100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Chat Virgin

Unhappy kawasaki clutch plate replacement

Hi
I have recently purchased a 7 plate clutch kit and springs for my KAWASAKI Z550GT i removed the old plates, let my other plates soak in oil for 12 hrs, i replaced all the plates and put new oil and filter in started the engine. When i put the trike into gear it went in fine. When i release the clutch it moves slightly and then stalls, i have spoke to some friends and they asked what oil i put in, i put in castrol actevo extra 4T 10w-40 WHICH THE MOTORBIKE SHOP SAID WOULD BE FINE FOR YEAR OF BIKE, it feels like the trike is pulling away in third gear i have to give it a lot of revs to even move it.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP AS I REALLY NEED TO BE BACK OUT ON THE ROAD, THANKS

P/S THE PLATES I HAVE GOT ARE AS FOLLOWS:
ONE PLATE HAS A DIAGONAL LINE LIKE THIS / ALL THE WAY AROUND. I HAVE FIVE PLATES WITH NUMBER 0.3 ON THEM AND ONE WITH 0.2 COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME AS I DONT KNOW WHAT ORDER TO PUT THEM IN. i KNOW YOU HAVE TO PUT A PRESSURE PLATE IN FIRST AND LAST BUT I DONT KNOW WHICH ONES THESE ARE CHEERS

Last edited by 1985-550gt; 03-04-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Sounds to me like you need to adjust the clutch push rod and cable.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Chat Virgin

Default push rod

i know how to adjust the cable but not the push rod could you help
Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

does sound like the rod etc is all too tight, like your putting it into gear, and slipping the clutch

I would slacken of the cable adjusters for starters

but from memory the rod adjuster is under a small rectangular plate on left hand side of engine, two fixings on the cover, and the adjuster was usually I think!! a bit of threaded rod with a slot in the top for a straight blade driver, and a 10mm locknut to set the adjustment

I would slacken off the cables and try again

if its still like it, then dont do it anymore, if your slipping the clutch then your just ruining the new one thats in there

remove the lil cover, hold the centre with screwdriver, undo the locknut and slowly turn the adjuster out, should at some point feel it go slack.

personally just to get it setup, I would try winding it in until you feel pressure, then backing it out by maybe half a turn, lock the locknut up

feel the clutch with the hand lever, adjust any cables so that you got a small amount of free play, then try it

hopefully the worst that you should get is that you put it into gear with a clunk, or a jolt and stall, if this is the case, then adjust the cable, once you get to about 30% of cable adjustment used, I would back off the cable, tighten the adjuster on the side of the engine, then go back to the cable

leave plenty of adjustment on the cable, thats easier to adjust on the move, or at side of road etc, than the one on the engine

this is all from memory and common sense, however I havent had one of these engines for probably 10+ years, so ready to be corrected
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Jedi Chat Master

no correction needed tony, bang on advice as usual
Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Chat Virgin

Default advise

Many thanks will try that and get back to you thanks again
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Chat Virgin

Default casing

Hi i removed the ally casing and looked for a little cover, i found one i removed this and behind it was a large nut about 26mm i replaced cover and looked for anothe little cover, i could not find anthing the only thing was a rubber seal which i removed and it was exctly the same size nut, i think i am going to get the trike towed to pbd in peterborough and see if they can sort it many thanks for all your suggestions and interest.
cheers steve.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

hang on will try to find a pic

Last edited by devon-tony; 05-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM

just searched a few pics, looks like I was totally wrong?? I only had the GPZ and Z550 motors, looks like they are different
Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Chat Virgin

Default thanks

Many thanks for your support am looking on you tube but no joy yet, will keep looking thanks again
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

I would first slacken off the cable. As your old old clutch plates wore down you will have had to adjust the cable to take up the free play. As you now have nice shiny new plates in, the cable will be way off.

On the handlebar, slacken the locknut on the adjuster on the clutch lever and screw the adjuster all the way in. Then look halfway down the front down tube on the left hand side of the bike(left side as if you are sat on the bike) There is another adjuster there so undo the locknut and screw the adjuster all the way in.

You will now have a very slack cable.

You must now take up the slack by unscrewing the adjuster you have just screwed in. Do this until you have taken up most of the slack. It's important you get this right as it's not good to have the cable outer foul on the adjuster. Once you are happy that the cable is seated properly and there is no more than a couple of mm free play, then move up to the adjuster on the handlebar and gradually unscrew the adjuster to take up any remaining free play. This will also be the point at which you want to start your engine and get a feel for the biting point of the clutch. You can continue to adjust the cable until you are happy that all is well and the clutch is working as it should. Do it in small increments, a bit at a time and take your time. Once you are happy make sure the locknuts are secured and go for a blat.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "