100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Chat Virgin

Send a message via Skype™ to bulldog65
Default help with reg needed

lads,
as in the header, i'd need some info about registering a self made bike in the uk.
it has to be an EU registration to being able to take the bike to another EU country-and register it there-
without having to deal wi too much shite.
you gonna ask yourself, is he braindead, why not register it directly in this country............that doesn't work since austria is the country with the worst restrictions concerning modifying a vehicle.
i don't wanna be too pushy, but it's somewhat urgent.
fanx
george

that's what the bike looks like-->https://picasaweb.google.com/themigh...OrZ7sK0iaSSoAE

Old 11-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

it would need MSVA in this country, which it wont pass as it sits

if you wanted to bring it over and go down that route, then this is the manual that the testers use, so you can go through the test yourself and decided if the amount of work required is worth it

would a Q plated reg from the UK work in your country? how long would they allow you to run on it, before they then ask you to register it there, would you then have problems?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...%202010%20.pdf
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
it would need MSVA in this country, which it wont pass as it sits

MSVA is UK only and a bike that passes is not eligable for acceptance in another European country. It is only valid for a UK resident but the vehicle can be used overseas by a UK resident owner. The vehicle is not eligable for registration elsewhere over the channel. Many people whinge about our system but we are about the only European country allowed to build and register 1 offs.

Since we got the MSVA , there have been a few attempts by European builders to circumvent the system and register in the UK, but non have worked to my knowledge.

Only bikes over 10 years old are exempt and can be easily registered . In this case, registration paperwork from another country would have to be 'Found' to prove this and the person who registered it would have to be a UK resident.

So, Bulldog65, you're not the first person to ask, and you won't be the last. Without some highly dubious practice, I don't think you will be able to achieve it.

Last edited by happybiker; 11-07-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Chat Virgin

thanx for that m8, it would be registered in a mate's name in the uk, then after a certain period of time brought over. i used uk reg for nearly 20 years when i took me first bike over, now suddenly they're starting to check upon foreign regs.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog65 View Post
now suddenly they're starting to check upon foreign regs.

That's happening here as well (partly, I think due to the influx of east Europeans running old bangers on foreign plates without insurance, MOT etc). The push to enforce EEC legislation Re. standard number plates and an EEC wide vehicle database is gathering pace and will soon be a reality. The French especially are resisting the number plate legislation but it will get them eventually.

DVLA also seem to be tightening up on existing rules about modified vehicles.

IF you can register it as an old bike, does that place any restrictions on you? I know some EEC countries have horrendous restrictions on older vehicles. We in the UK are very lucky to be in the situation we are now

Last edited by happybiker; 11-07-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Chat Virgin

first of all this is not for me, what me m8 told me is the following-> once it's been reged and used for a year, whoever is the owner, user pretends to move to austria in his case and bring the bike as moving good, or something like that, then it can be reged-but only if it has a british EU reg, which i never heard of- and then sell it to me m8 in this specific case...............is that understandable?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Chat Virgin

as far as i know it's 3 months, i don't know anything about Q plates and all that, i didn't even know that there's different kindsa regs.
i would have bought a british v5, change the numbers gone that way, but that's me.
maybe i will explain the whole thing again---> he's gonna bring the bike over, then a uk friend of mine is gonna pretend he's the owner and try to do all the paperwork as if it was a british built bike, then that lad will move to austria and sell it to the actual owner, just in case that wasn't clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
would a Q plated reg from the UK work in your country? how long would they allow you to run on it, before they then ask you to register it there, would you then have problems?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...%202010%20.pdf
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

In my opinion (and you can see where I live), you can have a UK registered bike abroad, and you'll have few hassles if when stopped, you produce a UK licence, and can justifiably say you are over working on a contract. Of course you must then have UK insurance that covers you 364 days a year to be out of the country. On the 365th day of course you are popping back for your MoT and tax disc!

When you start to have a heavily modified vehicle and do not meet the above criteria, good luck if you get stopped....
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

All I can add is that for France (and I would presume holds true for other EU states) you need to prove it is homologated for the country where you wish to register it. Unfortunately this means 100bhp limit in France. This is easier for new bikes as the V5 contains the EU approval type, but for early bikes typically means an inspection and MoT (of course mph speedos, wrong way lights and even wrong E number lenses or non marked accessories will fail). But this is normally only possible for bog standard bikes.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Chat Virgin

that's what i did for 20 years m8, after moving here, but i brought uk bikes to austria not vice versa, know where i'm comig from.