100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 15-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Errrr, I saw a 1200 bandit engined one at stormin' a few years ago, and it had plates
You might have done, doesn't mean it's legal though

Quads are classed as 2 distinct types

Vehicle classification L6e
Light quadricycle Four wheels, with a maximum unladen mass of 350kg (not including the mass of the batteries in an electrically powered vehicle), a maximum speed of 45km/h, a maximum spark ignition internal combustion engine capacity of 50cm3, or maximum power of any other internal combustion engine of 4kW or maximum electric motor power of 4kW.

Vehicle classification L7e
Quadricycle - Four wheels, with a maximum unladen mass of 400kg or 550kg for a goods carrying vehicle (not including the mass of the batteries in an electrically powered vehicle) and a maximum net power, whatever the type of engine or motor, of 15kW.

Both types of quad are taxed as cars ( PLG) at car tax rates for <1500 cc cars unless they are electrically powered or they have been declared to be Agricultural vehicles to the DVLA by the supplier. Electrically powered ones pay no tax and agricultural ones pay reduced rate tax and are not allowed on motorways, but they are also allowed to be run on red diesel.
Old 15-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Chatter Box

Default Not road legal????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
You might have done, doesn't mean it's legal though

Quads are classed as 2 distinct types

Vehicle classification L6e
Light quadricycle – Four wheels, with a maximum unladen mass of 350kg (not including the mass of the batteries in an electrically powered vehicle), a maximum speed of 45km/h, a maximum spark ignition internal combustion engine capacity of 50cm3, or maximum power of any other internal combustion engine of 4kW or maximum electric motor power of 4kW.

Vehicle classification L7e
Quadricycle - Four wheels, with a maximum unladen mass of 400kg or 550kg for a goods carrying vehicle (not including the mass of the batteries in an electrically powered vehicle) and a maximum net power, whatever the type of engine or motor, of 15kW.

Both types of quad are taxed as cars ( PLG) at car tax rates for <1500 cc cars unless they are electrically powered or they have been declared to be Agricultural vehicles to the DVLA by the supplier. Electrically powered ones pay no tax and agricultural ones pay reduced rate tax and are not allowed on motorways, but they are also allowed to be run on red diesel.
You missed out a couple of crucial paragraphs from that DVLA page though:
Category L7e

This category is a four-wheeled quadricycle with:

an unladen weight of 400 kilograms (or 550 kilograms for a goods carrying vehicle)
a maximum net power, whatever the type of engine or motor, of 15 kilowatts

"Four wheeled vehicles that fall outside of these two definitions would need to be type approved, registered and taxed in another category like a car."

"Using a quad bike on the road

Before you can ride a quad bike on the road it must firstly be type approved in line with one of the following:

European Whole Vehicle Type Approval system (ECWVTA)
UK National Type Approval (Small Series)
UK Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval Scheme (MSVA)

Type approval is a testing process to check that all vehicles in the UK meet both European and domestic safety and environmental standards. When your vehicle is type approved it can be registered and taxed with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

You can find out more about how to type approve your vehicle and the above schemes on the Businesslink website.

There are some manufacturers, like Bombardier of Canada, who have got type approval for four-wheel motorcycles, ie quad bikes. As long as the quad bike has ECWVTA and a Certificate of Conformity then it can be registered and legally used on the roads."

http://www.rocketquads.com/polaris-r...gal/cat_2.html

Cheers, Big Mick.

Last edited by biggus mickus; 15-09-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 15-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Chatter Box

OK I admit it

1) L6e and L7e is the European standard definition of these types of vehicles. ECWVTA , I think it would not apply to vehicles outside these definitions

2) UK national type approval (small series) , this is something I'm not sure about but suspect this standard has been replaced by ECWVTA.

3) UK motorcycle single vehicle approval scheme MSVA

According to the MSVA document amendment 3/2010, Quads must conform to L6e or L7e to be tested.

. That Polaris link is certainly interesting, can't see from information available how they can get a 70bhp quad road legal

One for MSVA Chris methinks?

Last edited by happybiker; 15-09-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 16-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Jedi Chat Master

No to trike mag. That's just for weirdo's innit

Wouldn't mind seeing one in 100% though. Happen it's a biker mag more than a bike mag, so if a biker's gone and built himself a quad and it's good enough to feature, then why the hell not? Hell if a biker's built a swedish style shithouse it'd be worth seeing
Old 16-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Chatter Box

I think that if the said quad is bike derived, then I don't see any issue with putting it in Trike mag or 100% Biker mag. Look on youtube, plenty of quads with large bike engines.
Also there are plenty of trikes that are way more car than bike out there!
Not to mention all the small cars with bike engines.
And bikes with car engines,ffs!

Having said all that, this is one of my favourites, just because it's so completely bonkers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe_mS_ucYCM

Cheers, Mick.
Old 16-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

That Impreza sounds like it's snoring ...
Old 16-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Chat Pimp

Having read the article I get the distinct impression you loved it Nik. And you call that working for a living?

It would have gained more kudos as an article if the quad was built by a nutter in his/her shed. Just my 2 pence worth.
Old 17-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Having read the article I get the distinct impression you loved it Nik. And you call that working for a living?

It would have gained more kudos as an article if the quad was built by a nutter in his/her shed. Just my 2 pence worth.
Watch this space, I have plans (and parts and machine tools and welders)!

Cheers, Mick.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Chat Virgin

By all means put a quad in the Mag but dont let it have the front cover, centre page spread and 5 pages FFS its a trike magazine. The clues in the title
Old 17-09-2011, 10:59 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajay View Post
By all means put a quad in the Mag but dont let it have the front cover, centre page spread and 5 pages FFS its a trike magazine. The clues in the title

itll be a trike soon if they let nick loose on it and he crashes it and a wheel falls off.

I agree with the shed built comment too, I like shed built things...and bike enguined cars and helicopeter engined trikes....now where is that spare gas turbine I have lying about.

I suspect Mr Nick has trouble finding enough quality one off trikes /bikes to feature, there are not that many folks building stuff in sheds, there is a recession on. And building stuff can work out quite costly, espescially if you have a tool fetish too.

Last edited by addjunkie; 17-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 18-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quads seem to be the way forward..Ten years ago it was almost impossible to get a road legal quad in Britain..Nobody stocked them and very few people wanted them..in those days you could ride a bike over common land without the police chasing you..

Ten years down the line and big locked gates over entrances to common land, small gates for walkers, horses allowed but not bikes..keep Britain green..but now our local bike shop owner has retired and the new owner only sells quads, kids are starting to ride them everywhere..I remember in the 70's it was dune buggys and beach buggys, you don't see them anymore.

China is the place to watch..they make crappy stuff engines, frames, electrics..but now the Japs are starting to get them to build engines so either the quality will improve or the Jap bikes will fall to bits quickly.

Quads are not really suitable for our weather, bikes survive because they cut down the travel time by filtering, trikes are the nearest thing a disabled biker can use that reminds him/her of the freedom of the road but I think a quad is just another beach buggy..It's here now, It's news so it goes in shops and magazines..and it's probably great in America, Australia and New Zealand but in 10 years time I reckon there will still be motorbikes and trikes but not many quads..when all is said and done it's just a small car without a fairing.

John.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 20-09-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 20-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Chat Slapper

Johns last paragraph pretty much summed up my thoughts.. But I wouldn't mind seeing radical,bespoke quads, just none of the "off the shelf" stuff.
As a hotrodder,biker n triker for yrs, I always appreciate someone elses vision,and respect their technical prowess and dedication.
Most of the rod publications have other 'loosely' rod associated content from burlesque reviews to pinstriped loo seats, so surely a quad in trike mag is fine too?!?
Why not run a few articles on tricked out quads n let the readership decide? I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback.

Ok,Time for another tequila or 2....
Obd

Ps this had me thinking at work(which is unusual) I'm building a chopped zephyr 550 with bolt on hardtail, and twinned rear wheels(100mm apart) its nowhere near the msva wheel regs width, and as such would be classed as a bike, but!!!!... it does have 2 rear wheels,so is it technically a trike...when I get it finished, I'll never know which mags readers rides I should be sending it too.
All very confusing or is that the tequila again?(hic)
May swell have another refill.
Heh heh.

Last edited by onebaddaddy; 21-09-2011 at 06:26 PM.