100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Chat Virgin

Default Refurb brake calipers?

Hi does anyone know a good place to get calipers refurbished/buy refurb ones? Or if anyone has any CX650 ones laying around? ? Been looking on ebay but its slim pickings. Dose anyone know if other calipers fit? and disks while i think about it?? I finally got the sodding thing on the road, it only just passed the mot and then i snapped the bleed nip
Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Need to Get out More!

i dont know about your mechanical ability or willingness to do it but how about a refurb kit? its not too big a job to change seals/piston etc
Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Chat Pimp

like Pete said, its easy enough, doesn't need any great technical know-how. FFS, even I do my own, and i'm definitely mechanically bereft! Buy a kit and do it yourself. As for the bleed nipple, you should be able to get it out easily enough, and new ones can be picked up from almost auto-parts supplier.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conon View Post
As for the bleed nipple, you should be able to get it out easily enough.
easy-outs are wonderful things!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Chat Virgin

Im happy to diy, il have a look for a kit for the left hand side but i snapped the bleed nip off in the right caliper and can't get the bloody thing out. Was thinking about drilling it out but ill probably damage it more. It mite be CX500? Long story, i didn't like the Vt500 onboard disk thingy and the forks where knackered so i picked up a front end off ebay, we think is a CX650 or 500??
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Need to Get out More!

an easy out is a tapered thread tap with a left hand thread so you drill the nipple out to the correct size for the tap then screw the tap in, as its a tapered left hand thread your turning it anti clockwise and as it sinks into the hole the taper will eventually jam in the hole meaning instead of sinking more into the hole it rotates the nipple anticlockwise and unscrews it with out damaging the thread in the caliper
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzzzybum View Post
Hi does anyone know a good place to get calipers refurbished/buy refurb ones? Or if anyone has any CX650 ones laying around? ? Been looking on ebay but its slim pickings. Dose anyone know if other calipers fit? and disks while i think about it?? I finally got the sodding thing on the road, it only just passed the mot and then i snapped the bleed nip

It's not the end of the world but beware of expert advice provided by folks who have a degree in internet bullsh*t

Anyone who thinks getting a broken bleed nipple out with an 'Easy out' is simple has been reading too many romantic novels an has never obviously attempted the job. Unless you have skill and reasonably accurate machinery, forget it. 99.9% of the time your efforts will result in a scrap caliper. It can be done but it takes time, patience, skill and lots of luck with a capital L.

Best bet is to seek out a local engineering firm (ask round your mates) that has a Spark eroding machine and pay them to do it.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
It's not the end of the world. 99.9% of the time your efforts will result in a scrap caliper. It can be done but it takes time, patience, skill and lots of luck with a capital L.
It sounds as if you tightened it up instead of undoing it and it is really wedged in there..Easy outs work..but they snap easily too..so I would have to agree with most of the above..

probably should look for a secondhand replacement..

Having said that, you might as well try the easy out first because it is cheap and if it works you will feel good and save money..if it doesn't work you can still get that replacement.

John.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
It's not the end of the world but beware of expert advice provided by folks who have a degree in internet bullsh*t

Anyone who thinks getting a broken bleed nipple out with an 'Easy out' is simple has been reading too many romantic novels an has never obviously attempted the job. Unless you have skill and reasonably accurate machinery, forget it. 99.9% of the time your efforts will result in a scrap caliper. It can be done but it takes time, patience, skill and lots of luck with a capital L.

Best bet is to seek out a local engineering firm (ask round your mates) that has a Spark eroding machine and pay them to do it.
i dont have a degree in internet bullshit but i do work on an oil rig covered in sea water/snow/ice etc so when it comes to shifting siezed fasteners i think i can speak with experience. easy outs are tricky to use but the key is to remember they arent guarenteed to work so if your using a 12" shifter with a 3 foot pole on the end chances are its not gonna work and yes you will break it, however pick the right size tap, soak the piece in penetrating fluid overnight and give it a blast with a blowtorch before raunching on it you stand a good chance.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteHaddock View Post
i dont have a degree in internet bullshit but i do work on an oil rig covered in sea water/snow/ice etc so when it comes to shifting siezed fasteners i think i can speak with experience.
Yup, had 45 years experience myself like that, including stuff thats been buried for a hundred years in acid ground. Just spent 20 minutes typing an answer and justification to my post but the damned site has timed out, junking half a page of writing. I'm now really pissed off so I'm going for a beer. Be back to this later.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Never had much luck with easyouts meself, the problem with them is they can spread the bolt/stud/bleed screw and wedge it even more tightly in it's hole.

The key to removing broken things is violence and aggression.
But not mindless violence. You need to consider all the possiblities preferably talking to the culprit while considering your next move.

Imagine yourself as a torturer lay out your tools where the culprit can see them, this may frighten it into submission and save both of you a lot of suffering.

Start with the gentle methods which will not do further damage ie if a bit is still sticking out can you get a good pair of Moleys on it or cut a slot in it and use a screw driver. Heat is good in this case cos ally expands more than steel when hot thus loosening the little bugger's tongue, sorry I meant threads. Ahem.

As time goes on you need to increase the level of violence eventually you may need to go to do or die stuff, but as the calliper is almost scrap at this point you have less to lose.

Personally I would try a good bench drill cos bleed screws have a hole down the middle the drill easilly centres on the middle of the threads. Start with a bit just smaller than the thread size get this right down the middle of the screw and pull the thrad out of the hole like easing a coil spring out.
If that don't work go a size larger as bleed screws come in different sizes. Don't ignore car ones, as long as there is enough material in the calliper you can go to any size you like.

If anyone ever notices the oversize bleeder, you can tell them of the skill and patience required to achieve this object de arte.

With any luck they'll either be very impressed or bugger off and annoy some-one else.

Good luck have fun and remember it's already buggered you can only make it better.............or scrape your nuckles!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Or just fit a bleed banjo bolt...

Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

Have you got a photo to see just how much is broken off.

Just rebuilt the front brake caliper and front master cylinder on the trike.
And it is easy if you take your time, be methodical and dont force anything. Alot of penetration oil and a bit of heat if needed ..... though I do like Harry's suggestion of " The key to removing broken things is violence and aggression "
Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator

Lidls cheap vinegar is great for removing dirt and corrosion..but be careful when using it in conjunction with brake fluid because if you haven't cleaned it all off you will end up with nice big crystals in the system.

John.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I had a snapped bleed nipple, no way was it coming out. Drilled it out completly, drilled a bigger hole, tapped it and fitted a bolt then used a bleed banjo bolt and everything is hunky dory!!