100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 26-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Chatter Box

Default bilbao.

hi all , just booked me trip to bilbao from pompey then through france and over at plymouth in june.
anybody recommend a good scenic /quiet route from bilbao or a good place to stay over for the odd night?. got 5 days, tues to sun to do the route and will make a change from last year doing over 2k in 7 days and going round in circles, fun though!
Old 27-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Chat Slapper

I'm doing a similar route myself this year, although from Santander. The first 200 miles into France are pretty boring, but it gets better. Two main options are hug the west coast all the way up. Some realy nice towns including LaRochelle. Or blast up thrugh the middle. Rocamadour is a nice place for lunch. Then spend a few days in the Massive central. Some nice roads if you stay off the payages. Get Google maps out and have a play, then check it out on a propper map. That's what I did.

Have a good trip.
Timbo
Old 27-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Jedi Chat Master

There's some fantastic roads and scenery in the Dordogne and Lot areas. Loads of prehistoric stuff and caves to look at as well. Some really good campsites as well.
Have a look at " Moulin du Perie, 45700 Sauveterre Le Lemance". Biker feindly. good pitches, Swimming in pool and wild pond, staff that can't do enough for you, and a free bottle of plonk when you leave.

Last edited by Steve D; 27-01-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 27-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

All of France is nice and is one of my favourite biking destinations. La Rochelle has been mentioned and I would like to add the Ile de Re which is just off the coast over a very steep bridge. Saint Martin de Re is a lovely little seaside town and the campsite is very nice. In fact, just go and enjoy yourself.
Old 27-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
All of France is nice and is one of my favourite biking destinations. La Rochelle has been mentioned and I would like to add the Ile de Re which is just off the coast over a very steep bridge. Saint Martin de Re is a lovely little seaside town and the campsite is very nice. In fact, just go and enjoy yourself.
I agree, Ile de re is great and good cafe just off the bridge. If you do LaRochelle check out the Blue Boat cafe in the harbour. Fresh fish cooked on a grill, that's all they do, but cheap and very tasty. France is biking heaven as far as I'm concerned. What port are you sailing back from ?
Old 27-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Chatter Box

Default cheers

thanks for the info! have bin to france 4 times b4, done brittany, normandy, loire vally etc plus most of the war graves etc. never done it this way about though! yeh, going from pompey on the sunday in june, but 2 nights on the boat, should be fun. then back through roscoff to plymouth, where i live.
sounds strange going from pompey i hear you say when plymouth do santander. but pompey 80quid cheaper and the mate i go with lives north of exeter and he always comes to me so i thought i would return the favour and travel to him this time. have bin to la rochelle last year, nice.
crossing is 16o quid, return, cabin 2 nights over. 5th june we sail, say hi if your there!!! cheers.
Old 27-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Default Bilbao

The Coast road up to france is pretty well rated I've run up it myself to San Sebastion and it's a graet ride...
Old 27-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Chatter Box

Default cheers

san sebastian here we come.....
Old 27-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Invest in a pair of binoculars for the boat trip. We saw all sorts of whales and dolphins and even a pod of killer whales swimming in the bow wake. Fixed focus are best as you don't waste time adjusting them. I got a pair of 7x50 from a chandlers for 25.
Old 27-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Chatter Box

Default pished...

i reckon on the long trip u cud find me in the bar, i might see elephants instead of whales i fear.... . will bear it in mind though, hic.......
Old 27-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Now I wish I was going with you.
Old 28-01-2011, 10:36 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Me, I'd make sure I took in at least one of the remaining WW2 German submarine pens.

See here

'Coupla months and I'm off to Germany (Laboe) to visit U995, then Krakow to visit Auschwitz and a few othe places (Berlin, Bratislava, Linz, Prague, Magdeburg, Munster, Amsterdam).
Old 28-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
i reckon on the long trip u cud find me in the bar, i might see elephants instead of whales i fear.... . will bear it in mind though, hic.......
Take your beer on deck. Strip down to your skiddies and grab a sun lounger. You could use the binoculars to oggle all the talent. It's the only way to fly.
Old 28-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Chatter Box

Default haha

haha , now your talking! by the way, how much is the toll for a m/cycle on a toll road not that i want to be on one, ive managed to avoid them so far.
also, has anyone ever tried them small narrow beds , like camp beds i mean , instead of kipping on the floor. are they small enuff to put across the bike?, cheers.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
has anyone ever tried them small narrow beds , like camp beds i mean , instead of kipping on the floor. are they small enuff to put across the bike?, cheers.
Do you mean one of these CAMP BEDS from Argos.
Yeah I have, I used to buy 2-3 of them per year, they`re ok, but the negative points are:
They weigh around 2kgs
They`re disposable.
They can tip you out quite easily of you roll over in the night, or when you get on it
If like me you go to bed after a beer or two, you`ll flop onto it and break it. As the canvas is under tension and does split along the seam near the poles, if you place too much weight in one place, such as kneeling onto it to get in bed.

I`ve found they last around 2 weeks on tour before its too knackered & is binned.

I won`t mention what may happen if one of the legs pops out of place and catches you somewhere sensitive

These day I tend to carry either an airbed, or inflatable sleeping mat as an idiot proof solution
Old 30-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Chatter Box

Default cheers

well the airbed does sound a better bet. will look em up. the beds from argos ive bin told not got a patch on the ones from a camping shop, the latter being more expensive but a lot more sturdy. think i will check out the airbed still. cheers.