100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 26-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony
Default todays wombling gains

So as many of you know im tight and like skips etc lol
anyways today opposite my work theres a guy struggling with a tv in the back of his car.
Turned out he was about to take it to the dump. Tells me whats wrong with it. I offered to repair it for him. Says he dont want it. So i asked for it. End result being a tv in my car with remote and leads. Opened it up found blown capacitor on the power board and 2 dry joints.
Now sat watching a 42 inch samsung hd tv. Friggin huge lol

he said he had the wall mount and a stand for it at home. Going to pop over in the morning and ask for them also lol.

Glad i didnt take the trike today
Old 26-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Self opinionated twat

Send a message via Yahoo to hacky

Lucky Wombling Bastard

Old 26-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Lol might take it back and ask for a refund.
Its got built in freeview but wont pickup the freeview hd channels?
Old 26-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

I reckon you deserve it..He was going to throw it, you found the blown cap and dry joints..Did you try the first time install to get the freeview, you do realise you have to tune in the analogue channel on some TVs before you can search for freeview..look up what channel's between 22 and 68 you need for freeview in your area.

John.
Old 27-09-2011, 06:14 AM

I told him that I could probably fix it, he just said, good luck you ya

we dont have analogue channels here, havent had analogue for probably 2 years, we were the first region to be turned off

according to the freeview website I should be able to access some HD channels, but the tuner in the TV doesnt find them, cant remember if the old set top box finds them, might plug it back in and have a look
Old 27-09-2011, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
according to the freeview website I should be able to access some HD channels, but the tuner in the TV doesnt find them, cant remember if the old set top box finds them, might plug it back in and have a look
You really need a decent aerial to get the Freeview HD channels
Old 27-09-2011, 07:17 AM

aha that explains it then, our signal was halved overnight sometime back, the local transmitter was turned down and the signal on the box went from 99% to about 55% over night, our area has terrible problems with freezing and the audio video going out of synch, this explains why I cant get the HD

time to maybe look for a second hand blueray, theres 3 hdmi ports, god knows how many audio ports, ports for data and computers??? all I got plugged in is the power and the coax from the wall LOL

although the picture is obviously bigger, the sound is nothing like and picture quality isnt as good as the tube TV thats currently sat in my living room, cant help but feel guilty that Im changing just because its more trendy and bigger.

now then how do I move an 80kg tube TV out to the car park LOL
Old 27-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Chatter Box

lol wish you had been around to fix my samsung
try free sat if your signal is crap
saves on a subscriptions and you get freeview channels plus few more for free aint too expensive......
Old 27-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Need to Get out More!

i had the same problem with a 36" tube telly in an upstairs flat lol, the telly was fucked so i made a little sledge out of a pallet, put my matress at bottom of the stairs and slid it down on a rope lol
Old 27-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
we dont have analogue channels here, havent had analogue for probably 2 years, we were the first region to be turned off
I may have made that a bit unclear..The TV band is divided into frequencies and these frequencies were allocated to TV stations..

Channel 21 - 68 each channel used 8Mhz to produce one TV station so C21 used 470Mhz to 478 Mhz and C68 used 846Mhz to 854Mhz..

The digital channels still use the same frequencies but each channel is condensed and uses less bandwidth so the old analogue channel is now called a multiplex or MUX..this will carry 8Mhz of condensed digital TV stations..But the TV still needs an analogue TV aerial to pick up the original frequency.

The whole tv band is divided into three main blocks and the Aerials are divided into groups A, B, and C. group A is for channels 21 - 35 B, for 35 - 52 and C for 52 -68. there is another group W which stands for wideband and this is to cover the low channels and the high channels but misses out the middle ones..

You need to find out which analogue channels your local transmitter uses to broadcast your MUX's and then fit the right aerial. If you fit the wrong one the pictures will break up or blank out.

When you find out which aerial you need it will say for instance group A H or C22H or V H stands for Horizontal and means the loop at the back of the aerial has to be lying down in line with the horizon and V stands for vertical which means the loop has to stand up like a tree.

Think I've covered it all..sorry if it sounds condescending but I don't know how much you already know..

John.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:54 AM

blimey, there was me thinkin my wire coat hanger was up to the job

LOL many thanks, thats much appreciated, I had great picture before the switch off, will contact freeview website and look into the bands and also have a look at the aerial.

will print all that information off and try to digest it properly.

I dont have sky(cant afford or pass the credit check LOL) or even a dish, so Im limited to free TV through the aerial.
Old 27-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy a sky box and dish second hand for about 20 on a good day, complete with a free card and remote..connect it to your tv and press the test signal button then put the TV on search until it locks on two white bars on a black background..Your local Aerial fitter will probably align the dish for another 20 and that will give you about 20 or more extra free channels.

John.
Old 27-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Chatter Box

yeah i dont pay subs on my sat.... hmmph not a chance of wasting money on tv i wont watch when i could spend it on overpriced fuel instead!