100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 21-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Chatter Box

Default No you cant modifie your bike, FUCK!

No longer a distant threat its now here.
I have a trike and i keep my bike on the road by virtue of carrying out my own servicing and repairs. To have this work done by others will price me off the road.

16-03-11 Compulsory ABS and Anti-Modification proposals from the European Union:
A series of measures that threaten riders’ freedom to make informed choices, potentially putting riders in harms way and threatening the right to free-movement, have been proposed by the European Commission (the body of appointed civil servants that shapes motorcycle policy). A committee of elected Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) is currently considering these proposals and has already started toconsider recommendations in advance of a critical vote on 4th May 2011.

Old 22-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Nasty..but I don't think they will be able to back date it..so bikes made before the date of the new law should remain exempt..

Mind you I thought they would never ban smoking..so what do I know..

John.
Old 22-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
..so what do I know..

John.
Answers on the back of a postcard please

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 22-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

MAG are fighting this head on, but as ever need your support. Full details of how you can help are in the press release on the MAG website.

http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a6836

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 22-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhaf View Post
Answers on the back of a postcard please
I think you can fit what John knows on the back of a stamp.

And still have room for his address.

Old 22-03-2011, 12:35 PM

I have just written to my MEP, Brian Simpson, who also happens to be the Chairman of the Transport and Tourism committee, expressing my views on the matter. It doesn't take long to email your MEP, if enough of us cause a fuss we are more likely to get something done about this as we did when we beat the leg protectors proposals from our own government. I'm not going to let it lie and if you pride yourself on your ability as a mechanic I humbly suggest you do the same.

Old 22-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

http://www.writetothem.com/

Do it now!!!
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 22-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default Germany

isn't this in place there already: the krauts got TUV???

sumthing like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMWJa...eature=related

feck, i'm in vid. Dj mode tonight. (forget the visuals just listen to the sound)

Bob Calvert R.I.P
Old 23-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Chat Slapper

i was reading in a bike newspaper that mag have already won this? i can understand it if you are a restricted licence holder.

wtf tho, next it will be feckin air bags and full body armor. the roads would be alot safer if car drivers were made to at least do a cbt course before passing their car test, it might just give them a insight into what its like to be a biker and not surrounded by a metal bubble.
Old 23-03-2011, 08:56 PM

If MAG had already won they wouldn't be asking us to help with the campaign, Wraith. I know you're a young chap new to the joys of biking, but some of us have been fighting various attempts at stupid legislation for the last three decades. You would have had compulsory leg protectors and tank mounted airbags already if we hadn't fought them off in the early 90's. The powers that be have been after us for a long time, mate. We used to have large scale demo runs through various European capitals to make our point to the bastards in Brussels and they don't like it. They expect everyone to just roll over and accept whatever bullshit they throw at us. We will never allow that to happen and due to some fine work by various people over the years we still have a reasonable degree of freedom to choose our own destiny.

You are the current generation that is benefiting from all that effort and I hope you take up the challenge to help future generations of riders enjoy those freedoms we have fought for. Take a look at the MAG website, and whilst your at it, have a shufty at the BMF and NABD websites too. There's a lot to learn, young Padawan.

Old 23-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Chat Slapper

Cool, nice 1 Grav il take a butchers . but do you agree with what i said about car drivers having to take a cbt? makes sense to me. most car only drivers dont seem to care about bikes 1 bit.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Wot Grav said goes for me too.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:09 PM

Wraith, we have been arguing for years for car drivers to achieve a minimum standard of driving before being allowed onto the roads, much as we do with the CBT. All too often it has fallen on deaf ears whilst the powers that be pile ever more stringent requirements upon us bikers. That may be about to change as I believe there is a proposal to have every learner have a minimum of 10 hours of instruction before being allowed to sit the practical car test. It might not be much, but it's a step in the right direction.

Old 24-03-2011, 12:53 PM

I ogt this reply and suggested that when it gets to a sensible point maybe the local MAG region could organise some kind of question and answer session so all the local MEP's could get full info - all i got back to that was a message from his PA saying "Thank you for your reply. However, I must inform you that Mr Hannan does not meet with any interest groups or lobbyists as a matter of principle."

Anyway here is the main reply

Thank you for your email regarding the latest EU proposal on motorcycles. For information, the exact reference is a European Commission proposal for an EU Regulation on the approval and market surveillance of two- or three-wheel vehicles and quadricycles.

This Commission proposal is currently before the European Parliament in 1st reading with the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) Committee (which Mr Harbour MEP chairs) leading on the discussions. The Committee vote is scheduled for 15th June with adoption by the Parliament expected in September. However, since I am not a Member of the IMCO Committee I won't be able to vote on the proposal in June.

Please note that a public stakeholder hearing will be held on 22nd March. I strongly encourage you to follow this event, which will be webstreamed at 1530 GMT (1630 Brussels time). Please follow the link below:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/wps-eu...CO&language=en

Although discussions have begun on the relative merits and drawbacks of the proposal, with due attention paid to biker, repairer, and manufacturer concerns, as well as to the safety and environmental performance of motorcycles, I would like to emphasise that no decisions have yet been taken on the proposal by the Committee. Over the coming months, MEPs will be considering the initial proposals for changes to the draft law made by the MEP who is responsible for the dossier, and other Members from across the political spectrum will then also table their own amendments.

I can assure you that the Committee will be taking a close look at this proposal because the associated costs and benefits have not been covered in the Commission's Impact Assessment.

The likely manner in which we will achieve this is by introducing an obligation on the Commission to undertake further cost benefit assessments, on a case-by-case basis, before any specific anti-tampering technical measures are proposed. In any case, the European Parliament retains a right of scrutiny over any such future measures.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Hannan
Old 24-03-2011, 03:25 PM

pretty much the same reply...

STATEMENT BEGINS

This Commission proposal is currently before the European Parliament with the Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) Committee, which I Chair. A public hearing was held yesterday in the Parliament, in which a number of participants brought up the issues you raise. Although discussions have begun on the relative merits and drawbacks of the proposal, with due attention paid to biker, repairer, and manufacturer concerns, as well as to the safety and environmental performance of motorcycles, I would like to emphasise that no decisions have yet been taken on the proposal by the Committee.

I can confirm that the responsible MEP, Mr Wim van de Camp, is an active motorcyclist from the Netherlands who is not only an expert on the subject, but also clearly a bike enthusiast and biker friendly.

On your specific concerns, I would like to remind you that it is already the case that motorcycle manufacturers are fitting ABS as well as traction control systems on high powered motorcycles, and this follows consumer demand. Additionally, as you may know, anti-tampering measures are intended to stop alterations to the vehicle’s power for safety purposes or to meet environmental performance requirements. These are currently limited to mopeds and motorcycles under 125cc producing less than 11kW. However, the Commission proposes to extend this cover to all vehicles within the scope of the draft law.

Let me assure you that any measures or proposals bought forward will be subject to cost-benefit assessments and feasibility studies. I hope this has helped to allay your concerns.

STATEMENT ENDS

My dad got this::::

Could you tell me where you got the "alert" to this from, please ?
It sounds to me - but of course I have not been able to check yet - yet another silly misleading anti-foreigner(Brussels) rumour. It is so easy to bash foreigners.

Why do I think that ? Because, with similar legislation in the past to smooth the differences between the 27 member states of the EU for motor-cars, (otherwise if you take your bike to the continent for a holiday and there is no harmonised EU law, you can run into French or German or whatever national laws which are different to ours (if they have not been harmonised by us MEPs) and get arrested. The point is that these EU laws tend to apply to NEW cars and bikes, still being manufactured, not to old bangers.
But if you can steer me to where this story started from, I can check it out.
All good wishes
Bill NDCould you tell me where you got the "alert" to this from, please ?
It sounds to me - but of course I have not been able to check yet - yet another silly misleading anti-foreigner(Brussels) rumour. It is so easy to bash foreigners.
Why do I think that ? Because, with similar legislation in the past to smooth the differences between the 27 member states of the EU for motor-cars, (otherwise if you take your bike to the continent for a holiday and there is no harmonised EU law, you can run into French or German or whatever national laws which are different to ours (if they have not been harmonised by us MEPs) and get arrested. The point is that these EU laws tend to apply to NEW cars and bikes, still being manufactured, not to old bangers.
But if you can steer me to where this story started from, I can check it out.
All good wishes
Bill ND (bill.newtondunn@europarl.europa.eu)
------------------------

Last edited by gothtec; 24-03-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 25-03-2011, 04:04 PM

gothtec can you send that one to MAG as it sound like it is from an MEP who gives shit and might actually engage in a sensible conversation. The political liaison guys email address is on the mag website
Old 25-03-2011, 07:14 PM

My MEP hasn't bothered to reply yet.

Old 27-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Chat Slapper

Default EU Proposals

More info on the EU proposals here:

http://www.righttoride.eu/?p=6829

Last edited by Gloria; 27-03-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 28-03-2011, 08:34 AM

I also got this reply:

"Dear Anthony

Thank you for your message. With my UKIP colleagues I am engaged in a continuing fight against this crazy EU introducing ridiculous rules and regulations. As and when this particular issue comes to Parliament for a vote we shall without doubt vote against but I can forecast the outcome; we will be outvoted by a considerable margin. That is because all the other MEPs support the Commission, have no capacity to think things through and vote like sheep. UKIP say, "Better Off Out".

Yours sincerely

Derek Clark MEP "

Thumpsup for UKIP...
------------------------