100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25-11-2011, 03:18 PM
pale rider pale rider is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,801
Default ford

seen a advert for the new ford focus,its not for me,but in the advert it says that its got a automatic breaking sensor,if it detects a car or something in front it automaticaly breaks,it got me thinking does it know im behind it,and know not to to slam on or im in the back,as a computer can react a lot quicker than a person.the way i see it humans do things diffurent than computers,so a percived danger to a computer,may not be to me,ie a bin bag blowing across the road,i would just keep driving,but the focus may break.causing me to crash,as i would see the bag as a bag,and no more,and would not expect the car infront to react any diffurent,and untill i get information to the contary,i am very worried,about this development.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-11-2011, 03:29 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Don't worry..the law says you have to drive within stopping distance...

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-11-2011, 03:37 PM
pale rider pale rider is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Don't worry..the law says you have to drive within stopping distance...

John.
thats relative to how good your brakes are mate,im sure a sports car with 20,000 brakes on can stop in a shorter distance than me,speaking from experience,some prick in a poach,sorry i cant spell prick car.cut me up at the end of the motorway,the brakes on the car were so good,if i hadent gone on to the hard shoulder i would have gone into teh back.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Steve D Steve D is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seaford, East Sussex
Posts: 689
Default

I've driven Porches and Ferraris around Thruxton and those things stop in a phenomenally short distance. If I was trying to match the braking on the Harley I would be on my arse.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Dusty's Avatar
Dusty Dusty is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Wales
Posts: 970
Default

First of all, these automatic braking sensors only work up to about 19mph.
Secondly, if you run up the arse of someone else, it's your fault, always has been, always will be.
A bike with twin 6 pot Brembos' will stop a lot faster than a 20 year old 2 tonne pick-up, if the pick up arse ended you on your bike, would you accept responsibility just because you've got better brakes?
__________________
The object of war is NOT to die for your country, but to make sure the other Bastard dies for his.
And how come you hate our flag, but love our benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-11-2011, 05:23 PM
harry's Avatar
harry harry is offline
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Taunton
Posts: 3,399
Default

It shouldn't alter the way you ride.

The automatic system might brake for a plastic bag. So might a little old lady.
So might I if I thought there was summat in it or that it might block my radiator or stick to my exhaust and make a stink.

So whatever you are following you have to be able to stop if the vehicle in front of you stops suddenly.
__________________
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-11-2011, 05:28 PM
pale rider pale rider is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
First of all, these automatic braking sensors only work up to about 19mph.
Secondly, if you run up the arse of someone else, it's your fault, always has been, always will be.
A bike with twin 6 pot Brembos' will stop a lot faster than a 20 year old 2 tonne pick-up, if the pick up arse ended you on your bike, would you accept responsibility just because you've got better brakes?
so a car cuts in on your braking gap.between you and the car in front,leaving you 2 foot if you are lucky,coming up to a junction,and slams on,you rear end them,and survive,and its your fault,I THINK NOT
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Dusty's Avatar
Dusty Dusty is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Wales
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale rider View Post
so a car cuts in on your braking gap.between you and the car in front,leaving you 2 foot if you are lucky,coming up to a junction,and slams on,you rear end them,and survive,and its your fault,I THINK NOT
You are talking out your arse mate, and you know it, you can argue and dress it up as much as you want, there is not going to be much support for your opinion.
Do tell us all, if YOU are filtering, pull in front of someone and they rear end YOU, who's fault is it again?
__________________
The object of war is NOT to die for your country, but to make sure the other Bastard dies for his.
And how come you hate our flag, but love our benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-11-2011, 08:11 PM
pale rider pale rider is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,801
Default

i dont see the diffurence between,cutting some one up.causing them to rear end you accidently,and doing it as a scam to get compensation,i guess you think its there fault,a blanket coverage for every unfortunate person that rear ends some one is automaticaly at fault.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26-11-2011, 01:42 PM
chedd chedd is offline
Chat Slut
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: belton,north lincs.
Posts: 129
Default

well i was allways tought ,the one behind pays?
__________________
the cheesemakers shall inherit the world!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26-11-2011, 05:06 PM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedd View Post
well i was allways tought ,the one behind pays?
The only exception I can think of is if you overtake a police car while filtering, then even if he doesn't hit you he does you for dangerous driving...

On my trip round Wales a police car was blocking the slow lane doing 40mph the next lane was solid with traffic doing at least 60mph nose to tail..no room to move out..After about 10 minutes of this I found enough room to filter past at about 50-55mph which I did, as I got past the police car a double length artic started to pull in front of the police car ignoring me, I could either brake and cause the police car I had just overtaken to brake or hit the throttle and undertake the artic before it completed the lane change. I hit the throttle and beat the artic and got pulled.

John.
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26-11-2011, 08:25 PM
pale rider pale rider is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,801
Default

anyway for those that cant read,my post was not about the blame game,thats for the police courts to decide,i was questioning the automatic braking system of the new car,and is it realy needed,is it going to cause probloms.posting on here some times is like having a wife,thay hear (read) one thing,and think you have said some thing else.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26-11-2011, 10:28 PM
knuckle's Avatar
knuckle knuckle is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ALWAYS!!! down the pub I'm told!
Posts: 983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale rider View Post
anyway for those that cant read,my post was not about the blame game,thats for the police courts to decide,i was questioning the automatic braking system of the new car,and is it realy needed,is it going to cause probloms.posting on here some times is like having a wife,thay hear (read) one thing,and think you have said some thing else.


I'm sorry mate but whether the car or bike or bus or lorry in front of you has automatic braking system or not or even has an engine seize and stops violently and you hit it up the arse....

YOU are too close to it to start with....end of....simples.

And I have read your first post twice.
__________________


Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27-11-2011, 01:45 PM
matthewmosse matthewmosse is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 1,572
Default

re - going into the back of another vehicle, even if someone goes into the back of you and you in turn hit the person in front of you, it is still you who's insurer will pay out to the driver in front of you. they then claim that back (if possible) from the driver who went into you. That's the way it is, been there, been the jam, was glad I was insured as the driver who gave me a shunt to the rear fucked off without leaving details.
Re the original post -is automatic braking etc in cars a good idea - Mixed bag here, on the one side if it stops an accident that is surely a good thing. Flip side of the coin, it could malfunction and cause an accident, the driver may well come to rely on the system, then either diable it without realising or get into a vehicle without the system and forget it isn't fitted, either way the result would be that the driver could apply the brakes late or not at all. Personally I feel that the driver should always be in controll. If they feel that a machine is needed to help them drive then they should not be on the road
__________________
Owner of Fnaarrrrr........ (TM)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28-11-2011, 08:35 AM
pale rider pale rider is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
re - going into the back of another vehicle, even if someone goes into the back of you and you in turn hit the person in front of you, it is still you who's insurer will pay out to the driver in front of you. they then claim that back (if possible) from the driver who went into you. That's the way it is, been there, been the jam, was glad I was insured as the driver who gave me a shunt to the rear fucked off without leaving details.
Re the original post -is automatic braking etc in cars a good idea - Mixed bag here, on the one side if it stops an accident that is surely a good thing. Flip side of the coin, it could malfunction and cause an accident, the driver may well come to rely on the system, then either diable it without realising or get into a vehicle without the system and forget it isn't fitted, either way the result would be that the driver could apply the brakes late or not at all. Personally I feel that the driver should always be in controll. If they feel that a machine is needed to help them drive then they should not be on the road
very good point the driver should always be in control,i wounder if thay would get away with blaiming the computer for accident
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 28-11-2011, 11:10 AM
wurzel wurzel is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,007
Default

Wonder how the sensor actually works. Parking sensors can get confused by mud on them so I wonder if we will see a bunch of cars refusing to move in winter and it being finally atributed to front facing sensors ocluded by road crud - bet there is a small print which says keep them regualrly cleaned
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 28-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Taff's Avatar
Taff Taff is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 4,954
Default

Get a grip you lot, it aint like an auto-braking system is gonna sense a bin bag blowing across the road and slam all the brakes on and screech to a dead stop, all these things are built with the compensation culture in mind.
If a full rubbish skip falls out the sky, and lands on the car in front, stopping it dead, no screech of brakes or swerving, just stops. Dead. And you hit it.
Tough shit. You shudda left enough room to be able to get round it, if not brake and stop.
Perhaps the blame lies in the design of black plastic bin bags, maybe they should be weighted so they dont blow about, maybe a campaign's in order before they finish us all off due to the negligent and frankly fatal design errors therein. Probably inbuilt with a cull of motorcyclists in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 28-11-2011, 12:46 PM
droid's Avatar
droid droid is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tamworth
Posts: 1,338
Default

Not just bin bags Taff.

Shopping bags are custom designed to cling to your visor like a copulating octopus. They should be transparent so you can see through them and avoid a terrible crash.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 28-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Biker Buster's Avatar
Biker Buster Biker Buster is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Near Glasgow
Posts: 1,699
Default

Me, I think it is a shit idea.

Nothing to do with who hit who or why. I just think there are far too many distractions in the modern car, the average driver is too busy thinking about his toys to be able to focus on the ridiculous aspect of actually driving the car. Give the average motorist a gizmo like this and his levels of concentration will drop even further.

Another step in the divorce between the action of operating a car and actually driving it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.