100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 25-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Chat Pimp

Default Getting legal on a bike

After many months of scrimping and saving I can finally afford to take bike licence training. I have riding experiance although I havn't ridden in about 15 years. Is there a course where the center provides the bike as I don't want to have to buy a 125. Im off to the Honda shop on the A2 (nr Canterbury) tomorrow to speak to someone there about courses but 'Id like to have a bit of background info so I know to ask the right questions. Has anyone any advice they could pass on?

Thanks in advance!
Old 25-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

You can do Direct Access that takes you through each step of the route to a full licence using your chosen training schools bikes. They all have a couple of 125's for CBT and further training will be done on a bigger bike up to and including the test. The Kwak ER5 is a popular choice for a lot of training schools, so this gives you an idea of what to expect if you go the direct access route.

Shop around a bit first to see who is charging what in your area. Ask about their pass rate, many places will be happy to talk through their quality of training on offer so a bit of research is always good.

There's some advice on the DVLA website that should help too. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...vers/index.htm

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 25-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Need to Get out More!

Id also recommend direct access, I did mine and after passing the cbt on a 125 did the rest of my training on a cb500 provided by the training school which gave me lots more confidence on 'big' bikes once i passed. I believe it only cost about 5 extra per hour to use their bike but provided you buy a good condition bike thats quite old, it shouldnt loose much money if you look after it.
Old 25-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

yeah just look up Direct access training..last time I looked it was about 400 ish and the bloke I spoke to practically guaranteed a pass, and the use of bikes, I think Virago 535 and said they had a block of test dates so they could take you there as soon as they said you were ready.

John.
Old 25-03-2011, 10:30 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I used the direct access route after doing my time on a 125 which got hopeless in terms of running costs (I was a rookie at the time) I think I paid a bit more for the course than some reading the others answers you've had but I did use the centers bikes. One thing I'd hold out on if I did it again was the first place I used put me on a gs500 twin which I didn't get on with - kept locking the rear wheel on the emergency stop. I used a different test center for the retest where they used a kwak 500twin which in my view is a far better machine (front and rear are better matched and I just prefered the feel) I'd definately be more choosy about the machine I was asked to ride and weather I got on with it. (a choice would be good - I liked the xj6 but the gs500 twin and bandit weren't for me and the kwak was like a glove, everything spot on - It can make a world of difference when you'r starting out and lacking confidence if the bikes not confortable. These days I'd be fne with any of those bikes I recon but that is nearly a decade of all weather riding and sidecars later............
Old 26-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Chat Pimp

Thanks for all the replies. Its given me food for thought.
Old 26-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Location: Romney Marsh...like Wales but flatter and the sheep don't keep looking over their shoulders!!

I'd call the shop first as the instructors aren't based there, they're at Manston, near Ramsgate and being a weekend will be tied up with CBTs.
Don't be shy with them, ask anything you're unsure about, they're good guys and will see you right, as they get a lot of business from recommendations.
I know many people locally who've used them without problems. Anything I can help with just ask
cheers
Phil
Old 27-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Chat Pimp

I went to the Honda shop (Kent Motorcycles) on the A2 yesterday and they couldnt have been more helpful. I spoke at length with Hadrian about the course and I'm all signed up to do my CBT next Satuday! Ill be popping along to H cafe (next door to the shop) on Thursday evening to start on my theory. I had SWMBO asking me questions from the theory test and so far havn't got one wrong!