid with traffic doing at least 60mph nose to tail..no room to move out..After about 10 minutes of this I found enough room to filter past at about 50-55mph which I did, as I got past the police car a double length artic started to pull in front of the police car ignoring me, I could either brake and cause the police car I had just overtaken to brake or hit the throttle and undertake the artic before it completed the lane change. I hit the throttle and beat the artic and got pulled.

John.
Old 26-11-2011, 08:25 PM

anyway for those that cant read,my post was not about the blame game,thats for the police courts to decide,i was questioning the automatic braking system of the new car,and is it realy needed,is it going to cause probloms.posting on here some times is like having a wife,thay hear (read) one thing,and think you have said some thing else.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale rider View Post
anyway for those that cant read,my post was not about the blame game,thats for the police courts to decide,i was questioning the automatic braking system of the new car,and is it realy needed,is it going to cause probloms.posting on here some times is like having a wife,thay hear (read) one thing,and think you have said some thing else.

I'm sorry mate but whether the car or bike or bus or lorry in front of you has automatic braking system or not or even has an engine seize and stops violently and you hit it up the arse....

YOU are too close to it to start with....end of....simples.

And I have read your first post twice.

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 27-11-2011, 01:45 PM

re - going into the back of another vehicle, even if someone goes into the back of you and you in turn hit the person in front of you, it is still you who's insurer will pay out to the driver in front of you. they then claim that back (if possible) from the driver who went into you. That's the way it is, been there, been the jam, was glad I was insured as the driver who gave me a shunt to the rear fucked off without leaving details.
Re the original post -is automatic braking etc in cars a good idea - Mixed bag here, on the one side if it stops an accident that is surely a good thing. Flip side of the coin, it could malfunction and cause an accident, the driver may well come to rely on the system, then either diable it without realising or get into a vehicle without the system and forget it isn't fitted, either way the result would be that the driver could apply the brakes late or not at all. Personally I feel that the driver should always be in controll. If they feel that a machine is needed to help them drive then they should not be on the road
Old 28-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
re - going into the back of another vehicle, even if someone goes into the back of you and you in turn hit the person in front of you, it is still you who's insurer will pay out to the driver in front of you. they then claim that back (if possible) from the driver who went into you. That's the way it is, been there, been the jam, was glad I was insured as the driver who gave me a shunt to the rear fucked off without leaving details.
Re the original post -is automatic braking etc in cars a good idea - Mixed bag here, on the one side if it stops an accident that is surely a good thing. Flip side of the coin, it could malfunction and cause an accident, the driver may well come to rely on the system, then either diable it without realising or get into a vehicle without the system and forget it isn't fitted, either way the result would be that the driver could apply the brakes late or not at all. Personally I feel that the driver should always be in controll. If they feel that a machine is needed to help them drive then they should not be on the road
very good point the driver should always be in control,i wounder if thay would get away with blaiming the computer for accident
Old 28-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Wonder how the sensor actually works. Parking sensors can get confused by mud on them so I wonder if we will see a bunch of cars refusing to move in winter and it being finally atributed to front facing sensors ocluded by road crud - bet there is a small print which says keep them regualrly cleaned
Old 28-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Get a grip you lot, it aint like an auto-braking system is gonna sense a bin bag blowing across the road and slam all the brakes on and screech to a dead stop, all these things are built with the compensation culture in mind.
If a full rubbish skip falls out the sky, and lands on the car in front, stopping it dead, no screech of brakes or swerving, just stops. Dead. And you hit it.
Tough shit. You shudda left enough room to be able to get round it, if not brake and stop.
Perhaps the blame lies in the design of black plastic bin bags, maybe they should be weighted so they dont blow about, maybe a campaign's in order before they finish us all off due to the negligent and frankly fatal design errors therein. Probably inbuilt with a cull of motorcyclists in mind.
Old 28-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Not just bin bags Taff.

Shopping bags are custom designed to cling to your visor like a copulating octopus. They should be transparent so you can see through them and avoid a terrible crash.
Old 28-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Me, I think it is a shit idea.

Nothing to do with who hit who or why. I just think there are far too many distractions in the modern car, the average driver is too busy thinking about his toys to be able to focus on the ridiculous aspect of actually driving the car. Give the average motorist a gizmo like this and his levels of concentration will drop even further.

Another step in the divorce between the action of operating a car and actually driving it.