100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 13-07-2011, 05:38 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I've been thinking on how I'd repair what you have and think there might be a way to make good that might be worth a shot though I'd still be looking at the rest of the welding with a critical eye.
Anyhow, how would cutting the cracked area completly in half and prepping it for a but weld as well as inserting a tight fitting sleeve inside sound. the sleeve in my reconing would serve to both help re alighning the 2 halfs and re enforce the repaired area. I'd still want to spread the load somehow to prevent the same failiure re occoring, perhaps by means of a 2 by 2 inch box running the length of the axle and attaching to the original mounting plates for the reliant suspention and picking up the new trike monts on the way. (I'm basically copying how my dumper truck rationalises the problem of not overloading a center pivoted rear salisbury axle in the same way. hope the idea translates but might need a picture to explain.
Old 13-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Chat Virgin

Thats exactly what i have done when i shortend my axle.you want to get as much tube each side of the cut as you possibly can for surport.weld round the cut. then part drill and plug weld each side be as good as new
i would check and do the other side if it was mine
Old 13-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Chat Slapper

Was thinking of trying to repair the exsisting axle, but we have now broken 3 Hub pullers trying to get the hub off to examine any damage to the half shaft, and to replace the oil seal and wheel bearing, two of the pullers that have the arms, both snapped or bent, so I bought a solid cast puller, that bolts on using the wheelnuts, and that cracked in half and the hub still didnt budge even a mm. Not sure what else I can try to get it off, been told a slide hammer would be the way to go, but not sure even that would do it, only other idea I have is to take the axle off and take it to an engineers to see if the can get the hubs off and half shafts out, I have a very strong suspicion that the half shaft is going to be damaged/more than likely bent and beyond use, unfortunately So I cant decide whether to spend a bit of money getting this axle disassembled and see if it is repairable or just cut my losses with it and buy a replacement axle and be done with it, dont know how easy it is to find replacement half shafts, havent come across any on my travels.

DubMeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmeister View Post
My local scrappy has 2 reliants in (or did the other day) and you shouldnt have to pay them more than £50 for one the only problem is they wont post
If you get them to take one off which they do free of charge and can get a courier to collect it from my house i will wrap it up ready for posting after collecting it from the scrappy
The scrappy no is 01228 520109 and is in carlisle
Cheers for the heads up, I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they still have them, how much they want and if and when they can get it off, and then I can look into how to go about getting it couriered, any help you can offer would be much appreciated, and definately worth a drink or two!! Will let you know how I get on with them tomorrow, Cheers again

H.A.B. - How About Bollocks!!!
Old 13-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Chat Virgin

you will need a press to remove the hubs.
if you take the brake shoes off. and undo the 4 bolts that hold the back plate on with the help of a slide hammer. you should be able to take the hub and plate out with the shaft. or take the axle of split it in half and hit the end of the shaft with a big hammer making sure you dont damage the end.if you do you can cut a bit of about 5mm
you might be able to tell if the shaft is bent. by spinning the wheel to see if it wobbles
Old 13-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Chat Slapper

Hi , Did you read my post number 4.
I am told the reliants are still there but not checked it out myself.
Old 14-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Chat Slapper

I did, Spyderider, cheers, am looking into it

Old 15-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Chatter Box

Have an axle for a robin if any good to you,am just the other side of northampton.

No cost ,just collect
Old 19-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Chat Slapper

Default Got the axle, now for the next bit . . .

Really appreciate the offer Mick, sods law I've just bought one!!! Bloody typical.

Now that I have the axle on to the mounting. Quite a few people pointed out how badly the axle was mounted originally, so my question is how is the best way to mount it? Whoever made it originally mounted the axle to the frame and then tied the rear seat directly onto it, I have already decided that I am going to rework the frame so that everything is attached to the frame and nothing is attached to the axle, and then mount the axle by itself so it isnt taking the weight directly. I also know from other posts that the original mount wasnt wide enough and not in the right place, I want to use 4 mounts, around the area that the original ones were mounted and then something nearer to the hubs.

My question is what is the best way to mount the axle? Obviously learning from someone elses mistakes, I dont want to weld directly to the axle, so I was thinking of sleeving it somehow, basically I am open to suggestions and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would also just like to take this opportunity to say thanks for all the help and advice that has been offered so far. I know about bikes but not too much about trikes, I have had to move to a trike due to disability and bought what I could afford and have been having to change things as and when they have gone wrong or when I have needed to adjust things to fit better. The help and advice on here has helped a lot and it is appreciated!!

Old 19-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

How to mount the axil??
Tis easy...... Put the lot on blocks/bricks. Offer the axil up, Put the kettle on, or get several beers. pull up a comfy chair and look at it for several hours while drinking said beverages. You'll surprise yourself by figuring it out yourself
Old 19-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Ummm usually mount things right leg first .......thats the sarccy bassas had there bit now ye might get some sensible answers

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 19-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Chat Slapper

Hi again
Have a good look at where the springs and dampers were mounted by Reliant. That will give you a clue as to where the stronger points for location are. Try not to do too much welding (if any) on the half shaft tubes and have a long look befors taking the saw to anything. Bear in mind that Reliant fitted the axle to their vans using just the spring locating plate at the ends, just where the stronger points are !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Make mounts to fit to the original reliant mounts. If yoy secure them using good grade steel bolts you will make future axle changes easier.
Old 19-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Chat Pimp and lover of the Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
How to mount the axil??
Tis easy...... Put the lot on blocks/bricks. Offer the axil up, Put the kettle on, or get several beers. pull up a comfy chair and look at it for several hours while drinking said beverages. You'll surprise yourself by figuring it out yourself
HHHmmm Peirre , definatly sounds like a frenchmen in there some where, sitting around all day drinking stella while trying to figure out how best to accomplise nothing.